Sign in to follow this  
Superpilotv2

RealAir Turbine Duke

test
What the heck should that be? A joke or what? Come on, be more serious.

Guest bstolle

test testSorry, couldn't resist ;)

very nice work, congratulations Robone suggestion for next update. It´s a very nice a/c and the fact that you must care the engine is a challenge, but I´m having problems checking the oil gauges because the power levers hide them, perhaps is possible to hide the levers like we do with the control yoke. I always try to fly without autopilot up to FL150 and when I move the point of view trying to read the oil gauges, sometimes I lost the attitude control.regards to all

What the heck should that be? A joke or what? Come on, be more serious.
sorry, was my first post here and i wasn´t sure how it works. never againc.

Have you tried checking out the manual... there should be a clickspot for an alternate angle so you can see behind the throttle quad.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

if you bring PROP RPM to 2000, and throttles to 95% or less in cruise (there is almost no need to operate the Duke at full power anyway) you will have a very clear view of the Oil Temp gauges and thus should be able to operate the oil doors effectively.No need to hide the throttles or change views. As an alternative, you can invest in TrackIR, then you need only lean forward a bit and peak over the throttle quadrant.

RealAir has already said that they are looking at this - but in the interim, delete the camera views insidethe aircraft.cfg file (make a backup first) and your problem goes away :(
Thx Bert

Guest bstolle
if you bring PROP RPM to 2000, and throttles to 95% or less in cruise (there is almost no need to operate the Duke at full power anyway) you will have a very clear view of the Oil Temp gauges and thus should be able to operate the oil doors effectively.No need to hide the throttles or change views. As an alternative, you can invest in TrackIR, then you need only lean forward a bit and peak over the throttle quadrant.
Is the cooling that bad on the Turbine Duke ?I remember having the Dash-7 and PC-6 running at max power for loong periods of time without any cooling problems, and especially these 2 planes are rather slow during climb.Oil temp was never a factor but ITT/EGT and torque limits had to be observed closely.

Is the cooling that bad on the Turbine Duke ?I remember having the Dash-7 and PC-6 running at max power for loong periods of time without any cooling problems, and especially these 2 planes are rather slow during climb.Oil temp was never a factor but ITT/EGT and torque limits had to be observed closely.
Yeah in 4000 or so hours on a PT6 I never had any kind of temperature issue with the pratts.Also, for the first time I started the Duke manually today..... On the Duke do you really have to have the ignition to ON? On the king airs as soon as you cranked over the starter, the ignition came on automatically. Since this is a PT6 engine it should not be "duke" specific so I cant see it mattering if this is a duke or not. All the PT6's I flew you didn't have to touch the auto-ignition switch to start the engine.

Yeah in 4000 or so hours on a PT6 I never had any kind of temperature issue with the pratts.Also, for the first time I started the Duke manually today..... On the Duke do you really have to have the ignition to ON? On the king airs as soon as you cranked over the starter, the ignition came on automatically. Since this is a PT6 engine it should not be "duke" specific so I cant see it mattering if this is a duke or not. All the PT6's I flew you didn't have to touch the auto-ignition switch to start the engine.
From Royal Turbine checklist:Before Starting Engine Checklist1. Preflight Inspection - complete2. Fuel Selectors - on3. Fuel Condition Levers - Cutoff4. Prop Controls - full forward5. Power levers - idle6. Landing Gear lever - down7. Ciruit breaker - in8. Electrical switches - off9. Avionics Maser - off10. Battery check - #1,#2 (>22v) then both (N/A on sim version)11. Annunciator panel - press to test12. Ignition (#1 & #2) - check auto & on, leave on13. Aux boost pumps (#1 & #2) - check, then off14. Wing Boost pumps (#1 & #2) - onStarting Engine1. Propeller area - clear2. Starter - On a. Check voltage > 15v b. Check oil pressure indicating c. Check Ng > 15%3. Fuel Condition Lever - full forward4. ITT - monitor (abort if over 850c)5. Starter - off approx. 52% Ng6. Ignition - off7. Engine Instruments - check8. Generator - on9. Cabin heating, air conditioning - as required10. Instrument air - check11. Repeat 1-8 for second engine12. Avionics Master - on13. Lights - on as required14. Instrument air - check

