Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

To Realair Simulations

I am still debating whether to purchase the Turbine Duke. I tend to fly my planes very low and slow, with a fixed trim setting, and flaps down. Don't ask me why. I just like to keep things simple, and the low speeds allow me to enjoy the highly detailed scenery (Horizon GenX2 UK photo scenery, Treescapes UK custom autogen, and UK2000 VFR Airfields + Xtreme airports) at leisure. I am just not sure if the relatively slow spool up times (and apparently excessive power to weight ratio) of the PT6 engines would sit comfortably with my style of flying....
Christopher - the new Turbine Duke is one of those complex aircraft that does require a bit more "thinking ahead" time but stick to the numbers and it's easy to fly. I spent a while yesterday flying VFR from Denham to Exeter and the Duke happily "bimbled around" at 120-130kts or less with a stage of flap out. It was a fine platform to admire my Gen X UK scenery. After 30mins I got bored and decided to play above the clouds. It took me under 2 mins (!) to reach FL080 and the views were great - especially in spot view.Think ahead and be gentle with the PT6's and you shouldn't have any problems. Firewall the throttles however and you'll be laughing :(

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Christopher - the new Turbine Duke is one of those complex aircraft that does require a bit more "thinking ahead" time but stick to the numbers and it's easy to fly. I spent a while yesterday flying VFR from Denham to Exeter and the Duke happily "bimbled around" at 120-130kts or less with a stage of flap out. It was a fine platform to admire my Gen X UK scenery. After 30mins I got bored and decided to play above the clouds. It took me under 2 mins (!) to reach FL080 and the views were great - especially in spot view.Think ahead and be gentle with the PT6's and you shouldn't have any problems. Firewall the throttles however and you'll be laughing :(
And the Turbine, though fast, actually has a lower stall speed than the piston version, if as you say, you want to "bimble around" ;)Rob - RealAir

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Bimbling around is what I like best, so I will probably purchase the Turbine Duke in the next couple of days.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Bought it! Love it!BTW, where can one find any additional liveries? I can't find anything on their website.
AFAIK there aren´t any additional liveries cause the paint kit hasn´t been released yet. But I know that they´re working on that.

Love the present liveries, just want to make a few of them into US registration numbers although from the cockpit it doesn't make any difference what you set FSX to think the reg number is.Had a wonderful flight last night from Roseburg (KRBG) to Hillsboro (KHIO). Climbed to 26,000 feet in less than 10 minutes, had to adjust the pressurization rate control for a 1,200 fpm climb rate to keep up with our actual climb rate. Was seeing 297 knots groundspeed on 45 gph! Had to make a pretty steep descent to be at the proper place to intercept the LPV approach in to runway 30. What a great way to spend a little less than an hour in a fun plane on a fun flight.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Nice to see a post that appreciates the creations of the hard working developers. I´m sure they´re walking a bit taller today. So getting used to posts about problems. Hope to see more positive posts like this one. Good one!Bjorn

I'm a very picky simmer when it comes to sound sets, and I normally tweak a few sound files to my liking. Not with this baby, as this thing purrs and responds to the throttles and props with perfect precision. After three flights I have no desire to edit any of the included sounds, they're absolutely fabulous! I guess the only improvement would be adding sounds to the various switches, otherwise a perfect sound set. :(

Hi Curt,If you can overcome FSX limitations on switch sounds please be my guest. But we are investigating this for possible releases in the future.Rob - RealAir

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Jim,Your beloved ASE is also a master piece on it's on category!
Thanks much!!

I purchased the Turbine Duke last night, installed it, set it up at my usual test airfield (RAF Colerne), applied full power.....and briefly thought that I had joined the STS-133 Discovery shuttle mission to the International Space Station! :( I had trouble keeping the thing still on the ground (even with the parking brakes applied) until I hauled the condition lever back to LOW IDLE. That converted the engines from ferocious, uncontrollable beasts to softly humming babies :( I took it for a "low and slow" test flight towards RAF Lyneham, and I was pleased to discover that it is wonderfully stable at lower power levels.....perfect for my line of work.I like the glass reflections on the dials, the nice, clean look of the black instrument panel (I will be flying the G-RTDK model), and the distinctive whine of those turboprop engines. I think I could just sit at the threshold and listen to those engines purring all day! These engines sound quieter than the piston Duke to me. Is that supposed to be the case?The plane seemed to move over to the right side of the runway during the take off roll, but it was perfectly stable in flight. I think it might be a realism slider issue, but I am not sure. I will need to check that out tonight. I had the p-scale and torque sliders all the way to the right. Would that make a difference?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

