Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

To Realair Simulations

e7OtN.jpg

A2A Civil P-51 cruising at FL240 at 240kts IAS.  With a ground speed of around 360kts and about a 20kt tail wind, a ball park TAS should be around 340kts.

very helpful.

I kinda knew this or had a general idea but didnt think thru the altitude factor (i e density )

I shall never again set FSX to KIAS default instead of TAS. I had become complacent.

Just finished a run to DAG fro KHND in B33 (turbo=1) took screen shot.

Will duplicate conditions in various A/C for comp and post..

Damn guys, imma better pilot already from knowing ya....

-Mike

2 Monitors, 240G SSD.FSX:Steam with UTX USA Scenery, ORBX Base, Buildings, Airports, NorCAL, Steam addon- Airports, Trees, Milviz310R, Alabeo310R, Flight1 GTN750/650, Carenado- TBM850, Baron, Arrow, V35, F33, C441, 421C, Phenom 100, Premier 1A, RA Duke B60 V2, RA Duke Turbine V2,  Active Sky Next always running real WX. Skyvector 

Wait wait wait! You want to set it to KIAS. In the ATC environment everything is based on IAS (or mach number for jets). You want your gauges to read IAS (because the labels read IAS whether its knots or mph). If you have a GPS or even DME (and you're travelling directly to the station) you can have a readout of ground speed. (again GS is TAS corrected for wind component).

If you really must know your TAS you can go the easy way and put the numbers into a converter like this one:
http://www.csgnetwork.com/tasinfocalc.html

Also, many power settings are done with KIAS... if you change them to TAS you'll have to recalculate on the go back to IAS...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Mike,

From a flying perspective, IAS is still the number we "fly to", since that's an indication of, for lack of a better way of putting it, what things feel like to the airplane. And ground speed - how quickly we're actually getting to where we want to go - is the next thing we're interested in. TAS is kind of a "that's nice to know, but..." number.

Scott

Edit: I see Ryan beat me to it.

Second edit: and just so I'm clear - that's from a flying perspective.  From a planning perspective, I want to be able to calculate what my TAS will be at a given altitude, temperature and power settings and then factor in winds aloft so that I can plan for time and fuel.

Just another RealAir supporter here.  Forget the rest - you can't do better than RealAir for GA aircraft.  I'm stuck on the Duke Turbine probably until...

Regards

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

ten four.. I will go back to default KIAS and lean on the GPS to calculate GS ( cause THAT's where it counts when comparing time from A to B with best economy. right?)

imma come out the other side with a more clear understanding and thats my goal is realistic flight and situational planning and awareness as well as the fun factor...

I grew up in Dad's Cessna 310 in the pic (albeit in the right seat) So when I got into Simming I duped the old days disregarding GPS. Rather using VOR NDB ..

I've only begun to embrace GPS as I purposely did NOT want to use it as a crutch..

Keep it coming, thanks for the education

-Mike

2 Monitors, 240G SSD.FSX:Steam with UTX USA Scenery, ORBX Base, Buildings, Airports, NorCAL, Steam addon- Airports, Trees, Milviz310R, Alabeo310R, Flight1 GTN750/650, Carenado- TBM850, Baron, Arrow, V35, F33, C441, 421C, Phenom 100, Premier 1A, RA Duke B60 V2, RA Duke Turbine V2,  Active Sky Next always running real WX. Skyvector 

As for reliability, keep in mind that the Dukes that spent a lot of time in the shops were the original piston Dukes, in large part due to the geared engines which had a very low TBO to start with and rarely made even that. 

I think if you read what Duke owners say... there isn't much difference between a Duke's cost and other similar pressurized twins.  It's not a Baron... an airframe more like a King Air... pressurized, air conditioned... plus not many made... etc.

Btw... the initial Duke engines I believe had a TBO of 1200hrs... the newer type was the -E1C4 w/ a TBO of 1600hrs and apparently will make TBO if flown correctly (see e.g. the Duke Flyers Association).

Also btw... the Duke's TIO-541s are not geared (would be a TIGO-541-something).

Btw... the initial Duke engines I believe had a TBO of 1200hrs... the newer type was the -E1C4 w/ a TBO of 1600hrs and apparently will make TBO if flown correctly (see e.g. the Duke Flyers Association).

Also btw... the Duke's TIO-541s are not geared (would be a TIGO-541-something).

Yeah, fair comments and I don't know why I have it fixed in my head that they're geared, but I think the early problems with the engine (and not typically making TBO) are pretty well documented.  May be better after some of the later improvements, but the engines have definitely been a big part of the maintenance picture.

