Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

Externalities and the NGX

Captains!So here's a little glamor shot to start off your Friday morning!The PMDG 737-800 over Renton, WA:NGX_External_Preview_001.jpgNow that we have gotten that out of the way- lets talk about the latest update on the NGX, shall we? We've made you wait quite awhile for a new update on the PMDG 737-NGX, so this weekend we are going to make it up to you by pushing out a couple of updates, focusing primarily on the external airplane model!In the previous update thread it seems that a few folks were getting upset at the length of time before this update arrived. I have been noticeably (I hope?) absent from the forum since late November due in large part to the development workload over the past three months. All of us wanted to bring you an update more quickly- but we have been heads-down on some pretty significant technology implementations that required us to "break" a bunch of stuff in order to get the new goodies installed...The "breaking" had a pretty significant visual impact, so we decided to just hold off until we were ready to show you something beautiful... Okay- so we've shown you quite a bit of the Virtual Cockpit (with more to come soon!) and we've only thrown out a few teasers on the external model... But today we are going to focus entirely on the external by giving you a quick glimpse of the 737-800 airplane as it was being prepared for a test flight out of KRNT this week...The flight test PMDG 737-800 on the hard stand at KRNT:NGX_External_Preview_002.jpgFrom a detail standpoint, the NGX airplanes are by far the most detailed we have ever produced. In this image, you can see that the airplane is just dripping with detail, whether it be vortex generators, ground support equipment, accurately modeled 3D doors, antenna, probes, doubling plates and even gap seals are modeled in exquisite detail.This image was taken as the airplane was being prepared for yet another test flight out of KRNT.Support Equipment:NGX_External_Preview_003.jpgIn the image above, you will notice that the airplane is connected to ground power, ground air conditioning and a ground air-start unit. Each of these units is selectable via an options menu system that is contained right within the FMS, much like it was on the PMDG MD-11.For user options and ground support in the NGX, we have put the functionality into the FMS in order to keep you from having to pull open external menus, thus accentuating the immersion of the simulation experience.Air Start Cart Connected:NGX_External_Preview_004.jpgOn the left side of the airplane is the ground air conditioning unit (attached with the big yellow hose.) On the right side we have the ground power unit (forward near the nose) and the ground air start unit (adjacent to the engine.) The ground air start unit is accurately modeled, connects correctly to the airplane when selected, and will provide you with sufficient high pressure air to get the NGX started with minimum of fuss.Soak in the detail of the open cargo doors, the gap seals around the fuselage/fairing sections, the antenna attach points... All designed to bring your eye right into the scene...For those of you who love details, you will note that the amount of air pressure provided to you for an engine start will vary realistically with atmospheric conditions and airport elevation. Plugged in here in Renton on a cold winter's day- you will get a very different pressure reading that you might in, say Colorado Springs on a hot summer day...And as the pressure provided by the start cart varies, so too will the time it takes to motor that first engine up to proper RPM for the start!(Just one of many little details we are providing for your simming pleasure!)Keeping Warm:NGX_External_Preview_005.jpgIn the image above, you will notice how the detail level of the NGX really starts to pop as you get close to the airplane. From the smooth skin surface, accurate reflectivity, window details, wheels/tires, engines, fans and probes all the way to the connectors holding the air conditioning hose in place under the airplane!Now, since we are simulating the airplane in tremendous depth, it is worth pointing out that the air conditioning unit is not an eye candy placebo. This air conditioning unit WORKS by providing regulated 22C/70F air to the mix manifold, from where it enters the distribution system to adjust air temperature throughout the cabin of the airplane.We do this by using volumetric data to calculate the rate of temperature changed based on the volume of air being provided to the mix manifold, and the current difference between the conditioned air and the current cabin temperature for every zone inside the airplane...If your airplane has been baking in the equatorial sun, or freezing on the tarmac in Moscow, you can call for a conditioning unit to cool/warm the airplane thus saving you money and start cycles on your APU!(Okay- another little detail: There are cabin zone temperature sensors located in various places inside the airplane, and some of them are located adjacent to doors... So, over time you will notice a change in zone temperature depending upon the difference between outside temperature and cabin air temp, as well as whether the door in question is opened or closed... Geeky? Probably... But sometimes we just like the little touches that hardly anyone will notice. They make a product COMPLETE...) Rolling Up Our Sleeves:NGX_External_Preview_006.jpgIn this image, the reversers have been actuated in order to facilitate some last minute adjustments... You can see the detail in the cabin interior, entryways, stairs and of course, the reverser sleeves.The red plug in the 2L cabin window is an extra set of air data probes... You will commonly see such a plug on flight test aircraft, as it is always valuable to have more than one set of data available during test flight. The test flight package also includes a drogue hanging from the tail, and this option package is selectable via the FMS for those who are interested in it!Always leave yourself an Exit:NGX_External_Preview_007.jpgAll of the doors on the airplane can be controlled from the OPTIONS pages within the FMS. On this airplane we are also giving you the ability to operate the over-wing exits should the need arise. (And we hope it does NOT!) In this image you can see the incredible detail of antenna, probes, and even the plug latches along the side of the forward cargo door frame... No detail is too small...Missing from this flight test airplane are the multiple variations/placement of satellite antenna available, as well as the option to keep or discard the eyebrow windows. We have tried to anticipate the kinds of options that you will want to have available to you so that they can be implemented with a few button punches in the FMS!It is important also to note that the winglet and non winglet models also have their own flight models, and the correctly simulated differences in performance...Details Details and More Details:NGX_External_Preview_008.jpgThis in-flight shot provides a great view of the detail around the nose of the airplane. Notice the probes, antenna and even the fully operable angle of attack indexers... Their behavior has been modeled after those found on the airplane... Again just one of those little details that will stand out and be pleasing to the eye!Gratuitous Belly Shot:NGX_External_Preview_009.jpgThe attention to detail under the airplane is just as precise as above. We have spared no effort modeling even the tiniest of details so that you can bring the view in nice and close without sacrificing the visual appeal of the airplane!During the course of the weekend we are going to add more images to this thread. The new images will focus on some in-close details of the airplane as we take you on a virtual walk-around... As well as some exciting night shots to show you the internal and external lighting in glorious detail!For example, we'll show you a bit more of this:NGX_External_Preview_011.jpgUntil then... stay tuned!Oh- I nearly forgot to mention: The good folks over at OrbX have hooked us up with some fantastic scenery against which you are going to start seeing the NGX displayed. These images don't do the scenery justice, but suffice it to say that the OrbX team simply cannot be beat when it comes to detail... If you haven't tried their work- please do... We promise you will not be disappointed!UPDATE 30JAN2011 - We've added 10 more nice preview shots further in the thread here:http://forum.avsim.net/topic/325428-externalities-and-the-ngx/page__view__findpost__p__1920238

