Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

You're not getting my MONEY! Buyer Beware!

One of the major problems I find with software activation is that legitimate customers like me have to deal with the "no remaining activation" message.When I purchased the VRS F/A 18 from Best Buy, I thought this would never be a problem. After deciding to create a Raid0 with my SSDs, and reinstalled everything, I got the dreaded message. Now I have a choice, contact the VRS support and request activation, or just avoid buying software that needs activation.I've decided to avoid buying anything that requires activation. Can you hear me Aerosoft?Some of you might think that, I'm out of line however activation has not stopped piracy and the only customers that are inconvenienced are the legitimate ones like me!

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

But, stay fair. Some companies really make it easy to get stuff activated. Take Flight1 for example. I had some problems with one of their products and installed it at least 10 times or so, running into some limits after 5 (I guess).Easy thing to reset that counter, and everything to be done is described on the F1 page and only took me three minutes.Now, that VRS thing should also be easy to reactivate. Just drop them a line and you're good to go soon.But, you are right in the case of the complain about the general trend to force some kind of "necessary" activation. Those pirate guys get their stuff done without any limit while the valid customer has to care about codes, internet connections and activation limits while also worrying about his personal data here and there. I really doubt that there's a single flight sim product out there which isn't available for free. So that protection is rendered useless while eating up some development time and nagging valid customers.I'm ok with some code or something. Type it in once, see a "welcome DJ Jose!" on the screen and fly. :smile:Do the devs around really believe that those pirate cracking minds are less clever than they are? C'mon, that would be naive. The whole industry sits on that "now we have a secure system" myth, getting spoiled every few weeks by the announcement that you are now able to break your latest iPhone, boot your PS3 with Linux, copy that Blu-Ray and so on. What protects stuff like software would be a basic thing (so that everyone realizes some protection to be active) and some good product quality with great service. That's my personal viewpoint.Protection by trying to build higher walls often leads to loss of focus, product quality.

It wouldn't be so bad, if they didn't have my personal information. A customers creates an account and they still set a limit. Why set a limit on your customers? If I was doing something wrong, they would know it's me and no one else. I would be guilty.I agree that there are some that do get it. Flight1, ORBX, etc. They get it and as long as they do, I will be a happy customer.

This "why do they set a limit at all?" is my main question too, don't worry. It doesn't protect their stuff as it's available not only in shops I think. It only blocks your valid attempts to install it again, after working on your system.But, for the sake of flying that beautiful bird, you should really go on and contact them because of that activation. I think that your thread once again shows how naive (can't find a better word) these protection mechanism are, and how much of a downside they can become for the customer (remember, that's the guy who pays you, dear devs, not that pirate kid).I hope you get her flying again soon. :(

One of the major problems I find with software activation is that legitimate customers like me have to deal with the "no remaining activation" message.When I purchased the VRS F/A 18 from Best Buy, I thought this would never be a problem. After deciding to create a Raid0 with my SSDs, and reinstalled everything, I got the dreaded message. Now I have a choice, contact the VRS support and request activation, or just avoid buying software that needs activation.I've decided to avoid buying anything that requires activation. Can you hear me Aerosoft?Some of you might think that, I'm out of line however activation has not stopped piracy and the only customers that are inconvenienced are the legitimate ones like me!
Yep, its really annoying to have to mess around with install limits.I am guessing you forgot to deactivate the product before you deleted it?Bryan.

As of right now, to my knowledge, only FSDT is offering a deactivation. But, this also annoys me. Why should I have to deactivate? They know who I am.

As of right now, to my knowledge, only FSDT is offering a deactivation. But, this also annoys me. Why should I have to deactivate? They know who I am.
You can revoke your license from the VRS control panel thingy...lol not very technical but I can't remember what it's called. At the end of the day I sympathise but I believe the problem is that we never technically own the product, we just purchase a license to install in on our PC and use it within a very tightly controlled set of conditions. Because of this lack of 'ownership' the developers of the product can treat us in any way they wish.I agree with you, what a way to treat a customer, basically as far as the developer is concerned we are guilty of piracy until we prove our innocence.Bryan.

You know I have had one of those days. My best cure is go out into my garden and work on some landscaping, go to the driving range and work on my golf swing, take my dog for a walk.We all totally get it! It's like getting shingles in the derrière. Unfortunately it's reality just like speed limits and traffic lights.All in fun DJJ.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

GentsIt is my belief, judging by the service I was treated with, by VRS staff that the picture given for these nice guys is a unfair. I've also run out of activations because I've never realized that I had the option to deactivate. After a simple email message, VRS friendly staff reset my activations count on a Sunday!!!. I didn't know them personally, I am just a customer and for me it was enjoyable, simple and social to communicate with developers like VRS who always take care of you.They have to protect their work by some means. When they offer the deactivation option, which is in fact a process of unlimited activations (when you follow it), everything turns ok. The other effective option would have been a codemasters stick which is probably the best protection method but at the same time very expensive.Concluding, if you enjoy the bug, send VRS an email and I'm sure that you'll be both happy and convinced about your purchase being the right move.

Having unlimited activations is the same thing as having a no activation set-up in place. You would be surprised as to how many "friends" share their software keys with other "friends".Edit: Windows Vista, Win 7, Office, FSX, and other pieces of software have limited activations also.

