Sign in to follow this  
cmeeks

Sandy Bridge Motherboard Experience

All favoritism and brand loyalty aside, how are your P67 motherboards treating you guys? My Gigabyte board has been mostly flawless for the last couple months. That is until twice I got an idle BSOD last week. I've done a little reading around and it looks like I need to mess with my PLL overvoltage. I'm convinced the idle BSOD is solvable, so I'm not particularly worried. I've done nothing to try and fix it so far. Also, my Sata II ports are all dead but we know that's Intel's problem.

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here

Hi Corey,The ASUS P8P67 B3 Deluxe is nearly flawless so far. Not a single problem except that I have had, like you, a BSOD from time to time when it is idling, but not very often. Kind of strange though. Otherwise great!Kind regards,

All favoritism and brand loyalty aside, how are your P67 motherboards treating you guys? My Gigabyte board has been mostly flawless for the last couple months. That is until twice I got an idle BSOD last week. I've done a little reading around and it looks like I need to mess with my PLL overvoltage. I'm convinced the idle BSOD is solvable, so I'm not particularly worried. I've done nothing to try and fix it so far. Also, my Sata II ports are all dead but we know that's Intel's problem.
My P8P67 Dlx B3 is rock solid except for the sleep problem (doesn't wake up from sleep). Had to adapt my oc settings when going from B2 to B3 and the different Bios. Am now on 1503 at 4600 and 1.35 v HT ON. Ordered some new Ram 2x4gb 2133 and see the difference with my Corsair 1600 run at 1866.Bios 1503 seems very good. Still testing. It did cure the keyboard access in the boot mgr of Win7 (running dual-boot).

Pierre

No problem here so far. Knock on woodWell, there's this thing with my Vcore. It's higher after reboots than after cold boots. Some 0.02V. Annoying, but that's about the only issue I've had so far

P67A-UD7-B3 no problem other than I think the F2 bios is still a little funky. I do not want to move to the F3 bios because I read some rumblings guys do not like it and I do not want to mess with 10 LLC setings; the two I have now are confusing enough. I had the hang on post with reset button once, which the F3 bios is supposed to cure. I also find it hard to get it to the bios on the delet key, I have to shutoff the PSU then it works first time. An occasional sound glitch, not sure what it is, I think the NIVIDA sound driver, which I removed but once in a blue-moon I get this weird rumbling sound fron the REALTEC onboard sound. I am not hitting it hard I can do 4.5GHz stable at 1.35v HT on and all the other goodies (c-states) but have it down to 4.4 and timing down to 7 7 7 24 2T Once from cold boot USB mouse was not detected had to turn PSU off to get it to work on reboot.Realtec have a new sound driver and Lan driver out and intel has a new chipset driver out btw, Gigabyte has not updated these you need go direct.

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

It's ironic you just made this post - I had my first BSOD today. Flying on Vatsim, probably not more than 1 hr... and wham!Have no idea what it's related to. Ambient room temp was warmer than normal, that's about it.In fact I've had more FSX app crashes with this PC than any other build or game I've used. Tried flying into FSDreamteam's ORD tonight... normally there's a slight pause as the scenery loads, instead PC just hangs with cpu maxed out and RAM over 4GB lol. I think next time I'll buy an off the shelf PC - I don't have time to keep figuring out these CTD's - it happened when I was a stock BIOS settings and now with the OC. Sometimes you just can't win... *sigh*Problem signature: Problem Event Name: AppHangB1 Application Name: fsx.exe Application Version: 10.0.61637.0 Application Timestamp: 46fadb14 Hang Signature: 59c9 Hang Type: 0 OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1 Locale ID: 1033 Additional Hang Signature 1: 59c9cf0d0c5e9fb621de08c4a204184f Additional Hang Signature 2: 6bda Additional Hang Signature 3: 6bdae9f00aca46a30d703c0464e4efa7 Additional Hang Signature 4: 59c9 Additional Hang Signature 5: 59c9cf0d0c5e9fb621de08c4a204184f Additional Hang Signature 6: 6bda Additional Hang Signature 7: 6bdae9f00aca46a30d703c0464e4efa7Untitled-62.jpgUntitled1-4.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

