Sign in to follow this  
j14g

ADF

I'd like to have an ADF in place of VOR2 to identify NDBs. Has anyone got any ideas about how that could be done ?Thanks,Jack<edit>.......but an RMI would be even better !Thanks again,Jack

NDBs....those are still around?
For sure! Here where I live there are many of them. And I can tell you they are very useful.Two ADF aren't too much here, in fact is ideal. lol

Mauricio Brentano

For sure! Here where I live there are many of them. And I can tell you they are very useful.Two ADF aren't too much here, in fact is ideal. lol
In that case, the F33 Bonanza is the better Carenado plane for you.. with two ADF radios.As for changing out the VOR2 gauge, it looks like it is part of the 3d modeland only the authors can change it..

Bert

In the U.S. everyone hates them. Hell, I didn't even learn how to do an NDB approach lol. Are they hard to do?

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

In the U.S. everyone hates them. Hell, I didn't even learn how to do an NDB approach lol. Are they hard to do?
In the U.S. everyone hates them. I'm not sure that's true. In some areas of the Northwest US and Alaska they are valuable navigational aids. In your next check ride, review them with your instructor .

Guest bstolle
In the U.S. everyone hates them. I'm not sure that's true. In some areas of the Northwest US and Alaska they are valuable navigational aids. In your next check ride, review them with your instructor .
It's a very imprecise nav aid. Just talked to a Canadian bush pilot and he mentioned that most NDB approaches have been changed to RNAV approaches.Maintaining an NDB doesn't make much sense these days.They are rapidly being withdrawn all over the globe

NDBs....those are still around?
NBD's also function regularly as the initial approach fix on ILS approaches.

Guest bstolle
NBD's also function regularly as the initial approach fix on ILS approaches.
regularly? at which airports if I may ask?

regularly? at which airports if I may ask?
pager94,pardon me for butting in ......bstolle, as examples, check out the LOMs at KLAX ILS Rwy 24 (278 OS) or KBOS ILS Rwy 4 (375 BO).

Guest bstolle
pager94,pardon me for butting in ......bstolle, as examples, check out the LOMs at KLAX ILS Rwy 24 (278 OS) or KBOS ILS Rwy 4 (375 BO).
A LOM is not an IAF and I wouldn't consider 2 runways worldwide 'regularly'

A LOM is not an IAF and I wouldn't consider 2 runways worldwide 'regularly'
True on the LOM part but as was stated, NDBs are used as LOMs on quige a few airports. However all the approaches i have seen with them, they arent used for anytbing else. NDBs are pointless now with gps and all that fancy stuff.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

A LOM is not an IAF....Yes, LOMs are probably more accurately referred to as the final approach fix (FAF), which is the point of glide slope intercept . Commonly an NDB is used in precision approaches to identify the beginning of the final approach segment.and I wouldn't consider 2 runways worldwide 'regularly' Huh?

True on the LOM part but as was stated, NDBs are used as LOMs on quige a few airports. However all the approaches i have seen with them, they arent used for anytbing else. NDBs are pointless now with gps and all that fancy stuff.
Outside US (and other prosperous nations) some other country regulations state that a GPS shouldn't be used as a main navigation system/aid yet. Here in Brazil, for example, many airports just have one or two operational NDB.Things are fortunately changing, but down here wheels spin too slowly.

Mauricio Brentano

Outside US (and other prosperous nations) some other country regulations state that a GPS shouldn't be used as a main navigation system/aid yet. Here in Brazil, for example, many airports just have one or two operational NDB.Things are fortunately changing, but down here wheels spin too slowly.
Virtually every registered aerodrome in Australia has an NDB, including the main international airports, as well as a published NDB approach. Remote aerodromes will have an NDB and RNAV approach - obviously you would select the RNAV first, however an IFR pilot in Australia is really narrowing his options if he negelected to have NDB on his Instrument Rating. I've had one for 20 years and renew it annually. They will eventually be removed, but not soon - we don't even have LPV approaches here yet!

David Porrett