Having unlimited activations is the same thing as having a no activation set-up in place. You would be surprised as to how many "friends" share their software keys with other "friends".Edit: Windows Vista, Win 7, Office, FSX, and other pieces of software have limited activations also.
Jim,That does NOT apply to me. If it did, I would not be expressing how I feel. If I were someone using the software in an illegal way, then I would not use my personal information or sign up to be a strong supporter of any software. I certainly would not be here. Are there people out there who abuse the courtesy extended by some developers? Probably! I want every developer to succeed and I hope that one day it becomes impossible for pirates to crack software. I wish all the developers the very best and I appreciate the hard work they put into their excellent product.

Edit: Windows Vista, Win 7, Office, FSX, and other pieces of software have limited activations also.
Conclusion by analogy from your side, 'if everyone does it, it must be right'. That's the wrong thinking and the nice world of capitalism just shows you how powerful this wrongness really is.So, I apologize, but your "simple example" does exactly the opposite of what is was intended for, convince people. :(And before anybody gets this thread or tenor wrong, nobody (including me) complained about the VRS support, the product qualities and the "need" for some protection of goods.Gentlemen, as some of you sell stuff and wonder about the active "friendship" (at least, you use this as an argument, but I wonder how you measure things you don't know about) at some places, it may be time to think about some other methods besides this protection as it clearly shows it's lacking potential.People don't buy your stuff because it is heavily protected, they buy it because they like it, like your company and the policy behind it. So, if they "fail" on buying, this protection thingy doesn't bring them back but may even stress their demand for "free" offers some more.Google your own products and see how many of those offers you get. I'm usually very impressed about the sheer amount there when just looking for some support forums to post my stupid sentences at. So, does your protection work or does it show it's naive character there?
I hope that one day it becomes impossible for pirates to crack software.
DJ Jose, I really like your polite appearance in the forums, but I have to state that this (statement of yours) would be the wrong thinking too. The guys on the one side are as clever as the guys on the other one, so the only cure to some problems (including piracy) isn't the always ongoing upgrade of protection, but the focus on the product itself.If someone feels cool when he just cracked your 50 Dollar product, something in this community is wrong. Start blaming him when he tries to be cool, start explaining why this soft he just cracked is well worth 50 Dollars and he won't have a motivation for trying to be cool again.Downside. If this thing doesn't get the "worth" label it will always be attractive for pirates, for "good" reason, and no protection will ever hold them back.Some devs will argue that the "naive" (but well worth) approach of small protection and very good product quality and support will never lead to 100% legal customers. True! But since you never ever achieve 100% one way or the other, you should go the way which makes most customers happy and lets all the pirates behind with their cracks and stuff.Now, look at you, being a valid customer and unhappy because of that protection, while the pirate guy is flying the thing. Get my drift?

Conclusion by analogy from your side, 'if everyone does it, it must be right'. That's the wrong thinking and the nice world of capitalism just shows you how powerful this wrongness really is.So, I apologize, but your "simple example" does exactly the opposite of what is was intended for, convince people. :(And before anybody gets this thread or tenor wrong, nobody (including me) complained about the VRS support, the product qualities and the "need" for some protection of goods.Gentlemen, as some of you sell stuff and wonder about the active "friendship" (at least, you use this as an argument, but I wonder how you measure things you don't know about) at some places, it may be time to think about some other methods besides this protection as it clearly shows it's lacking potential.People don't buy your stuff because it is heavily protected, they buy it because they like it, like your company and the policy behind it. So, if they "fail" on buying, this protection thingy doesn't bring them back but may even stress their demand for "free" offers some more.Google your own products and see how many of those offers you get. I'm usually very impressed about the sheer amount there when just looking for some support forums to post my stupid sentences at. So, does your protection work or does it show it's naive character there?DJ Jose, I really like your polite appearance in the forums, but I have to state that this (statement of yours) would be the wrong thinking too. The guys on the one side are as clever as the guys on the other one, so the only cure to some problems (including piracy) isn't the always ongoing upgrade of protection, but the focus on the product itself.If someone feels cool when he just cracked your 50 Dollar product, something in this community is wrong. Start blaming him when he tries to be cool, start explaining why this soft he just cracked is well worth 50 Dollars and he won't have a motivation for trying to be cool again.Downside. If this thing doesn't get the "worth" label it will always be attractive for pirates, for "good" reason, and no protection will ever hold them back.Some devs will argue that the "naive" (but well worth) approach of small protection and very good product quality and support will never lead to 100% legal customers. True! But since you never ever achieve 100% one way or the other, you should go the way which makes most customers happy and lets all the pirates behind with their cracks and stuff.Now, look at you, being a valid customer and unhappy because of that protection, while the pirate guy is flying the thing. Get my drift?
I respect your opinion. I have one too. :(

While all views presented here are valid (but one IMO), I again think that fellow simmer DJJose likes to enjoy his purchase, and having had this problem in the past, I simply described my good experience with VRS Staff.Regarding the fact that unlimited activations is like no activation, I again think that this is not true. Almost all developers ensure that once numbered applications end, they refill them by just notifying them. If some developer doesn't choose to offer this polic,y then this has to be clearly stated in advance, so that the customer knows what he is purchasing and for what circumstances. Computer parts failure and upgrades, OS reinstallations and HDD formats is a common behaviour and therefore if a product is of limited use, this must be clearly and boldly stated upfront.

Some of you might think that, I'm out of line however activation has not stopped piracy and the only customers that are inconvenienced are the legitimate ones like me!
Security has not stopped terrorism and the only passengers who are inconvenienced are legitimate ones like me.