Sign in to follow this  
Bman2006

5040x1024 - Flickering Mouse

Good evening-I am running through all of my reinstalls (new SB build) and I get an odd flickering of the mouse / thinking icon if I cycle through the views and come back to the VC. I am pretty sure this is due to flipping through the different views and scrolling through a 2D view that doesn't agree with such a wide resolution. I had a similar problem way back with FSMap pop-up gauge and the developer gave me a modified panel.cfg file. I have no idea what he did but I trust it was something associated with the gauge size / location.I can even get the problem to occur if I flip up the default 430 GPS in the trike. The flight will start as soon as I pop-up the gauge. Does anyone know what I can do to the panel.cfg to eliminate this problem?Win7 64 bitAsus P8P67 / SB 2600k @ 4.7 / G.Skill DDR 3 1600 (8 gb) / eVGA GTX 460 1GB / Samsung SSDTriplehead 2 Go + MatroxFSX + AccelerationThanksBman.

Benjamin Van Eps

Funny -- kind of... a thread 5 down from mine..http://forum.avsim.net/topic/326346-fsx-with-eyefinityviewing-panels-problems/Same issue. I will follow there. ThanksBman.

Benjamin Van Eps

The solution is to alter the size and, if desired, position of the panel windows for each aircraft so affected.For example, PMDG 747-400X is cured by amending its four ‘panel.cfg’ files. That’s 2 each for 747-400 & 747-400F.The amendments made are:OverHeaDunder [Window02] change window_size = 1.000, 1.000 to 0.300, 0.950 window_pos = 0.000, 0.000 to 0.350, 0.000 BIG3under [Window04] change window_size = 1.000, 1.000 to 0.300, 0.900 window_pos = 0.000, 0.000 to 0.350, 0.050 CDUunder [Window06] make window_size = 0.150, 0.950PEDestalunder [Window07] make window_size = 0.150, 0.500RADiounder [Window08] make window_size = 0.200, 0.900 WAYS TO POSITION To place to top left: change position=4 to position=0. (I think there are 9 possible positions)Delete the window_pos line.That line is for fine tuning and overrides the position line if added. It is written so that each of two factors indicate the left and top position. Factor 1.000 is 100% so 0.350 will position about one third of the way across the widescreen. 0.000 sets it to the top of the screen. SETTING THE SIZEFirst number gives the width; second the height. So if you want the vertical size to be half the screen height the number is 0.500. If you want the width to be half of one of the 3 screens the number would be 0.166 (or thereabouts). The width percentage is of the 3 screens together, i.e half of one screen is one sixth of the three.

Regards

Frank Jones

The solution is to alter the size and, if desired, position of the panel windows for each aircraft so affected.For example, PMDG 747-400X is cured by amending its four ‘panel.cfg’ files. That’s 2 each for 747-400 & 747-400F.The amendments made are:OverHeaDunder [Window02] change window_size = 1.000, 1.000 to 0.300, 0.950 window_pos = 0.000, 0.000 to 0.350, 0.000 BIG3under [Window04] change window_size = 1.000, 1.000 to 0.300, 0.900 window_pos = 0.000, 0.000 to 0.350, 0.050 CDUunder [Window06] make window_size = 0.150, 0.950PEDestalunder [Window07] make window_size = 0.150, 0.500RADiounder [Window08] make window_size = 0.200, 0.900 WAYS TO POSITION To place to top left: change position=4 to position=0. (I think there are 9 possible positions)Delete the window_pos line.That line is for fine tuning and overrides the position line if added. It is written so that each of two factors indicate the left and top position. Factor 1.000 is 100% so 0.350 will position about one third of the way across the widescreen. 0.000 sets it to the top of the screen. SETTING THE SIZEFirst number gives the width; second the height. So if you want the vertical size to be half the screen height the number is 0.500. If you want the width to be half of one of the 3 screens the number would be 0.166 (or thereabouts). The width percentage is of the 3 screens together, i.e half of one screen is one sixth of the three.
Fixed my problem I had.. it was driving me nuts..!

