Sign in to follow this  
Sim pilot

Airline gate codes

Hello everyone at AVSIM. I don't know if anyone is having the same issues with Airline gate codes. I looked up to 10 pages of forums before writting this one, I did not see one. In my Aircraft CFG under Airlines ie.. United my gate code reads UAL, see below my CFG, but when I land say LAX no matter what my runway is they always puts me in the farthest gate near runway 6R by myself. I find it intriguing. I put all my airlines CFG to read the right gate codes to match their airlines. Any solutions would greatly be appreciated.

Hello everyone at AVSIM. I don't know if anyone is having the same issues with Airline gate codes. I looked up to 10 pages of forums before writting this one, I did not see one. In my Aircraft CFG under Airlines ie.. United my gate code reads UAL, see below my CFG, but when I land say LAX no matter what my runway is they always puts me in the farthest gate near runway 6R by myself. I find it intriguing. I put all my airlines CFG to read the right gate codes to match their airlines. Any solutions would greatly be appreciated.
That entry won't control the aircraft you fly aka user aircraft. Do a search on VIP parking to see how to get a spot reserved for you.scott s..

yep, as Scott said, those codes only work for AI. If you want a better ATC experience use a program like PFE, where you can specify an arrival gate.

Peter Schluter

yep, as Scott said, those codes only work for AI. If you want a better ATC experience use a program like PFE, where you can specify an arrival gate.
That's not true! If there are empty UAL gates with the correct size, ATC should assign one. I wouldn't use multiple gate types though. For Airliners I would only use "GATE".Edit: In the above example, there is a typo, which is causing his problem.It should be"atc_parking_codes=UAL" not "atc_parking_code=UAL"

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

That's not true! If there are empty UAL gates with the correct size, ATC should assign one.
The emphasis is on correct size. The code really doesn't matter. The sim looks at the parking spot list as presented in various Afcad editors. It goes from top to bottom. It assigns you to the first free one it comes across, that is at least the same size as your aircraft's radius. It is this logic that allows for manipulation through tutorials like VIP Parking.Basically, you put the spot you want to go to at the top of the aforementioned list, give it fakes codes (XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX, for example) so AI won't occupy it. And you make sure it has the same size as your user aircraft. If the Afcad has enough spots, your preferred parking spot will always be free and FS will always direct you to it. You can either set up permanent spots this way or simply tweak one spot before you fly as needed and change it back after the flight. Works like a charm.This is just about the most often brought up problem, I hope they will fix this in Flight, so that the ATC/AI engine uses the same rules for AI and user. So with working codes.

Mike...

The emphasis is on correct size. The code really doesn't matter. The sim looks at the parking spot list as presented in various Afcad editors. It goes from top to bottom. It assigns you to the first free one it comes across, that is at least the same size as your aircraft's radius. It is this logic that allows for manipulation through tutorials like VIP Parking.Basically, you put the spot you want to go to at the top of the aforementioned list, give it fakes codes (XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX, for example) so AI won't occupy it. And you make sure it has the same size as your user aircraft. If the Afcad has enough spots, your preferred parking spot will always be free and FS will always direct you to it. You can either set up permanent spots this way or simply tweak one spot before you fly as needed and change it back after the flight. Works like a charm.This is just about the most often brought up problem, I hope they will fix this in Flight, so that the ATC/AI engine uses the same rules for AI and user. So with working codes.
There is nothing really to fix! You can't stick 10 pounds in a 5 pound sag! If AI takes up all the gates, ATC has no choice but to assign a random one. Conversely if AI + your aircraft uses all the gates, an additional AI aircraft must use a random gate. There is no difference on how AI or user is handled in this regard. This is why most 3rd party AFCAD's have extra gates. In most cases when you use a AI package with real world flights , this is likely to be enough (At least I don't have an issue with it in either FS2004 or FSX, I do use FSX more.) The problem happens when you use traffic programs like MyTraffic and Traffic at high percentages that have more traffic then is realistic, where this is more likely to occur!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

You don't know what you're talking about.:wink:Edit: I did some quick searches and found some threads you should read:http://forum.avsim.net/topic/62468-user-aircraft-parking-codes/http://forum.avsim.net/topic/254761-question-on-aircraft-file/http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19528http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9712Then read the thread we're in again and hopefully you'll see what we're talking about (and what not...) and that there is indeed a problem to fix in Flight. And I for one hope they finally do. So we won't have these kinds of threads anymore.:(

Mike...