My ud4 was very problematic. I had cold boot problems with any bios stock or beta, new or old. Very stable in windows no BSOd ever, just could never cold boot without re-setting the cmos via a jumper...massive pain!Ud5 b3 on f3h has be FINE largely. It has 9 levels of llc meaning I can lower idle voltage and have little to no v droop on load. Thus voltages are lower on idle and slighty on load with the b3 ud5. This was not possible on ud4 b2 as it only had one llc option. The new board has been stable and only one bsod on load, so upped the vcore a bit. Got a weak-ish cpu here needing 1.38-1.39 to be bsod free in testing for 4.7-4.8; needs 1.35 for 4.5...so once I get an add-on airliner I will see where I need to be speed-wise as every 2 ghz yields 1.5 fps on low end heavy scenario testing on my system...so i may tone it down if need be as fps are high enough overall to save the chips life a little. Much better than my x58 system both in speed and lack of freeze or lock-ups that would happen on the x58...so happy with the gigabyte board and the chipset overall in the end.

Simon

On my BSOD's I've been getting the 000000000.... 124 code - which per some web sites says you need more QPI/VTT voltage. Mine was set at 1.12, so just now I bumped to 1.14. Vcore is set at 1.34, multiplier is 45, and cpui pll voltage 1.76.Od thing is, I've had it set to 4500MHz for a few weeks , passed OCCT 1 hr test and P95 no issues. Why would it start to BSOD now? Wouldn't it have done that initially?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Been fine when running anything, but like yourselves, the odd day its been left idle I've had a couple of BSODs. Wonder if its a chipset issue?

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

Been fine when running anything, but like yourselves, the odd day its been left idle I've had a couple of BSODs. Wonder if its a chipset issue?
My money says clock related and nothing to do with the chip. I have not had a BSOD an this rig unless my clock was not as stable as I thought and regardless of how long you run 95 or OCCT. The airwaves would be running awry if it was hardware related and I don't see that happening.

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

I think it's a PLL issue

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here

My money says clock related and nothing to do with the chip. I have not had a BSOD an this rig unless my clock was not as stable as I thought and regardless of how long you run 95 or OCCT. The airwaves would be running awry if it was hardware related and I don't see that happening.
I don't think so - I had CTD's and errors when I was a stock settings. I guess what upsets me is I don't know how to test what is causing it. It's so random - I thought I tracked the G3d.dll errors down by changing video drivers but then I got one last night landing FSDT KORD. The BSOD's are new though... likely related to my voltage somewhere :PI wonder what people consider safe voltages for the QPI/VTT. I read Intel is 3% either side of 1.05 = 1.08. But I'm at 1.14... I also read 1.2 was about the max you want to go but it was only another forum, nothing official.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

I am following this thread with the greatest of interest. I don't know what the answer to the idle BSOD question is but wonder how widespread it is?Kind regards,

Don't have the 2600K but my experience with BSOD is rams related, running higher CPU clock will (usually) need faster rams and looser timing, greater chance of BSOD with your CPU at 5.0GHz + rams at 1600MHz cas 6 compare to 5.0GHz with rams at 2133 cas 9.My rams default voltage is 1.65 but I need more to keep up with my overclock, default voltage will give me BSOD.Try comparing your rams settings + speed and cas just to see if there is a corellation between you guys with BSOD and guys without.Faster CPU need faster rams to keep up with it, just my 2 cents.

Knock on wood. The only problem I've ever had with this MSI P67A-GD65 B3 board was before, I flashed the BIOS taking the mem to 2133MHz.This machine has been running 24/7 with nary a problem since. Oh the processesor is an i7 2600k.With the Zalman 9700nt cooler, it idles at 21c. With FSX, REX GEX UTX ASE, TRAFFICX at 50% 38-41c and I still need to finish the FSX_cfg tweaks.BSOD shNO-BSOD