Jonahbird-Thanks for the killer post! I appreciate the help. I do have more questions that perhaps you can help me with.Take for example this panel://--------------------------------------------------------[Window18]ident=190Background_color=0,0,0 visible=0window_size= 0.12, 0.309window_pos= 0.714, 0.020size_mm=450,360window_size_ratio=1.000 position=0zorder=5gauge00=Flight1_GarminG1000_510!GCU475, 0,0,450,360gauge01=flight1_mustang!winclose190, 412,12,27,27 I have adjusted the size but the actual pp-up panel remains the same size and location. What is the "window_size_ratio=" and what does it control. Also, you note to delete the window_pos line - does that also override the window size that I have punched in? Thanks for your help. I have many planes that I will need to adjust the panels. Do you recommend FSPanelStudio to do a quicker edit of all of my panels?

Benjamin Van Eps

Sorry - I don't know that program. All I've learnt is by trial and error. Before you attempt to amend config files, always make a copy as backup. That way you can get back to the beginning if you mess up. So that I know where my amendments are, once I am satisfied with them, I add to the end of the line //FEJ mod.I don't have the Mustang but it looks as if it should work. Did you close the file and reboot before trying it? I have found that necessary sometimes.The other lines should remain as they are. I don't know what the importance of the "window_size_ratio" line is. I find the addition (or amendment) of the "window_size" and "window_pos" lines is all that is necessary.Try putting 2 forward slashes in front of the line - position=0Frank

Regards

Frank Jones

From the FSX SDK:

windowsize_ratio A multiplier for the size of the panel window (default is 1.0 for 100% of the original size). This is ignored if window_size is set. For example, if the size_mm for a given panel is 200, 200 and the size_mm for the first panel in the panel.cfg is 1024 x 768, the given panel would occupy 19% of the screen in the x dimension and 26% in the y dimension, or a total of 5% of the total screen area. If windowsize_ratio value to set to 2.0, the panel’s x dimension will be 38% of the screen width; its y dimension will be 52% of the screen height. In total, the panel will now occupy 20% of the total screen area.
Note: The sentence highlighted in red is my emphasis. The point being that if the window_size= specification is used, the windowsize_ratio= entry has no affect or purpose at all.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks for the response - more questions... If "This is ignored if window_size is set" how do you know what the original size is going to be - meaning if you never set the window size to begin with, would it be the full 1024x768? I am at the office and can't check right now... seems reasonable. What is the ratio of MM to pixels? Near 1?Take the example again below:window_size= 0.12, 0.309window_pos= 0.714, 0.020size_mm=450,360Do I need to adjust both the window size and the size_mm? I have a disconnect between the two different sizes. Thanks again for your help.. I am thinking panelstudio might help me understand it a little better.

Benjamin Van Eps

Bman2006, When you get a chance, could you compare the performance of your SB 2600K@4.7Ghz system with whatever you had before. Those of us who are considering the SB don't have many reports yet!Thanks

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

The new machine is rocking compared to my old Q6600 @ 3.3.Locked at 40, no blurries and minimal stutters.I haven't had a real chance to put it to some serious testing but with Lancair + REX + PNW at 5040x1024 - this is a quick result.This doesn't really do it justice since Fraps frags things down a bit, especially at full 5040 resolution but in general - I am amazed.

Benjamin Van Eps

Thanks for the response - more questions... If "This is ignored if window_size is set" how do you know what the original size is going to be - meaning if you never set the window size to begin with, would it be the full 1024x768? I am at the office and can't check right now... seems reasonable. What is the ratio of MM to pixels? Near 1?Take the example again below:window_size= 0.12, 0.309window_pos= 0.714, 0.020size_mm=450,360Do I need to adjust both the window size and the size_mm?
Glad to have been of help - so far!The answer is - No. To fully control the size and position of a panel you only have to add the lines "window_size= x.xxx, x.xxx" and "window_pos= x.xxx, x.xxx" - note the spaces. They will override any other instruction in that section of the panelcfg. If those lines are already present you simply have to amend as appropriate. I don't recommend altering or removing any other lines.If your Mustang is still not doing what you want I wonder if there are two panelcfgs. My favourite aircraft PMDG's 747-400X (hence the example I quote) has 4 panel configs and each must be amended if you want to use them all. I don't bother with the 2D panels, as I always fly VC so I only amend those.RegardsFrank

