Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

How to increase jet engine climb thrust?

Hi. Does anyone know how I can increase the climb thrust of jet a/c, via the aircraft.cfg file I imagine. I have already added an entry like this:[jet_engine]thrust_scalar=1.10but at that setting, the a/c in question are already accelerating as much as I would want whilst taxiing, at idle thrust (I have to keep tapping the brakes to keep them from going too fast), so I don't really want to increase the value any further. After take-off though, unless I climb at no more than 800ft/min or so, the a/c will not accelerate to get to a point where I can start lifting flaps - more likely to slow and stall.I've looked through AircraftContainerSDKFS2004.doc (searched for 'climb' and 'thrust' but can't see anything else apart from the above thrust_scalarThanks,Martin

It would make things a great deal easier if you were to state the 'aircraft in question'.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guest belga1

Hello,More the bold number is low .. more power !Reduce slowly the number in your aircraft.cfg and test until satisfaction[TurbineEngineData]fuel_flow_gain = 0.00085inlet_area = 47.080rated_N2_rpm = 11055.000static_thrust = 48080.000afterburner_available = 0reverser_available = 1Regards.bye.gifGus.

Ed, nice of you to answer, but I'd be interested to learn exactly in what way it would 'make things a great deal easier' if I had given the exact aircraft - all entries are the same in the aircraft.cfg, whatever the a/c (I did say it was jet, not turboprop): in fact, in this case it's a PSS Airbus a319/a320 and a321..I will try that out Gus and report back, thanks.Martin

Seems a little better - at least I can accelerate from V2+10 now at 1800 ft/sec (with CLB THR set for the PSS a320), but this is with the value set like this:inlet_area=10.0 //29.0 .. 29 being the default setting of course. Much more than 1800 ft/min and the a/c slows - but that's OK, once I get the flaps up then things run fine.Thanks again - I'll post back here if I have further problems with this (I have only done a couple of tests so far)..Martin

Ed, nice of you to answer, but I'd be interested to learn exactly in what way it would 'make things a great deal easier' if I had given the exact aircraft - all entries are the same in the aircraft.cfg, whatever the a/c (I did say it was jet, not turboprop): in fact, in this case it's a PSS Airbus a319/a320 and a321..I will try that out Gus and report back, thanks.Martin
I asked simply because if it's a freeware one I could have looked into the FDE and seen if I could locate the actual problem. Since it's a commercial product, I can't touch it. However, I can state that setting the inlet that small and still not getting good acceleration once airborne bothers me. Something in the FDE isn't set up correctly.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Probably so - I like PSS a/c very much (a superb Concorde) but although I am fond of the PSS Airbuses too and fly them a lot, they do have their oddities (impossible to adjust the huge bank angle if you change heading by more than a few degrees, for instance). I have had to increase the thrust_scalar value even so, because the inlet_area value is clearly not making as much difference as expected.Well, the a/c is flyable (much more than flyable - just not as perfectly tuned as it could be), and if you use Rob B's groundhandling gauge on the ground, that keeps the overpowered a/c in check during taxi.M.

Although I use a PA/PSS Merge, if anything I find the PSS incredibly overpowered outside of a derated take off.As for the Bank, yes it can be fixed just not hard fixed. Right click the Init page and click next page to the Roll screen.Change the top value to 5.000000 the bottom to 1200.000000. she will give you a nice gentle roll now.Problem is, you need to do this every time.

Clarke Kruger - CYEG 

In fact, I have given wrong information here. Apologies folks! The a/c 'in question' was actually an iFDG a320, not PSS. The reason I (absent-mindedly) assumed it was a PSS model is that some years ago I merged the PSS panel with all my other a319/320/321s, and so I sometimes forget that not every a/c which opens with the PSS panel is actually a PSS plane. I see that I have a collection of .air files and models for this iFDG aircraft. These are...A320-200IAE.airAirbus320-200CFM.airAirbus320-200CFM2.airAirbus320-200IAE.airA3202IAE.mdl (13/02/2004)A3202IAE.mdl (28/02/2004)A3202IAE.mdl (25/03/2005)A3202CFM.mdl (13/02/2004)A3202CFM.mdl (24/05/2004)A3202CFM.mdl (25/03/2005)I will try flying the a/c with a different air file and report back.Thanks for the information re. bank angle - I have never seen that before. Will note it down for future flights.Martin

Guest belga1

Hello,PM send with IFDG CFM and IAE models A320 (Model airfile and aircraft.cfg) to downloadWith those I climb in autopilot (engaged after rotation) with no probs with those sets(in full weight) :Rotation at 130-140Climb rate 2624 feet/minInitial flaps set at 15°Initial trim 2.5 (on my indicator Ken Mitchell panel)Speed in climb as 168 and growing :( Regards.bye.gifGus.

Got the files - thank you very much for that Gus. Will post back with results of course,Martin

Gus, the mdl and air files are ones I already use, but thanks for sending the. The aircraft.cfg file did have some differences though, so I am using the newer one now.I realise that, although I was having problems with the a/c power at all airports, my extreme examples of changing values and getting little effect was because those flights were made from airports at very high altitude (quite by chance) :( It seems that I am getting better results with the changed aircraft.cfg file in any case.I tried changing the values on the INIT/Roll page - great! Pity they can't be hard corrected: I will have to remember to include this as part of my setup every time I fly these planes..Thanks again,M