You don't know what you're talking about.:wink:Edit: I did some quick searches and found some threads you should read:http://forum.avsim.net/topic/62468-user-aircraft-parking-codes/http://forum.avsim.net/topic/254761-question-on-aircraft-file/http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19528http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9712Then read the thread we're in again and hopefully you'll see what we're talking about (and what not...) and that there is indeed a problem to fix in Flight. And I for one hope they finally do. So we won't have these kinds of threads anymore.:(
I'm talking from my own experience, I use UT2, and WOAI before that at 100%, and I never have an issue getting an appropriate gate, provided, my parameters, for both aircraft and AFCAD gates are setup properly, which mine are. If it doesn't work for you, I would check that you don't have the same type of typo like the OP has. It is easy to miss, I've done it myself from time to time. but in general, in my experience ATC will assign a matching gate if one is available. Like I say with WOAI, or UT2, they usually are.Edit: "All the detail stuff about atc_parking_type= and atc_parking_code= in the aircraft.cfg only apply to AI traffic"This is from Reggie fields post from the above FSdeveloper link. Looks like he may be making the same typo errors!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

Thanks Flight Simmers for your writings. I fixed the typos was "atc_parking_code=UAL to read as follows "atc_parking_codes=UAL" per one suggestion below. Also I forgot in my forum that I fly using FS9 in case I am still having problems and I posting in the forum again. I have read the other forums suggested. The next time I fly one of my airliners (AA, United) mainly I will see where it puts me after I land and after fixing the typos. Also I wrote in the forum regarding installing AI airliners, I am still having problems with Southwest, Delta, Continental, there might be more not sure as I have installed several AI (20). As far as I can tell they all were installed ok using WoAI installer and followed posted suggestions. They never appear at my major airports (LAX etc..) or small airports (i.e. SNA or same size). Again thanks.

Like I say with WOAI, or UT2, they usually are.
This thread is about user aircraft, not AI... Look at the capture in the opening post, Project Opensky, that's a user aircraft, not AI. We're not talking about AI! (The only time AI is relevant is if you haven't got enough parking spots.)You can attach a code to user aircraft all you want, but the ATC engine will not look at it. It may assign you an appropriate gate and it may look as though it checked the code, but its decision has been based on radius and not on the code used.We would not be having these discussions if it worked as it should, we wouldn't have the VIP parking guide if it worked as it should...
This is from Reggie fields post from the above FSdeveloper link. Looks like he may be making the same typo errors!
Typos aside, that's Reggie Fields... VIP Parking guide, "The technique is based upon investigations and information developed by Jim Vile and Reggie Fields.".I rest my case.Sim pilot, the problem you're having with AI is an entirely different one. If AI does not appear at an airport, there can be a lot of causes. From insufficient parking spots, incorrectly sized ones, to a mismatch between titles in the bgl and in your aircraft.cfg files. Etc... Have you turned on AI in the sim, slider to 100%? Have you tried installing a third party Afcad for the airports in question? Have you error checked with programs like ACA2005? You may also want to try the WOAI support forums. I think you'll get slightly better help at a dedicated AI forum.:(

Mike...

This thread is about user aircraft, not AI... Look at the capture in the opening post, Project Opensky, that's a user aircraft, not AI. We're not talking about AI! (The only time AI is relevant is if you haven't got enough parking spots.)You can attach a code to user aircraft all you want, but the ATC engine will not look at it. It may assign you an appropriate gate and it may look as though it checked the code, but its decision has been based on radius and not on the code used.We would not be having these discussions if it worked as it should, we wouldn't have the VIP parking guide if it worked as it should...Typos aside, that's Reggie Fields... VIP Parking guide, "The technique is based upon investigations and information developed by Jim Vile and Reggie Fields.".I rest my case.Sim pilot, the problem you're having with AI is an entirely different one. If AI does not appear at an airport, there can be a lot of causes. From insufficient parking spots, incorrectly sized ones, to a mismatch between titles in the bgl and in your aircraft.cfg files. Etc... Have you turned on AI in the sim, slider to 100%? Have you tried installing a third party Afcad for the airports in question? Have you error checked with programs like ACA2005? You may also want to try the WOAI support forums. I think you'll get slightly better help at a dedicated AI forum.:(
As I said I always run airline AI at 100%, and yes I know we're talking about ATC behavior with User aircraft, and of course I use 3rd party AFCADS, else there would be no airline assigned gates. In each case I am always assigned a gate assigned to the matching airline. So I know for a fact it works just fine. Whether you believe that or not, quite frankly I don't care.Edit: I just found and read "VIP Parking guide" you mention. No where in it does it state ATC ignores parking assignment codes for user aircraft, in fact just the opposite, it re-enforces the idea it does, but instead of relying on an available gate of the airline you are flying, it setups a dedicated gate with a fictitious code "VIP" to ensure a gate is available. If ATC ignored codes for user aircraft, you would not need to assign one (VIP). The only difference is, doing it this way you will always be assigned to this gate, where normally you would be assigned any gate with a matching code if one is available, if not then a random gate.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

