Sign in to follow this  
yos233

My latest work

For the past week I have been working on my 747 fuel calculator again. I imported it into Google Spreadsheets and this opened up tons of automation opportunities. So far, I have,

• Automatically calculated the distance between two airports
  • Found the estimated time en-route
  • Calculated aircraft heading for winds
  • Gives a suggested Optimum Altitude to fly
  • Automatically finds adjust value for altitude

Right now I am working on pressure altitude of an airport from ATIS information and airport elevation. The barrier here is that GD takes a <TABLE> value from the source of the website, and for some reason, there are a different number tables for different airport pages.The link is open for anyone to download their own copy, but it does have to stay online for the Google functions to work.

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

WOW!Amazing work there! Much better than the calculator I have, keep on it mate, you're talented!

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

For the past week I have been working on my 747 fuel calculator again. I imported it into Google Spreadsheets and this opened up tons of automation opportunities. So far, I have,
  • Automatically calculated the distance between two airports
  • Found the estimated time en-route
  • Calculated aircraft heading for winds
  • Gives a suggested Optimum Altitude to fly
  • Automatically finds adjust value for altitude

Right now I am working on pressure altitude of an airport from ATIS information and airport elevation. The barrier here is that GD takes a <TABLE> value from the source of the website, and for some reason, there are a different number tables for different airport pages.The link is open for anyone to download their own copy, but it does have to stay online for the Google functions to work.

This looks amazing! Never use google docs, so what do I have to do to use it online? Sorry for the silly question.

This looks amazing! Never use google docs, so what do I have to do to use it online? Sorry for the silly question.
You need a Google Account.
WOW!Amazing work there! Much better than the calculator I have, keep on it mate, you're talented!
Thanks for the complement. I intend to continue working on this and then move on to the NGX calculator.

Eric Vander

My 747 Fuel Calculator

So what's going on now?Well, I have discovered some interesting things with Google Docs. You must be logged in to an account to create a copy for yourself. To solve this I made another doc here for public no-login users. You may still use the original doc if you have a Google account and want to make a copy.I have been partially successful in ATIS gathering. I switched from AirNav to GCMapper. The ATIS should now work with most American airports, but the international are not cooperating. The ATIS function has also been extended to the section for the destination airport, which will now gather information the same way as the departure airport.Up next is gathering wind direction and speed from the ATIS for landing calculations.

Eric Vander

My 747 Fuel Calculator

Lets see what has been added since I last posted. Access links are the same for my personal one, but will change for the user-editable table. This is the new link.. Remember, you can make your own copy and edit it to your hearts content.

• Alternate Airport Fields, with respective ATIS gathering and automatic fuel-to-alternate have been added. Link to GCMapper to find suitable alternate airports.
  • Minimum Landing Fuel now automated. It's a simple thing but never seemed to work by distance so now it registers by time (5 hours), which is a function of distance anyways.
  • Contingency Fuel will now turn red when less than 30 minutes. (This is also true of gross weights and their respective maximums, but that is expected)
  • ATIS reports now work for all the European airports I have tried, along with the United States. Millibar to Inches conversion is done in the Pressure fields.
  • Automatic field entering has been added to ATIS reports. Now your arriving airport and alternate will import current wind data into the respective boxes for you. You need only give it a runway heading.
  • En-Route Section finally presentable. If you have seen it before, you knew it was a collection of useless letters and a TRUE box. It will now generate a suitable route for you to fly, from either of two sources, FlightAware or Vataware.
  • Step climbs now work and will display the time until your step climb. There is a box to subtract time from your step climbs in case you are already en-route (though your FMC could do it much better than I)
  • Approach Airspeed has been automated based on flap configuration.
  • Fields with a limited answer range (Landing Flaps, Routing Source, and Autobrake Intensity) now have a drop-down box of options. You may choose from these instead of typing it in yourself.

In case any of you are wondering, all my data tables are on another spreadsheet. They get imported when required. (Fuel Consumption, Step Climb, Alternate Fuel Burn, Landing speed). This is the link, if you wish to have a look at what makes it all work.

Eric Vander

My 747 Fuel Calculator

Since my (personal) spreadsheet is continually changing, this is more for an overall check up and for the people who use my no-login requirement sheet. Either way, I have replaced the User-Editable sheet

• Canadian airports, Hong Kong (VHHH), and "EK" European airport ATIS functionality added.
  • All airports that it thinks will not generate an ATIS for will return "Invalid Airport" instead of a collection of letters that would serve as a distration.

I haven't had reports of it, but I have seen the effects of vandalism on my sheet. Please remember, enter text only in Column "B", "A" and "C" should not be touched (Except for the alternate finder link). Inside "B" text should only be entered in grey squares, the white means it auto-completes.New Editable Link (Editable just means you don't need a Google Account. You can use your Account to access my personal one and create a copy of it for yourself.)

Eric Vander

My 747 Fuel Calculator

Well, I have decided to shut down the User Editable sheet. It is causing too many problems for me and you guys. I haven't been able to reproduce the problems on my own, but every time I look into that sheet I see errors everywhere. I'm going back to the old system where you may look at my sheet, and then choose to create your own copy.

Eric Vander

My 747 Fuel Calculator