Sign in to follow this  
cmpbellsjc

Is MegaSceneryEarth finished?

Not that I was over thrilled with MegaSceneryEarth, I went or should say that I tried to go to their site today to see if there has been any new coverage areas added and seems like their link from the PC Aviator front page is dead http://www.megasceneryearth.com/store . Has anyone heard anything regarding this? I'm wondering if they decided to call it quits on that line of products? They weren't all great, but none the less a few of the areas weren't bad. Now it seems that only a few of the areas they did are available from the PC Aviator store.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Not that I was over thrilled with MegaSceneryEarth, I went or should say that I tried to go to their site today to see if there has been any new coverage areas added and seems like their link from the PC Aviator front page is dead http://www.megasceneryearth.com/store . Has anyone heard anything regarding this? I'm wondering if they decided to call it quits on that line of products? They weren't all great, but none the less a few of the areas weren't bad. Now it seems that only a few of the areas they did are available from the PC Aviator store.
Yeah, despite their marketing claims of changing FSX forever!

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Yeah, despite their marketing claims of changing FSX forever!
LOL, yeah I forgot about that claim..BTW Mike, did you ever see my reply to you in the thread on the freeware Brasil scenery?

It looks like Tileproxy and the competition did them in. There is also a developer who is selling photoscenery for large portions of the U.S. on an external USB drive and I think his offering was very competitively priced vs the MegaScenery Earth product.IMHO, photoscenery was really needed for FS9 since it had such poor or low density autogen, but with FSX that all changed. This is also attributable to the the Photoscenery vs GEX/UTX with autogen debate, and I much prefer proper landclass with autogen vs the flat ground and no autogen photoscenery scenario. From what I have gathered by user comments, the product was priced too high and the quality was lacking in some areas, but I do remember being drawn in by their hype initally, hoping my home state of Pennsylvania would be released. Alas, they only got as far as New Jersey........

LOL, yeah I forgot about that claim..BTW Mike, did you ever see my reply to you in the thread on the freeware Brasil scenery?
No I actually have just been looking on the fly with my phone. When I replied to this thread it was while I was waiting for my wife while she was trying on clothes. Now I am standing in a horribly long line up at walmart. I will check later when i get home.

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

PC Aviator has terrible customer service, even to the point of being SMUG. I had some problems ordering something with them via mail and they acted like they could gie a rats rear end about my lost product that I paid for (lost in the mail).Not shocked really....

It looks like Tileproxy and the competition did them in. There is also a developer who is selling photoscenery for large portions of the U.S. on an external USB drive and I think his offering was very competitively priced vs the MegaScenery Earth product.IMHO, photoscenery was really needed for FS9 since it had such poor or low density autogen, but with FSX that all changed. This is also attributable to the the Photoscenery vs GEX/UTX with autogen debate, and I much prefer proper landclass with autogen vs the flat ground and no autogen photoscenery scenario. From what I have gathered by user comments, the product was priced too high and the quality was lacking in some areas, but I do remember being drawn in by their hype initally, hoping my home state of Pennsylvania would be released. Alas, they only got as far as New Jersey........
You could be right about the competition. However the company you mentioned selling scenery on a USB drive is Sim Saavy and according to the fellow that owns the company, he hasn't sold that much of his product from what he says.I think your right though that photoscenery may not be as popular for FSX as it was for FS9, however there is no way I would give up my MegaScenery SoCal, Phoenix, Dallas, or Vegas stuff. In my opinion, that was some of the best photoscenery ever made for the US considering that it did have some autogen, not a lot, but at least some, and the night textures were pretty good. I think it all went wrong for them when they started using the satellite imagery of which it was pretty bad in some areas like Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. Those two areas where my first purchase and I remember being so disappointed because I had wanted photo scenery for that area for so long, then when I got it, it was full of clouds on the ground and the colors were horrible.I still like photo real when its done well and I prefer that it has autogen, especially for an area like south Florida where it is really flat, however the real deal breaker for me with photoreal is night textures, of which MegaScenery and MegaSceneryEarth did have. No night textures and I wont even consider it.I guess that when they started the MegaScenery Earth project they bit off more than they could chew with their claim that they would cover the US or more in a short period of time, and then when some of the stuff they did release was sub-par they probably lost a lot of sales via word of mouth. In the end it probably wasn't profitable enough of an endevor for them to continue.

altstiff,I have had nothing but praise for PC AVIATOR. They have always been very helpful to me. Robert (the owner) and Mark have bent over backwards for me.Paul :(

PC Aviator has terrible customer service, even to the point of being SMUG. I had some problems ordering something with them via mail and they acted like they could gie a rats rear end about my lost product that I paid for (lost in the mail).Not shocked really....
That's what I thought initially, but when I ahd problems downloading MegaScenery PNW (for FS2004), they promptly sent me a DVD free of charge. I received it a week later because it was around Christmas, otherwise it might have gotten earlier.I have been very happy with my MegaScenery USA2005 and MegaSceneryEarth purchases. The quality of MSE NYC is really good, and it thrills me every time to approach runway 22L and see exactly the same view as I saw when I flew into NYC for real half a year ago. I also really like Vegas and Hawaii, wouldn't want to fly without them.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

I've never used any MegaScenery products, but I just checked the link in the first post, and their site seems to be up and running fine right now. I knew their stuff was expensive, but WOW, those prices seem really high to me. I think when and if I decide to start buying add-on scenery (I usually buy mainly aircraft), I'll definitely be looking towards the ORBX stuff instead of the MegaScenery stuff (at least in areas they both cover, like the Pacific Northwest).Anyhoo, only posting to this thread to say that the link in the first post works for me, so it at least looks like they're still around. :) -George(Edited to add: I've bought a few things from PC Aviator and have really had no issues aside from the almost daily emails about their 'deals'. :() I personally consider them a reputable outfit, and have not had any issues with my purchases from them, though admittedly, I've only purchased downloadable versions of products, and can't comment on having boxed products shipped.)

altstiff,I have had nothing but praise for PC AVIATOR. They have always been very helpful to me. Robert (the owner) and Mark have bent over backwards for me.Paul :(
I agree 100% with that; I have actually called them and spoken to Mark several times and he has never been anything other than friendly and professional. In fact, I will generally buy anything from them first if they have the product based on how accessible they have been for questions. Let's face it, how many of these dealers can actually be contacted by phone 4 days a week during business hours. Just my 2 cents.Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

My situation was a nightmare with them. I agree that Mark was always very willing and helpful but Pamela from customer service was rude, and frankly, out to lunch. I ended up getting my CC company to refund my money as Robert would do little about it. I came to the conclusion that Pamela must be related to Robert some how as no employer would tolerate behavior like Pamela's.

You can call me a little biased since I develop freeware scenery for MSE, but I have been using it well before I came up with the idea to do that.I prefer MSE over other satellite scenery because they have great night textures and they also have water masks, whereas most other satellite scenery, while cheaper, does not mask out water or have night textures.That said, I am disappointed in some of there offerings I will admit. For example the NY scenery sets have excellent color balancing and are very rich in color, whereas the majority of the NJ/DE textures are very bright and washed out. Also some of the larger lakes and rivers are only partially water masked, at times oddly so.So it's not perfect, but it does look pretty great as far as I'm concerned.I think they are waiting for more info on Flight before they continue developing new areas.

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

Founder/Designer, MSE Airports

Hi,The link works again.In january, there were really good bargains at PC aviator for the seattle and denver areas . Those megascenery earth products are of very good quality. Unfortunately, it is usually rather expensive.I have to admit I am a huge photoscenery fan.
Thanks for the heads up. I guess the link or something on their end was down over the weekend.As far as service goes, I have never had any problem with them and although not all the MSE stuff is great some isn't bad like a few of us have pointed out. Mainly I enjoy the night textures since very few devs who do photo scenery do night time.