The plane seemed to move over to the right side of the runway during the take off roll, but it was perfectly stable in flight. I think it might be a realism slider issue, but I am not sure. I will need to check that out tonight. I had the p-scale and torque sliders all the way to the right. Would that make a difference?
Be sure to read the manual I believe there's a few references to realism sliders...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

snip snip..I think I could just sit at the threshold and listen to those engines purring all day! These engines sound quieter than the piston Duke to me. Is that supposed to be the case?
yes absolutely in RL they are way quieter then the piston engines.look here also at royalturbine site.Royal turbine comparisonAnother interesting read can be found here. short snippit at wing magazineDuke demo flightDEMO FLIGHTIn October, I visited Rocket Engineering’s facility and had a demo flight in the Royal Turbine. The company is an FAA-approved parts manufacturer and makes components for its conversions such as cowlings, nacelle tanks, engine mounts and connectors.The aircraft’s cabin has a surprising amount of headroom, as Tim Moore, a company sales rep. showed me before the demo flight (Tim is 1.92 metres tall). To enter the cockpit, I had to squeeze between the seats, but once in place, there was adequate space between Conrad and myself. He mentioned various features of the Royal Turbine, including the semi-transparent knob on each propeller lever that illuminates in the event that torque, propeller rpm, and ITT decrease significantly. The pilot retards the lever with the illuminated blue knob to feather the failed engine’s propeller.Starting the PT-6A-35s was straightforward. After confirming that switches were in their correct positions and circuit breakers were in, Conrad turned on the battery, confirmed adequate voltage, activated the fuel pump and auto ignition, checked the annunciator panel, and engaged the left engine’s starter. Once N1 reached 15%, fuel was introduced and the ITT rose to 630°F, well below the maximum of 850°F. The ITT peak during the right engine start was similar. N626N’s avionics included an altitude pre-select, which Conrad recommends because of the high climb and descent rates possible in the Royal Turbine. Like the JetProp and Turbine Air, most converted B60s will probably be flown single-pilot.Manoeuvring the Royal Turbine on the ground is not difficult due to the B60’s nosewheel steering and differential power when required. Braking to control taxi speed is needed infrequently thanks to the propellers’ beta range. After completing the aircraft checks and receiving clearance to take off, Conrad taxied N626N onto the runway, momentarily stopped the aircraft, then advanced the throttles. Once torque had increased to takeoff power, which took only a few seconds, N626N accelerated quickly enough that I was pressed firmly into the back of my seat. Within ten seconds and 1,000 feet from our starting position, we were airborne. The aircraft had 90 gallons of fuel onboard and weighed approximately 5,450 pounds.Once the gear was retracted, Conrad raised the nose to 20° and climbed at 120 KIAS, pegging the VSI at 4,000 fpm. Climb rates in a lightlyloaded Royal Turbine have been as high as 5,800 fpm! Through 8,000 feet and at 140 kt, the VSI was 3,700 fpm. Through 14,000 feet, Conrad lowered the nose somewhat and the aircraft accelerated to 175 KIAS, while climbing at 2,000 fpm. After leveling off at 17,500 feet to remain in uncontrolled airspace, the Royal Turbine accelerated to 272 KTAS, burning 86 gph at normal cruise power.After a few minutes, he demonstrated how the Royal Turbine handles with one propeller feathered. The aircraft will not be difficult for pilots to control in the unlikely event of an engine failure thanks to Beechcraft’s stable design and Rocket Engineering’s engine alignment work. At FL230, the Royal Turbine will cruise at 240 KTAS on one engine.Heading west toward Felts Field, Conrad put N626N in a steep descent, which was not a problem for us thanks to the B60’s pressurization system. Leveling off, he slowed the aircraft, joined the circuit, and extended the landing gear. On final approach, Conrad reduced the airspeed to 120 kt and extended flaps to full, decreasing to 90 kt over the threshold. After touching down, he applied reverse thrust, then normal braking. Our weight was about 5,200 pounds and N626N used about 900 feet to land.

I don't want to sound like a groupie, but I too have to gush and dribble on about the Royal Duke. It's simply the best.Kind regards,