In each case I am always assigned a gate assigned to the matching airline. So I know for a fact it works just fine. Whether you believe that or not, quite frankly I don't care.
I don't believe, I know. You see something that seemingly validates your opinion. You then consider that as proof that it works the way you think it works, while there are many other reasons that can explain the same behavior. That has little to do with facts.
I just found and read "VIP Parking guide" you mention.
Did you really? Because you missed the point completely.
No where in it does it state ATC ignores parking assignment codes for user aircraft, in fact just the opposite, it re-enforces the idea it does, but instead of relying on an available gate of the airline you are flying, it setups a dedicated gate with a fictitious code "VIP" to ensure a gate is available.
Where does it mention using VIP as parking code? I'm viewing the PDF, feel free to give a page number.Nowhere does it mention that, on the contrary: "Also note that I have added the Parking code SWA which matches the code in the aircraft.cfg file.". Fourth paragraph on page six of the PDF. Not that the code matters, but I'll come back to that later.It does not need to state that ATC ignores user parking codes. Instead of stating how it doesn't work, it states how it does work, beginning of page two, PDF.The concept is quite simple: Basically, ATC directs traffic based on matching the radius of the aircraft to the radius of available parking spaces.If the radius of the aircraft you are flying is unique, and matches a unique parking spot radius, that is where ATC will direct your aircraft and no other aircraft will use that spot. That unique parking spot will always be reserved for you.All I'm seeing is radius, radius, radius, radius... You'd think that if the code mattered at all, it would've been mentioned there. Especially if the concept is quite simple, I'd expect it to be featured prominently. It isn't, why not?Why do all the mentioned threads exist, why this one? Why does the VIP Parking guide exist? Why at all, if the ATC engine treated user aircraft as AI aircraft using the exact same assignment logic?Possibly... because it doesn't?
If ATC ignored codes for user aircraft, you would not need to assign one (VIP). The only difference is, doing it this way you will always be assigned to this gate, where normally you would be assigned any gate with a matching code if one is available, if not then a random gate.
Um, no. This is were I will go back to the codes. Have you ever considered the possibility that codes are not only used to attract aircraft, but also to keep aircraft away? Fascinating concept, isn't it? As per the Recommended Radius Specification, all Boeing's 737 have a radius of 23m (some use additional radii for GA and Cargo variants). Southwest Airlines only flies 737's. So if you have an 18m SWA coded spot, will AI be going there? No, because the spot is too small to be occupied by a Southwest 737. Will other airlines park there? Not very likely, because of the SWA code.A couple of posts back I gave XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX as suggested codes for the reserved parking spot. Five codes is an arguable limit after which the sim may lose interest in the codes. By using five fake codes, you ensure that no AI will park there. Following the system of AI parking assignment, they will prefer to park elsewhere, unless there is no alternative due to a shortage of parking spots for example. So you see, the codes function as an AI repellant.This ensures the preferred spot or VIP spot if you will, is always available. Where my method is different from the VIP method, is that I don't have to rely on a "unique" radius. I use recommended radii for my user aircraft, I move the spot I want to go to, to the top of the list and change it to the appropriate size, so there is a radius match. I give it the fake codes to keep AI away and ATC will assign it to me, because it is the first spot of adequate size it comes across as it traverses the parking spot list from top to bottom... Oddly enough, my user aircraft all have real codes. So I wonder how you can explain that the ATC engine sends my XYZ coded user aircraft to the XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX coded parking spot, when more compatible spots are available? Such as XYZ codes spots of the same size. It's easy to explain, it does not care about the codes, it will match you to a spot based on radius...Do me favor next time you are assigned a parking spot. Immediately pause the sim and open the airport's Afcad. Then look at all the occupied gates, look at the gate you got assigned and then see if there's a relationship between your aircraft's radius, the parking spot's radius and the parking spot's position on the parking spot list.:(

Mike...

