Sign in to follow this  
markturner

How to generate a new exe.xml file

Whilst farting around with my new install of FSX, I have deleted my xml file. I cant get FSX to write a new one, can anyone tell me how to do this please? thanks, Mark

Whilst farting around with my new install of FSX, I have deleted my xml file. I cant get FSX to write a new one, can anyone tell me how to do this please? thanks, Mark
Did you empty your trashcan yet, if not it should still be there/

Jay

Do you have a System Restore point? If not did you try a Repair from the FSX disk?

Jay

Open Notepad, copy and paste. Adjust as needed thereafter for what you want started, mine calls some FSDT scenery and AICarriers;

<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
    <Descr>Launch</Descr>
    <Filename>EXE.XML</Filename>
    <Disabled>False</Disabled>
   <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
  <Launch.Addon> 
    <Name>Couatl</Name>
    <Disabled>False</Disabled>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Path>fsdreamteam\couatl\couatl.exe</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon> 
    <Disabled>True</Disabled>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Name>AICarriers</Name>
    <Path>F:\Scenmod\AI tools\AICarriers\aicarriers.exe</Path>
    <CommandLine>-nogui</CommandLine>
  </Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

Depending upon your system setup, relative path references might be a good thing, such as how the AICarriers entry is listed.

Try and use a program called Notepad++ (google) when re-writing xml - its better than ordinary notepad or wordpad. 2p worth :( :(

Hello Mark,Generally, when a file is missing, a Repair is the best place to start.Best regards.Luis

I did a repair < but it did not seem to write a new file and now I get a fatal error on startup referencing simprop.dll. Out of the frying pan and into the fire methinks........

I did a repair < but it did not seem to write a new file and now I get a fatal error on startup referencing simprop.dll. Out of the frying pan and into the fire methinks........
Hi Mark,You probably know this- but when doing a repair in FSX you need to un-install both SP1 and SP2 (assuming you have both installed). The original FSX disks no nothinhg about the SP's, and do may try to write files that basically mix all versions together. If the repair would run at all, I'm not sure.The file you are looking for (exe.xml)is very simple in it's default form, and basically just a small text file with the extension .xml. I always copy mine ot a backup location as I have found in the past that some add-ons can alter the formatting. Have you considered re-installing FSX from scratch?Thanks, Bruce.

Here's a completely clean exe.xml with just the header - any Launch Addon entries go above the ending SimBase.Document tag:http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28441/exe.xml (right click + save as)You're not going to be able to regenerate one that actually accounts for the addons that had placed entries into it though. Unless you can find out what those entries were and paste them in (I second the use of Notepad++ for this), you'll have to actually run the installers that placed entries there in the first place so that they can be readded.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Just "out of the blue" ... What is the "exe.xml" file? Where is it located? I donot have one.. Just by looking at one of the posts it looks like an "autostart" script that starts external programs once FSX is loaded? Roman

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Just "out of the blue" ... What is the "exe.xml" file? Where is it located? I donot have one.. Just by looking at one of the posts it looks like an "autostart" script that starts external programs once FSX is loaded? Roman
It's in the same location as the fsx.cfg. I can't recall the actual path in Win 7 as the PC I'm at right now is running XP, and does not have FSX installed. Bruce.

Holy Moly.......I just spent the last 4 free evenings re installing FSX, just done all my aircraft, scenery, tile proxy the lot..... Not looking forward to doing it all again...which looks like the option, as I did not know about uninstalling SP1 & 2i might actually get some flying done eventually...

I cannot find my exe.xml file? It isn't there where thr FSX.cfg is under win7; I don't know if it accidentaly got deleted by an addon I might have installed? Or myself.I'm desperatly trying to install an addon " Banking camera that needs it for a maual installtion,since I have failed to install it properly using the .exe that accompanies the software.Unfortunately,for me I haven't the faintest when I messed up with this addon? I'd hate a reinstall or a repair. Isn't there smewhere on can get a new file?

One will find Microsoft's XML NotePad here:-http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=7973

Isn't there smewhere on can get a new file?
No - this is a configuration file, and will reflect what .exe's are loaded into your FSX - no-one else's. As Tabs has offered - install his template into the Usersyour usernameApplication DataMicrosoft, and then uninstall/reinstall any addon that involves an .exe file, such as EZCZ.exe.Here are two of my addons included:-<Launch.Addon> <Name>EZdok camera addon</Name> <Disabled>false</Disabled> <Path>C:Program Files (x86)EZCAEZCA.exe</Path> </Launch.Addon> <Launch.Addon> <Disabled>False</Disabled> <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad> <Name>Autothumbnail</Name> <Path>F:Flight Simulator XAutothumbnailAutothumbnail.exe</Path> </Launch.Addon>OK?

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.