Regards

Frank Jones

"This is ignored if window_size is set" how do you know what the original size is going to be - meaning if you never set the window size to begin with, would it be the full 1024x768? I am at the office and can't check right now... seems reasonable.
Unless there is an entry, no.
What is the ratio of MM to pixels? Near 1?
If the screen resolution is set "standard", yes 1 mm ~= 1 pixel
Take the example again below:window_size= 0.12, 0.309window_pos= 0.714, 0.020size_mm=450,360Do I need to adjust both the window size and the size_mm? I have a disconnect between the two different sizes.
In this instance, since there is no background bitmap specified, the size_mm= entry is the size/ratio of the single gauge to be displayed, which in this case is the G1000. Note the last two sets of numbers in the gauge entry!gauge00=Flight1_GarminG1000_510!GCU475, 0,0,450,360
Thanks again for your help.. I am thinking panelstudio might help me understand it a little better.
I strongly urge anyone to invest in FS Panel Studio. I've had it since it was first released, and have enjoyed the FREE updates ever since. It's hands down the best ~$30 I've ever spent.I've been urging the author to update it once again to make allowance for the prevalence of wide-screen monitors. At the moment, all of the "calculations" it makes are still based on a 4:3 ratio display. As a result, one must hunt-and-peck to find an acceptable result for 16:9 or 16:10 screen sizes... :(
The new machine is rocking compared to my old Q6600 @ 3.3.Locked at 40, no blurries and minimal stutters.
One word: W O W !

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The new machine is rocking compared to my old Q6600 @ 3.3.Locked at 40, no blurries and minimal stutters.I haven't had a real chance to put it to some serious testing but with Lancair + REX + PNW at 5040x1024 - this is a quick result.This doesn't really do it justice since Fraps frags things down a bit, especially at full 5040 resolution but in general - I am amazed.
As a matter of interest. I found that by changing the fraps write location(Drive) to be different from the FSX drive almost take care of any slowdown. If you write to the same drive then fraps try to read and write to the same drive.. therefore the stutters now and again.For Example, with Fraps writing to drive D with FSX on C, no more stutters..! Fluid.. awesome videos..!Even if you have an old type harddrive, still beat it writing to same disk.My drive C is 256 Corair Solid statemy Drive D is 256 western digitaland videos is just fantastic.!Would have loved to have two solid state drives, but yeah

N4GIX / Bill -Thanks a lot for your efforts on this thread. I will keep on kicking around the numbers and see what I can come with. I did manage to start getting the gauge to move around and size as I would like. It's still a guessing game on some level with my Bezel management with the Matrox but I am certainly getting closer.Regarding the Size_mm = Follow up question - if the window_size is adjusted, does it automatically adjust the gauge size that is called out or will the gauge not get any smaller unless I also reduce the gauge size indicated by the last two numbers. While experimenting last night with the panel.cfg, I could reduce the window_size to something very small like .1 yet the gauge would only reduce in width to what I presume the gauge00 size to be... 450,360.As you noted:gauge00=Flight1_GarminG1000_510!GCU475, 0,0,450,360If I want to drop below that size, I must also change the 450, 360 size in the gauge location also? Noted on the FS Panel Studio - I might have to check it out. I do wonder however like you said about the widescreen applicability. At 5040x1024 things would be wonky I am sure. Blik - yes, I have the recording on a non-FSX drive. Ultimately, it is the 5040x1024 resolution that is dragging everything down with it. If I record at half-size, it's certainly better but still noticeable impact. If I fly in windowed mode closer to a normal resolution (1680x1024) - then there is no impact really. There is processing headroom at that resolution no problem.

Benjamin Van Eps

I just got an Eyefinity setup going not too long ago and googled this same problem that I am having. Only I don't know exactly what to make of Jonahbird's post, because I have the same problem with every single aircraft, and I don't know what to change the panel sizes to for each one (I don't have the PMDG 747, but the main ones I'm flying are the CLS 767, MD80, and the Carenado Skylane). It happens not only when I try to bring up another panel window, but even just, like the original poster said, cycling through the various views causes the problem as well. So basically I'd have to do nothing but stay in the one VC view the entire flight to avoid the problem. While the mouse is flickering I'm still able to click on things in the cockpit, but my frames are cut by at least half.