I don't believe, I know. You see something that seemingly validates your opinion. You then consider that as proof that it works the way you think it works, while there are many other reasons that can explain the same behavior. That has little to do with facts.Did you really? Because you missed the point completely.Where does it mention using VIP as parking code? I'm viewing the PDF, feel free to give a page number.Nowhere does it mention that, on the contrary: "Also note that I have added the Parking code SWA which matches the code in the aircraft.cfg file.". Fourth paragraph on page six of the PDF. Not that the code matters, but I'll come back to that later.It does not need to state that ATC ignores user parking codes. Instead of stating how it doesn't work, it states how it does work, beginning of page two, PDF.The concept is quite simple: Basically, ATC directs traffic based on matching the radius of the aircraft to the radius of available parking spaces.If the radius of the aircraft you are flying is unique, and matches a unique parking spot radius, that is where ATC will direct your aircraft and no other aircraft will use that spot. That unique parking spot will always be reserved for you.All I'm seeing is radius, radius, radius, radius... You'd think that if the code mattered at all, it would've been mentioned there. Especially if the concept is quite simple, I'd expect it to be featured prominently. It isn't, why not?Why do all the mentioned threads exist, why this one? Why does the VIP Parking guide exist? Why at all, if the ATC engine treated user aircraft as AI aircraft using the exact same assignment logic?Possibly... because it doesn't?Um, no. This is were I will go back to the codes. Have you ever considered the possibility that codes are not only used to attract aircraft, but also to keep aircraft away? Fascinating concept, isn't it? As per the Recommended Radius Specification, all Boeing's 737 have a radius of 23m (some use additional radii for GA and Cargo variants). Southwest Airlines only flies 737's. So if you have an 18m SWA coded spot, will AI be going there? No, because the spot is too small to be occupied by a Southwest 737. Will other airlines park there? Not very likely, because of the SWA code.A couple of posts back I gave XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX as suggested codes for the reserved parking spot. Five codes is an arguable limit after which the sim may lose interest in the codes. By using five fake codes, you ensure that no AI will park there. Following the system of AI parking assignment, they will prefer to park elsewhere, unless there is no alternative due to a shortage of parking spots for example. So you see, the codes function as an AI repellant.This ensures the preferred spot or VIP spot if you will, is always available. Where my method is different from the VIP method, is that I don't have to rely on a "unique" radius. I use recommended radii for my user aircraft, I move the spot I want to go to, to the top of the list and change it to the appropriate size, so there is a radius match. I give it the fake codes to keep AI away and ATC will assign it to me, because it is the first spot of adequate size it comes across as it traverses the parking spot list from top to bottom... Oddly enough, my user aircraft all have real codes. So I wonder how you can explain that the ATC engine sends my XYZ coded user aircraft to the XXX XXX XXX XXX XXX coded parking spot, when more compatible spots are available? Such as XYZ codes spots of the same size. It's easy to explain, it does not care about the codes, it will match you to a spot based on radius...Do me favor next time you are assigned a parking spot. Immediately pause the sim and open the airport's Afcad. Then look at all the occupied gates, look at the gate you got assigned and then see if there's a relationship between your aircraft's radius, the parking spot's radius and the parking spot's position on the parking spot list.:(
Open the aircraft.cfg file (Notepad works well for this) and make the following edits:1. Remove (delete) all [fltsim.?] entries except the very first one [fltsim.0]2. Edit the title= line so it reads title=Boeing 737-800 VIP3. Edit the ui_manufacture= line so it reads ui_manufacturer="Boeing - VIP 737"4. Add the following two lines to the [fltsim.0] entry:atc_parking_types=GATEatc_parking_codes=VIP5. If you wish to change the default texture to something else, edit the texture=line accordingly.If you do that, you will also need to edit the ui_variation= line to match.The entry should look like something like this when you are finished -The lines I have edited are highlighted in Red and I am using a Southwest airlines texture.4[fltsim.0]title=Boeing 737-800 VIPsim=Boeing737-800model=panel=sound=//texture=1texture=SOUTHWEST_Gkb_checklists=Boeing737-800_checkkb_reference=Boeing737-800_refatc_id=N737Watc_airline=Boeingatc_flight_number=ui_manufacturer="Boeing - VIP 737"ui_type="737-800"ui_variation="Southwest"ui_typerole="Commercial Airliner"ui_createdby="Microsoft Corporation"atc_parking_types=GATEatc_parking_codes=VIPIt also goes on to say if you create more than one VIP space to make sure you use unique parking codes"Note: If you set up more than one VIP aircraft, be sure the Parking Code is unique for each one. We used VIP for this one. I suggest additional codes be numbered – V0P, V1P, V2P, V3P and so on."

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

Keep in mind, one purpose of the VIP spot is to keep AI out, the other is to get ATC to assign it to your user aircraft. Another option, if you use ADE or AFCAD, is to use the cardinal compass variations for parking, to get ATC to at least send you to the correct ramp.scott s..