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

I don;t think it is that prone to overheating, but in this video they do have the doors open (1:43) on climb out.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnf8_OZs5rQKdub

very nice work, congratulations Robone suggestion for next update. It´s a very nice a/c and the fact that you must care the engine is a challenge, but I´m having problems checking the oil gauges because the power levers hide them, perhaps is possible to hide the levers like we do with the control yoke. I always try to fly without autopilot up to FL150 and when I move the point of view trying to read the oil gauges, sometimes I lost the attitude control.regards to all
You can pull back the prop levers, switch views, and use standard fsx CTR,SHIFT,BACKSPACE and ENTER Keys to move your view sideways, forward and up and down, or use Track IR. In real aircraft it is also sometimes awkward to access every gauge readout. Rob - RealAir
Hi Bernt! Nice to see you on this thread. As I said perhaps in another thread or further up this one, we took a little creative license to give the pilot things to do to look after the engines. You're probably right that the PT6A runs relatively cool in its de-rated state, but we wanted to discourage firewalling the throttles in order to promote good engine management habits. You can defeat engine failures in the options by turning off failures altogether.All the best,Rob - RealAir

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Nice to see you on this thread. As I said perhaps in another thread or further up this one, we took a little creative license to give the pilot things to do to look after the engines. You're probably right that the PT6A runs relatively cool in its de-rated state, but we wanted to discourage firewalling the throttles in order to promote good engine management habits. You can defeat engine failures in the options by turning off failures altogether.All the best,Rob - RealAir
I think that was brilliant thinking on your part. I find that flying the Duke is FAR more interesting knowing that an engine failure can be induced through poor management of the engines rather just as a random occurance.Eric

Guest bstolle

@ Rob,Hi Rob,Congratulations! I'm already very tempted to get the PT6 Duke. Don't know if or how long I can resist....So if you stay at or below the ITT/Torque limit the PT6 keeps working? If that's the case then it's not a little creative but realistic.Firewalling a PT6 is never a good idea as it exceeds almost every limit very easily.@ EricConfirmed. It's too bad that A2A isn't making anything similar. I bought the A2A Accusim Spitfire and that simply the most incredible realistic engine/systems simulation I've ever seen. I'm not interested in military planes but despite its few flight dynamic shortcomings I enjoy it very much.Best regardsBernt

Rob, Are there plans to correct the ASI Green Arc?Vmc = 96ktsVr = 102ktsVx = 110ktsVy = 120ktsVfe = 134kts flaps 30 degrees, approach flaps of 15 degrees can be at 173ktsVle = 173ktsVne = 235kts 198kts, sorry the 235 value is for the piston version, turboprops get certified differentlyRecommended climb speed is 140kts and cruise climb is 175kts (which still yields a 2,000fpm climb rate!) This post has been edited by zfehr: 06 March 2011 - 04:38 PM Thanks,Les Parson

@ Rob,Hi Rob,Congratulations! I'm already very tempted to get the PT6 Duke. Don't know if or how long I can resist....So if you stay at or below the ITT/Torque limit the PT6 keeps working? If that's the case then it's not a little creative but realistic.Firewalling a PT6 is never a good idea as it exceeds almost every limit very easily.Best regardsBernt
In the case of the turbine duke the chances of damaging the engine by exceeding red line limits is not likely. The reason is because the Duke engine is Flat rated (I keep reading Derated but it is actually Flat rated). The -35 engine is actually a 750 HP engine. When you redline the torques and prop rpm on the duke you are only pushing about 530HP which is far from the engines limit. Chances are the airframe on the duke is limited to this reduced HP hence the need to Flat rate the engines. I used to fly the king air 100 with the garrett -10 engines. The airframe was limited to 715 HP but then engines were capable of 1000HP. This gave you full power at just about every take off scenario you can think of and nice cool engines on take off too.