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

WOWWW Beatiful !!! amazing!!! i love it :)is the NGX still in development? Would love to see some more screens of the terrain radar!My Chief pilot set is waiting to ride this plane :-)MichaelKnittl

Ok, I was excited for the NGX and I believed you when you said it was going to be very realistic but after this update, its even more realistic than I thought FSX could handle. I am blown away.EDIT: After this update, I might be picking myself some ORBX scenery(Don't own any but I have heard many great things about them) and considering a purchase of the manuals

Awesome!!

AMD 7900X  |  ASRock Steel Legend X670E  |  G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 6000  |  MSI 6950XT  |  Noctua NH-D14  

EVGA Super NOVA 850W  |  Cooler Master HAF932  |  Hisense 43" 4K UHD  |  Win11

THATS A REAL AIRCRAFT WITH PMDG LIVERY PRODUCED IN PHOTOSHOPYou guys havnt developed that your having us on!!!!!!!!!!!!!As for Orbx i have the complete Aust airports and land scenery all of it amazing - Orbx is to scenery as PMDG are to aircraft.

EDIT: After this update, I might be picking myself some ORBX scenery(Don't own any but I have heard many great things about them) and considering a purchase of the manuals
We'll have some MUCH better shots as far as showing off the scenery coming soon here - we wanted to show the plane at KRNT in the first external shots because that's where NGs are actually made. We'll be taking the NGX to Australia for some super high detail airport shots soon as well as flying her over the greater PNW, NRM and PJF areas in the US and Canada. Expect to see some local liveries for those areas - Qantas or Virgin Blue in Australia for instance, WestJet up in NRM, Alaska in PFJ, etc.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Oh hell yes! Seeing this when I got home completely made staying up all night on C shift worth it. -Lee Barber

Very nice indeed!

Rob Bates
Simming since the age of 10 with MSFS 5.0

P3D v5.0 | 10700K (@stock) | EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 | Z490-E ROG STRIX | 32GB 3600MHz | 970 EVO Plus M.2 & EVO 850 SSDs | H115i cooling | NZXT H440 Case | Samsung 32" CJG 1440p Curved Monitor | Virtual-Fly Ruddo & TQ3+ | Thrustmaster FCS Sidestick | Skalarki MCDU

Ask me about (my most flown): FSLabs A320-X series | MaddogX
In the hangar: Majestic Q400 Pro | PMDG 747 | A2A C182, Cherokee, Comanche & Spitfire

There is no words for what You doing guys.Just perfect

Nice shots and good work guys:)Looking forward to more updates, extrenal looks awsome:)Looks like terrain on the display.... Rolling%20Eyes.gif Cheers,

Simon

There's something else of major note in that last shot too besides the terrain... something no one's been able to do in FS until now. tongue.gifBut yes, this puts the questions about EGPWS to rest... it's all there, fully modelled with all the correct logic and symbology.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com