Still, your comments are fair.  As the former owner/pilot of an airplane that "everyone knows" has a bad engine, I should be more sensitive to the hangar talk vs the reality when the aircraft is properly understood and appropriately flown.  Guilty as charged.

But I'd still want the turbine conversion and its reliability.  :-)

Scott

This T Duke is pretty to look at. but I've yet to finish a flight..

Tried a run from KSAN - KSFO last nite and today

i'm closely monitoring speed and gauges..

1st a set her on a nice steady climb out to 12K The AP acts wildly. I try to set the intended Alt & click up as far as 8K theh the thing goes off to the races and the numbers keep climbing to 30K by themselves. I have to shut down the AP all together regain control manually ,retrim  check instruments etc etc .. well a couple of repeats of this I make it to 8500 level off reassess KIAS on plane 187 Knots  166 TAS ride throttles & conditioners & props back nice and easy all  gauges nowhere near red, oil ok then the plane starts flailing about  pitching yawing like a wild bull..only way I could recover is kill engines and ditch it gear up in the drink off Long Beach...

Maybe I have a conflict with my REALITY XP Gauges? Maybe I need to read more about the Bendix AP. I definitely nead to read the DUKE manual again.

Not thrown in the towel yet but it's getting frustrating.

FYI I have approx 900 hrs on sim and easy 500 hours in multi eng piston ac i.e. king air, 310 and Baron

stay tuned

reassess KIAS on plane 187 Knots 166 TAS ride throttles & conditioners & props back nice and easy all gauges nowhere near red, oil ok then the plane starts flailing about pitching yawing like a wild bull..only way I could recover is kill engines and ditch it gear up in the drink off Long Beach...

Mike, I'm not sure what to tell you, but this is not what most of us are seeing.  Keep in mind as you work through this that there's a reason many consider this one of the best GA sim planes there is. 

Some of what you're saying here confuses me.  How can you have "187 Knots 166 TAS"?  As previously mentioned, once you're in the air, IAS is what matters for determining flying characteristics.  As for the condition levers, once you're in the air, leave them alone.  They're NOT mixture controls like you think of from a piston plane.  From the Flying Guide:

The condition levers are only really relevant in ground handling. Normal ground position should be low idle, with higher idle being used to increase taxi speed. A lightly loaded Duke will sustain taxi speed of its own accord once 12-15 knots, but you can contain this by selecting very low idle. You can also contain any acceleration by “dabbing” the wheel brakes or by use of reverse beta position on the throttle levers. Up to -9% in beta range will gently slow you down. In normal flight the condition levers can be left at low, mid or high idle.

[Emphasis mine.]

I would recommend that you not engage the AP too early.  Make sure you have a stable climb configuration set up before you engage so that you're not asking too much from the AP.

As for the RXP gauges, I'd venture to say that the majority of Duke sim pilots use them.  I don't think that's where your problems lie.

Good luck,

Scott

thnx Scott,

as stated, not giving up for all your reasons..too many credible folks love it.

So from now on i'll set those evil "conditioner levers in low and forget about em..

Normally I fly the a/c up to Alt. I tried to let AP handle trim for me so I could get ahead of the rest of the plane.

I may have miss typed the red speed readout. But ultimately the guage in the plane NEVER read above 192 airspeed. After learning the plane craps itself upon exceeding 200 so i been watching that close..

Still dont know why the Bendix alt and vs is so HARD to accurately set. ? Maybe I must use the mouse wheel for raising /lowering. 

Thanks for the help..

I'd recommend watching some user you Tube videos on the turbine duke

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=realair+turbine+duke

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

success!

Kord - KNBA FL200

read manuals

changes=

offloaded all REALITYXP guages

reconfigured DUKE

reconfigured FSX per Duke directions- Realism Crash slider all the way off

set conditioners on low and forget.

turned pitot heat on L R 

Set Pressurization

pulled the two red Pressurization handles out.

successful transition from manual flying to AP hdg ALT set VS set to GPS direct to Nashville

diverted to KOWB VFR manual approach. wheels down on the numbers...

dunno which change fixed it .. maybe none of the above..maybe before I was attacked by tewrrorists  

thnx for all your help

Vmo (max operating speed) is actually 198 KIAS on this acft,  You should never exceed it.

And you can overspeed that very easily if you don´t pay close attention in climbeout.

Just  to get my hours up again on the duke which I havnt  flown for  ages  I noticed   when I climbed   above 7000  my ias guage went  to zero  and  when I  descended  back down below  7000  it  came back on again. Probe heat  was on  but  looks like  I  forgotten some  thing.  Everything  else  was set  to on that I could  think off  but  still didn't  work.

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg