Great Review, Thanks a lot, you pretty much sealed my intent to spend the extra $ and get the PFC Saab Yoke. Not that your yoke isn't impressive its just not worth the additional time cash and effort required to get some programmable switches on it. Waiting for VR to produce one with them would be an option but if they do the price will probably end up being the same, and I like the PFC warranty.

RE Thomason Jr.

BrassEmYou may want to check the tightness of that bolt that holds the yoke to the shaft. When I moved my yoke I felt a little clunk. My needed just a little more tightening and it was just fine. I'm having an issue with mine in FSX. When I pitch it's very jerky and the plane moves violently and the roll is not very responsive. After about 20 seconds it stopped responding altogether. I have calibrated it so that's no the issue. I went into FSX controls and looked at what was active for the yoke and saw other stuff that such as throttle etc. Do I need to do a set up from scratch inside FSX? Do I need FSUIPC to set it up?ThanksAlan

Unfortunately the yoke shaft is solid and extends right back into the base. I would have to "mic" out the diameter to see if there is any hollow bar stock that could replace the solid piece.The shaft is held in place by 6 sturdy springs internally to provide resistance. There is no "detent" position as such. I would like to add at least a coms switch to the yoke so I will have another look at it and post back.Cheers,
BrassEmI just removed my yoke to install it in my cockpit and the shaft is indeed hollow so I will be looking at adding buttons on the yoke handles.Alan

G'day Alan,I had some time and was trying to find the connectors for the PCB and came back to this thread for the PCB pic, and saw the new posts. Thanks for the heads up on the hollow yoke shaft. I will see if I can purchase one from VRinsight and do a retro fit. I trust you got your calibration issue sorted? I went to using FSUIPC (registered) to control all the axis as I'm using many input devices. (With the ability to profile different hardware setups.) How is the cockpit going? and were you able to add additional switches?Cheers,BrassEm.

G'day Alan,I had some time and was trying to find the connectors for the PCB and came back to this thread for the PCB pic, and saw the new posts. Thanks for the heads up on the hollow yoke shaft. I will see if I can purchase one from VRinsight and do a retro fit. I trust you got your calibration issue sorted? I went to using FSUIPC (registered) to control all the axis as I'm using many input devices. (With the ability to profile different hardware setups.) How is the cockpit going? and were you able to add additional switches?Cheers,BrassEm.
BrassEmYes I did finally get it to work via FSUIPC. I am thinking of drilled down through the cast aluminum yoke to add a PTT button and maybe an AP cancel button. However, a replacement yoke my be the way to go. I am checking with Precision Flight Controls.Alan

G'day Alan, I hope the yoke mod is going well. How is it working out? VRinsight have been very helpfull with my enquiries about reconfiguring my yoke. It appears they are receiving requests from others as well, and are responding to that. I am looking forward to see how this develops. It would be great if you could post photos if you can. Cheers, BrassEm.

G'day Alan, I hope the yoke mod is going well. How is it working out? VRinsight have been very helpfull with my enquiries about reconfiguring my yoke. It appears they are receiving requests from others as well, and are responding to that. I am looking forward to see how this develops. It would be great if you could post photos if you can. Cheers, BrassEm.
BrassEmI haven't heard back from VR and PFC weren't very interested. I may mod it myself. If I do I will post.Alan

I haven't heard back from VR and PFC weren't very interested. I may mod it myself. If I do I will post.
G'day Alan, I've been looking very very closely on all the requirements needed to configure my yoke, and try and work out any issues before I go ahead and modifiy it. I hope to post soon. (Pics of course.) Cheers, BrassEm.

G'day Alan, I can understand VRinsight's position. I'm sure what I have in mind with my switch configuration for the yoke would be totally different to the needs of other users. It would be hard to accommodate all configurations. As long as we can add functioning switches to the yoke with a bit of engineering then everyone will be very happy! I will be trying to get the maximum functionality that I can from the yoke handle without compromising the great comfort and ergonomics that it has. I love flying both Military and Commercial heavies so I need to cater for both, which means it will be a generic switch fit out. Cheers, BrassEm.

I'm well into the modification of my VRinsight yoke. Now that I have time to fully investigate the possibilities of modifiying my yoke, I have discovered that I have made an observation that is totally incorrect. My yoke shaft is indeed hollow as you said Alan, and sincerely apologise to all for stating otherwise. This will make passing switch cables throught to the control PCB oh so much easier. (Searching for inline connectors now.) Cheers, BrassEm.

So, how are the mods coming? I'm very much interested into putting buttons myself on the VRI yoke, if it's possible.I have no way of buying a PFC yoke, that's simply out of my budget. But VRI looks way more attractive.

The question also open for me is, is VRI yoke itself also hollow or is it full solid cast?

Just out of curiosity, what buttons are actually on a real 737-800? Push to talk? Trim? TOGA? I have a trackIR so will have no need for a hat. I'm just trying to figure out if the buttons can be replaceable on a throttle. The problem with the HOTAS Warthog is that the throttle is made to function in the left hand!

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering