Sign in to follow this  
MELKOR

Gauge that shows joystick position versus "actual" position?

I'm wondering if anyone has written a gauge that shows the position of a particular joystick axis, versus the "actual" position of the axis as far as FS is concerned.Let me give an example:In planes that have an auto-throttle, the plane will control the position of the throttle, and the position of the joystick axis is ignored.However, if I now disconnect the auto-throttle, the throttle position will suddenly "jump" to wherever the joystick position happens to be at that moment.What I would like to be able to do is prevent that jump by positioning the joystick axis such it matches the "actual" throttle position, prior to disconnecting the autothrottle!Is such a gauge even possible?Thanks!

- William Ruppel, CYTZ, VATSIM 816871

I'm wondering if anyone has written a gauge that shows the position of a particular joystick axis, versus the "actual" position of the axis as far as FS is concerned.Let me give an example:In planes that have an auto-throttle, the plane will control the position of the throttle, and the position of the joystick axis is ignored.However, if I now disconnect the auto-throttle, the throttle position will suddenly "jump" to wherever the joystick position happens to be at that moment.What I would like to be able to do is prevent that jump by positioning the joystick axis such it matches the "actual" throttle position, prior to disconnecting the autothrottle!Is such a gauge even possible?Thanks!
There is a gauge called Whazzup here in the library. Here's the description:File Description:FS2004 Gauge: WhazzUp. Or, what's down. It may be your trim, your airspeed, fuel, flaps, landing gear, spoilers, throttle, ailerons, elevators, or rudder. Okay, sideways on the rudder. WhazzUp tracks the position of all these elements and shows the results in multiple displays on the gauge. It also warns of overspeed, stall, and low fuel. Diode indicators show neutral trim conditions for the ailerons, elevators, and rudder. The trim on each of these can quickly be set to zero with a single press on the associated diode. For panel or separate window install. With Icon gauge. WhazzUWaitN4? By Glenn Copeland.It gives the actual throttle position. It does work in FSX and FS9. I don't know if this will help you. Regards, Bob.

hmmm.. I've read you post 3 times, especially the part "" ...by positioning the joystick axis such it matches the "actual" throttle position, prior to disconnecting the autothrottle! .."I guess you mean: ""... by positioning the joystick throttle lever/wheel such that it matches the actual throttle axis position, prior to disconnecting the autothrottle""Right ?If so:No, not possible. That is: not in a 'simple' gauge.Normal gauges just read the FS variable for Throttle Axis, which in your example is the last set value by the A/T the moment you disconnect it; NOT the actual setting of the joystick lever/wheel.The reason you see the "jump" of the lever in your throttle (quadrant) gauge, is that FS detects a change in the value of your joystick throttle wheel/lever. Either because you move it, or the electrical output of the joystick lever/wheel "jitters".You have the same effect in the following case:- Set your joystick lever/wheel in a position where possible "jitter" has no effect: e.g. (if you calibrated your joystick right, with sufficient null zone) in the Idle position.- Press F4 (full throttle). The lever in your Throttle Axis gauge will now indicated "Full Throttle"- Slightly move the joystick throttle wheel/lever. The lever in your throttle lever gauge will jump to the actual position of your joystick throttle wheel/lever.What you're after is a gauge, that shows both the current value of the Throttle Axis as FS knows it, AND the current value of your joystick throttle lever/wheel assigned to that axis.For the latter, you need a gauge/module that reads (via DirectX) the actual value of the joystick wheel/lever.Can most likely be created (FSUIPC does it this way), but it's not simple.And I'm pretty sure that a gauge that displays both the FS throttle axis position AND the actual joystick throttle lever/wheel position has never been made.Including the Whazzup gauge mentioned by Bob; this merely displays the FS variable values.Hope this explains it a bit.Rob PS:For completeness sake: what you are really after, is a way to synchronise your physical throttle lever/wheel with the FS Throttle axis value.And even THAT is possible to make.A friend of mine created a servo-driven throttle quadrant for his home-built cockpit setup, where the physical levers actually move when the FS A/T changes the value of the FS Throttle axis variables. Just like the real thing.But that another leage of HW/SW for the MSFS flightsimulator :(

A friend of mine created a servo-driven throttle quadrant for his home-built cockpit setup, where the physical levers actually move when the FS A/T changes the value of the FS Throttle axis variables. Just like the real thing.
Mmmmmmm yes please!!!! :(

Mmmmmmm yes please!!!! :(
That's exactly what I told him ... :( I know I'm a flightsim adict as well, but the amount of time&money this guy is willing to spend on "only" a simulated cockpit environment, exceeds my possibilities by far :( Just another angle to our "hobby" ......Cheers, Rob

Hi,Same here.Spend the last 8 years 100 euris for computer service and new windows xp install.Have enough pleasure with mspaint and notepad and, oh yeah, fs9.767 still not finished.......Jan