Sign in to follow this  
kjng

an AA mode that's worth a try

Hi folks,I experimented a bit with NVidia Inspector and found a mode that's not very common but has an astonishing effect on visual quality.It's called "AA_MODE_METHOD_SUPERVCAA_64X_4v12" and it's definitely worth a try over the common 8SQ. It's soooooo smooth, I love it!

This mode does look really nice (I'm assuming it's some sort of supersampling based on the name) but it's using a TON of video RAM here - I'm nearly saturating my 570's 1.28GB.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

...but it's using a TON of video RAM here - I'm nearly saturating my 570's 1.28GB.
Hm, what a shame. Unfortunately it's not for me if that's the case.

This mode does look really nice (I'm assuming it's some sort of supersampling based on the name) but it's using a TON of video RAM here - I'm nearly saturating my 570's 1.28GB.
Hence why it is not well known/commonly used.Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I like it when something actually takes use of what you have ;)I was told on a german forum that this mode is actually 16x CSAA combined with 2x2 OGSSAA , I guess that's some challenge for the gpu.Wondering how it performs on a GTX 580, I'm on a 1GB GTX 460 right now. I'm addicted to the new mode and considering an upgrade.

Very interesting mode. I tried it last night on my system. I have a 520TI OC 1 GB VCard. It worked very well. I monitored the change in video card memory and GPU usage. The vc memory usage went up a little (780MB or so max usage). However, the GPU usage jumped from a max of 65 to 70% to 94%. The CPU usage dropped from a max of ~80% to ~60%. The flights were smoother and the CPU temperatures were down considerably (Max of 78C down to Max of 58C). I will do some longer flights tonight and this weekend and report back. By the way, I am running the system hard:Scenery = MaxedAutogen = extra dense or MaxedOrbx PNW sceneryFrame rates are locked using the antilag bat at 30 FPSAnyway, this could be a very nice way to move some of the processor load from the CPU to GPU.Danny

Danny

I agree this is very good and it seems to "cure" the swimming instruments in the A2A Cub, LH Quest Kodiak, F1 C Mustang. It is using more video resources but if it takes the load off the cpu it can't be all bad.PeterH

It's called "AA_MODE_METHOD_SUPERVCAA_64X_4v12" and it's definitely worth a try over the common 8SQ.
Hey kjng,would you mind posting a Screenshot of your AA / and Texture Filtering settings from the NVIDIA Inspector? I played around with the settings a little bit... it´s strange. Sometimes they apply to FSX and sometimes not. I´m a bit puzzled how to set the AA Behaviour Flags for example. In DX10 the Settings seem to never get applied, which is sad, because my FPS are considerably higher in DX10 than 9.

It's called "AA_MODE_METHOD_SUPERVCAA_64X_4v12" and it's definitely worth a try over the common 8SQ.
I like it - a lot :biggrin: It does not seem to stress my GTX460 too much and it definitely reducesedge shimmering on the 3d gauges, but without making things look soft like the 8XSQ.I was using 8XS, but now I've tried this, I think it will stay on my system!Anyone know what the best Transparency Supersampling is with this?I'm using 4X without bad effects - but wonder if there is a better match..

Bert

It just works in full screen for me apparently

I like it when something actually takes use of what you have ;)I was told on a german forum that this mode is actually 16x CSAA combined with 2x2 OGSSAA , I guess that's some challenge for the gpu.Wondering how it performs on a GTX 580, I'm on a 1GB GTX 460 right now. I'm addicted to the new mode and considering an upgrade.
Markus, what version of the 460 is that? the one with 288 or 336 cuda cores?Have you tried setting AF to app controlled?

Thank´s for that. I´ll give it a try tomorow. I hope that my GTX 260 can handle this.

Wonder if SLI would benefit from this setting. Been holding back on adding another 480, just give me a reason.

So how do you implement this change? Is it a modification to the cfg file or something we can do with nvidia inspector??I have a 512mb 9800 gtx+ so it would be interesting to see how that handles it?????Tom

Tom

Why not read some useful tips and tricks - http://forum.avsim.n...22#entry1965722

So anyone else also having trouble to get it to work in windowed mode please?

So how do you implement this change? Is it a modification to the cfg file or something we can do with nvidia inspector??I have a 512mb 9800 gtx+ so it would be interesting to see how that handles it?????Tom
It's one of the options in the "Antaliasing - Setting" drop down in the nVidia Inspector profile

Woah, this AA mode is really nice. Completely kills any sort of shimmer. I just tested it at Orbx Canberra which has a ton of light poles, etc that usually have a lot of aliasing. This mode cleaned it right up and actually seemed to perform better than other modes that do the same (such as 16xS). I have a 485 and the sweet spot seemed to be limiting frames in-game to prevent GPU usage from bumping against 100% and causing stutters. Once I set frames to 30 in-game, the GPU usage was a nice 60-70%.Overall, this mode seemed to cause a more consistent GPU performance as well, which helped reduce frame rate fluxing a bit. As for performance, it did not seem to reduce frames once I set them to limited. On unlimited, if I was getting 50 FPS with 4xS mode, this new mode may be around 45 FPS. I have some more experimenting to do with clouds and such because I know modes like 16xS can kill performance in clouds but so far this one does not seem as bad.