Sign in to follow this  
Superpilotv2

RealAir Turbine Duke

O ok, those speeds you posted before where they from the POH of the piston version (i have a POH) or for the turbine version?
They are from the POH of the turbine version. I don't have a POH but I saw it when I flew 157JT and jotted down the v speeds for reference.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

They are from the POH of the turbine version. I don't have a POH but I saw it when I flew 157JT and jotted down the v speeds for reference.
Do you know if you can buy an AIM or POH for the Turbine?

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Do you know if you can buy an AIM or POH for the Turbine?
If you purchase a real one there are supplemental pages that are kept with the original POH that list all the changes in operation, new checklists, weight and balance, etc. Since this is not a published dedicated manual it wouldn't be something available for a one off purchase. The checklists provided by RealAir are actually quite good and with the v-speeds I posted you have the essential information for flight. Turbines are just so much simpler to operate than piston (especially turbocharged piston) engines. Watch torque, ITT and oil temps, then don't overspeed the aircraft. You can fly cruise speed to the FAF, then slow it down and land no problem.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

If you purchase a real one there are supplemental pages that are kept with the original POH that list all the changes in operation, new checklists, weight and balance, etc. Since this is not a published dedicated manual it wouldn't be something available for a one off purchase. The checklists provided by RealAir are actually quite good and with the v-speeds I posted you have the essential information for flight. Turbines are just so much simpler to operate than piston (especially turbocharged piston) engines. Watch torque, ITT and oil temps, then don't overspeed the aircraft. You can fly cruise speed to the FAF, then slow it down and land no problem.
Many thanks to zfehr for posting what we didn't have any access to. As our customers know we had no problem publishing the most relevant parts of the piston B60 POH, since it is readily available, not just to us, but to anyone who cares to buy the printed one. We looked far and wide for more info on the Duke T and much of what we published had to be a combination of guesswork and common sense.As zfehr mentions, it is perfectly possible to fly the Duke Turbine without a detailed POH, since all the rules for operation are already available and they are:* Don't let temps, turbine, props or torque go over limits* You can fly, climb and cruise at any speed that isn't over VNE or under minimum control speed (91 knots) and up to 25,000 feet, or to 28,000 at least with oxygen (FSX does not "model" oxygen).* You can use a very wide variety of power, prop and fuel flow settings, provided you don't stress the engines* You can descend at almost any speed, except to be mindful of pressurisation "not getting behind" the altitude change in a steep descent.* You can land on a sixpence or take it easy with a long run out, and you can take off in a liesurely way or on full available power on a short runway.* Rotate at 90 + knots depending on load for a short take off, or even sooner since acceleration will take you very quickly to a safe rotate speed, if you are on a short field.* Follow the start up procedures and even without brakes on you'll get only a slight forward movement, provided you keep the condition levers just a little forward on Low, low idle, not mid idle. Or you can start with the standard CTR E.* You're good to go!!Rob - RealAir

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

...Or you can start with the standard CTR E....
Now what's the fun in that ? Big%20Grin.gifOkay okay, I know, people who don't have much time and need to be in the air quickly have a good reason to use it.But I for one am one of those guys who like to do detailed startup and shutdown checklists and correct sequences.... that's almost as fun as flying itself :)

Mathieu Souphy

To anyone that may think the performance is excessive on the3 trubine duke.....Check out the website of the outfit that does the real world mod.Look at the power to weight ratio.......1050 max hp available with a gross wt of just over 7000 pounds....no wonder the beast is a rocket. can you imagine what this aircraft would perform like at -30C and a low weight!!!!Those concerned that you can't firewall the throttles without exceeding limets.....this is a PT6-34....the pilot is expected to set the throttles to the max limeting factor......I've got a couple thousand hours on the -34.I would love to fly this aircraft. Infact it is one I would love to own......but that is what a lottery is for!This aircraft is a fabulous creation. Real Air has done a great job.Dave

Just landed the Duke Turbine from Detroit to Myrtle Beach.This plane is a real winner!I had initial problems just after purchasing the Duke, but found it was an issue with W7 and not the Duke. Once I ran everything with ADMIN Priv, my problems went away.Again, a great plane to fly and enjoy.One thing though...I can't imagine the cost of ownership, as well as flight operational per flight hour. To own this retro-fit, you'd have to have six silver spoons hanging out of your mouth....;)

Just landed the Duke Turbine from Detroit to Myrtle Beach.This plane is a real winner!I had initial problems just after purchasing the Duke, but found it was an issue with W7 and not the Duke. Once I ran everything with ADMIN Priv, my problems went away.Again, a great plane to fly and enjoy.One thing though...I can't imagine the cost of ownership, as well as flight operational per flight hour. To own this retro-fit, you'd have to have six silver spoons hanging out of your mouth....;)
I know the owner of the 4th Royal Turbine built. He spends about 150k a year to fly it and flies about 300 hours a year so his hourly costs are about 500 an hour. While that may sound like a lot it is much less costly than flying a King Air and is only a little higher than many piston twins. Understand when you are operating a million a year business and flying to your contacts make sense this is a cost of doing business so if you didn't fly there you wouldn't do as much business... and wouldn't make as much money... and then couldn't afford to operate the aircraft! Whew... that was a mouthful

