Sign in to follow this  
crosswind

Baron 58 Mod

Back in 2008 Peter McLeland provided a mod which turbo-charged the DreamFleet Baron 58. I have found the mod which I have applied to my existing DreamFleet FS9 Baron. Now my question is how feasible would this be with the Carenado Baron? Included in the FS9 mod are the aircraft.cfg and an airfile. making changes to the .cfg would be the easy task, but how would one go about making changes to the .air file. Looking through the .cfg the values for the Carenado and the Dreamfleet are not that different, plus/minus a few changes.I do however have a minor gripe with the Carenado Baron, in that, the aircraft tends to drop out of the sky (a bit of an exggagaration)when the throttles are brought back to flight idle (have the same problem with the Caravan). This can make for a disasterous or very hard landing if not executed properly. Also, applying back pressure on the yoke during take-off has to be done with diligence so as not to induce a stall. Which is odd even after attaining V2.Anyone else having these issues, I thought Carenado may have addressed this is their first patch, but guess we'll have to wait and see.Simeon

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

Guest firehawk44
Back in 2008 Peter McLeland provided a mod which turbo-charged the DreamFleet Baron 58. I have found the mod which I have applied to my existing DreamFleet FS9 Baron. Now my question is how feasible would this be with the Carenado Baron? Included in the FS9 mod are the aircraft.cfg and an airfile. making changes to the .cfg would be the easy task, but how would one go about making changes to the .air file. Looking through the .cfg the values for the Carenado and the Dreamfleet are not that different, plus/minus a few changes.I do however have a minor gripe with the Carenado Baron, in that, the aircraft tends to drop out of the sky (a bit of an exggagaration)when the throttles are brought back to flight idle (have the same problem with the Caravan). This can make for a disasterous or very hard landing if not executed properly. Also, applying back pressure on the yoke during take-off has to be done with diligence so as not to induce a stall. Which is odd even after attaining V2.Anyone else having these issues, I thought Carenado may have addressed this is their first patch, but guess we'll have to wait and see.Simeon
I have suffered similar fates with my Carenardo aircraft when not keeping attention to the speed gauge. You'll see a green line around 60 or 80 knots that you should never fall below. If you keep the speed above 60 or 80 knots (depending on aircraft), it won't drop out of the sky and the modeling and air file are perfect in that regard. I haven't flown the real thing but would think you should be able to recover from a stall but sometimes you're just too low and it's impossible. Dropping out of the sky is no fun but, for me, it's a good learning tool. Be especially wary of your speed when you drop the landing gear and lower the flaps. When taking off, you should not attempt to take off until you have reached the minimum speeds on the gauges as discussed above and/or the aircraft specs found in the manual.Best regards,Jim

Jim, she is fun to fly, however I learned to fly on a Baron 58 over 20 years ago with over 160 hours in the aircraft. The handling characteristics for takeoff and landing are not realistic. That is the main gripe that I have with the aircraft at this moment

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

Jim, she is fun to fly, however I learned to fly on a Baron 58 over 20 years ago with over 160 hours in the aircraft. The handling characteristics for takeoff and landing are not realistic. That is the main gripe that I have with the aircraft at this moment
to me it seems that the stall characteristics are off. Apart from this I like the product. Havent tested the single engine handling yet.

Robin