Just spent most of the night testing this on my desktop and laptop systems.  I wish someone had shown me this comparison before letting me choose AMD for my last build!  (Note that the results of the desktop test was also at slightly lower resolution -- due to my monitor -- than the laptop.)

Desktop:

DesktopReport.jpg

Laptop:

LaptopReport.jpg

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

On page 46 in this tread, did a test with FX8350 to show the poor performance of AMD compared to Intel.

I'm thinking it's about time we had a P3D version of FSXMark?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

On page 46 in this tread, did a test with FX8350 to show the poor performance of AMD compared to Intel.

True…but you published your test about three months after I built that machine.

At least it clarifies that swapping out a faster CPU won't do much good, and that I'd be better off dropping in an Intel MB and processor, since everything else I put in that build (a pretty heavy investment in peripherals and cards) should work fine with it. Now I'm just trying to decide the pros and cons of waiting for Skylake versus going ahead with a 4790K now.

James David Walley

Hello everyone ! I just came  back to FSX after a long time and  the obviously conclusion is  I need to upgrade. Right now I have a xeon E5450 running at 3.6 Ghz. Average score in fsxmark is 21.5. Not a good playing experience with addons.

First, considering money is problem, will be i5 4690k enough, or I should make the effort for i7 4790K ? I am truing to figure, on same system, what is the gaining in FPS if using i7.

Memory should be anyway at 2400 speed. I have a GTX 650, planning to upgrade for GTX 960.

Any advise is welcome !

Just spent most of the night testing this on my desktop and laptop systems. I wish someone had shown me this comparison before letting me choose AMD for my last build

It's almost as if no one has mentioned before that AMD CPU's are not as good as Intel for FSX/P3D.

It has been that way for as long as I can remember.

A quick search here at Avsim would saved you from buying anything AMD

It's almost as if no one has mentioned before that AMD CPU's are not as good as Intel for FSX/P3D.

It has been that way for as long as I can remember.

A quick search here at Avsim would saved you from buying anything AMD

As I pointed out, my build was before the AMD results came out.

Besides, the build itself was sort of weird. It was supposed to be Intel i7 (Ivy Bridge-E, I believe) and LGA2011-based, however, when I put it together that way, it wouldn't boot up. When it turned out that the vendor was giving me a hard time about the return of the CPU and M/B, and it became obvious it was going to take some time to work out the situation (during which time I would be without a desktop machine I needed for my business), I decided to create a cheap stopgap by getting the least-expensive decent chip/board combination I could get on short notice, which turned out to be the FX-6300 and MSI G-43. My original intention was to merely use the AMD/MSI combo for a few weeks or months until I could get the return issues worked out, at which point I'd rebuild with my preferred parts; as things turned out, of course, once I got everything installed, rebuilding began to seem more of a hassle than it was worth, and the weeks/months turned into years…at least until I started getting back into FSX and found ORBX PNW was dropping my frame rate into the high single-digits, and runnng FSXMark revealed that my desktop was getting a lower score than my several-year-old Intel-based laptop…

James David Walley

Results from Skylake 6700K at 4.5Ghz. Bit reluctant to push it further at the moment. The test was carried out on FSX SE.

Hardware Configuration:
CPU: Intel 6700K@4.5Ghz
RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 3000
GPU: Msi GTX980ti
HDD: Crucial 1TB SSD

FSXMark11 Results:
Test Frames Time (ms)     Min Max Avg
   2   16356     300000      38.0 75.0 54.5
   3   16208     300000      39.0 74.0 54.0
   4   16258     300000      40.0 73.0 54.0
AVG 16274     300000      39.0 74.0 54.2

These results dont seem to reflect the leap in my P3d 2.5 performance which is probably in the order of 40%. Maybe due to my graphics card change although the 780 ti was pretty strong but maybe not so good at 4K as the 980ti.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

Hardware Configuration:

Which motherboard are you using?

James David Walley

Results from Skylake 6700K at 4.5Ghz. Bit reluctant to push it further at the moment. The test was carried out on FSX SE.

Hardware Configuration:

FSXMark11 Results:
Test Frames Time (ms)     Min Max Avg
   2   16356     300000      38.0 75.0 54.5
   3   16208     300000      39.0 74.0 54.0
   4   16258     300000      40.0 73.0 54.0
AVG 16274     300000      39.0 74.0 54.2

These results dont seem to reflect the leap in my P3d 2.5 performance which is probably in the order of 40%. Maybe due to my graphics card change although the 780 ti was pretty strong but maybe not so good at 4K as the 980ti.

Really interesting results.  How do I run FSXMark11 on my current system so I can compare ?

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Pretty sure its all covered in the first post in this thread (which I cant get to at the moment). Make sure you set WideAspect=True otherwise results are misleading.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

Bases on the FSmark results, Skylake seems to help with the minimum fps; which is the cpu-bound items.   Not sure how using prepar3d as the benchmark sim may skew results slightly?  Thanks for testing!

Simon

I used FSX SE for the test, The P3d comment was just an observation.

ok.  I have noticed minimums fps increases coming from my sb at 4800 to skylake at 4700 as well.  Up from a min scenario of 24fps to 35 or so on prepar3d.

Simon