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

I know the owner of the 4th Royal Turbine built. He spends about 150k a year to fly it and flies about 300 hours a year so his hourly costs are about 500 an hour. While that may sound like a lot it is much less costly than flying a King Air and is only a little higher than many piston twins. Understand when you are operating a million a year business and flying to your contacts make sense this is a cost of doing business so if you didn't fly there you wouldn't do as much business... and wouldn't make as much money... and then couldn't afford to operate the aircraft! Whew... that was a mouthful
What makes a C90 so much more expensive to operate? I'm not in the market, :( , just have an interest in small twin turbines. I'm getting my Royal Duke tuned in day by day. It is smooth and I can fly it with a lot of sliders to the right in FSX. I like it.Kdub

What makes a C90 so much more expensive to operate? I'm not in the market, :( , just have an interest in small twin turbines. I'm getting my Royal Duke tuned in day by day. It is smooth and I can fly it with a lot of sliders to the right in FSX. I like it.Kdub
The phase inspections and general maintenance tend to be more time consuming and therefore cost more to do. You quickly approach $1,000/hr when you move up to the King Air 90 and if it's a 200 it will be over $1,000/hr. You can operate the Royal Turbine for very close the same costs as a TBM700/850. While they are a fair comparison of seating, speed, fuel burn, type of trip (mission profile), the person thinking of spending 3 mil on a TBM usually won't be in the market for a modified piston to turboprop twin and vice versa a person considering buying the 25-35 year old Duke and modifying it with the Turbine upgrade is in an entire different market.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Rob, Sean I bought the T but I still love my P to death. Any chance we could get a VC upgrade for the old P? The look sooooo much different with the gauge reflections and dust 'n' dirt? Any thoughts on ever offering that?

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Finally broke down and added the Turbine to the B60. Good Lord! What a plane the Turbine is! Deserves all the plaudits and more! I respectfully add my congratulations to Rob and Sean. Simply awesome!Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Wow...as I pondered....it takes BIG BUCKS to fly this bird. But, boy if this simulation is even close to the real deal....just one word.....WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!Lovin it, especially the custom graphics like when (in learning and probably virtually bankrupting myself) I lost the left engine and the entire cowl was covered in oil! I had never seen this before with any other custom plane and was VERY MUCH impressed with the work and 'behind the scene's of this release. The sound package as many have already posted about, inside or outside the cockpit is a beaut. You really believe that those turbines are doing their work. I find though that to keep the oi temps around 62 C, that I have to have the oil-cooler doors open in flight. If that is now...in Winter, what might those temperatures be in July or August even if you are at 12,000 F ASL as I was the other day. What is the highest SAFE operating oil temperature to allow for, other than just trying to keep it away from bumping 'against the red'....Mitch

The phase inspections and general maintenance tend to be more time consuming and therefore cost more to do. You quickly approach $1,000/hr when you move up to the King Air 90 and if it's a 200 it will be over $1,000/hr. You can operate the Royal Turbine for very close the same costs as a TBM700/850. While they are a fair comparison of seating, speed, fuel burn, type of trip (mission profile), the person thinking of spending 3 mil on a TBM usually won't be in the market for a modified piston to turboprop twin and vice versa a person considering buying the 25-35 year old Duke and modifying it with the Turbine upgrade is in an entire different market.
As I'm flying my Turbine Duke in The Great Pacific NorthWest Tonight in my Virtual World,I'm going to remind my wife all the money I'm saving her!!!! lolBig%20Grin.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Wow...as I pondered....it takes BIG BUCKS to fly this bird. But, boy if this simulation is even close to the real deal....just one word.....WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!Lovin it, especially the custom graphics like when (in learning and probably virtually bankrupting myself) I lost the left engine and the entire cowl was covered in oil! I had never seen this before with any other custom plane and was VERY MUCH impressed with the work and 'behind the scene's of this release. The sound package as many have already posted about, inside or outside the cockpit is a beaut. You really believe that those turbines are doing their work. I find though that to keep the oi temps around 62 C, that I have to have the oil-cooler doors open in flight. If that is now...in Winter, what might those temperatures be in July or August even if you are at 12,000 F ASL as I was the other day. What is the highest SAFE operating oil temperature to allow for, other than just trying to keep it away from bumping 'against the red'....Mitch
To be frank we probably took a bit of artistic license on the oil doors because the flat rated PW6 is probably reasonably cool running. The key is airspeed. As long as you are flying with decent airflow over the cowlings the doors are not that necessary. But if you are climbing near full power at only 120 knots that's when things get hot!All the best,Rob - RealAir

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page