Sign in to follow this  
Guest firehawk44

NVIDIA Stereoscopic Driver Service

Guest firehawk44

I recently downloaded and installed 3DMark11 Benchmark and started testing my new system. I was constantly getting benchmark scores of 3977 and the program advised that my system was not comparable to similar systems and gave me a RED X indicating my system was not set up correctly. I checked all my drivers and everything was up-to-date and properly installed. Frustrated I did some checking through Google and a Microsoft Tech recommended one individual go into the System Configuration (msconfig) and disable all non-Microsoft services. After doing this and restarting the system, I ran 3DMark11 and suddenly my benchmark score jumped up to 6207 (a 2000 plus point spread in this program is very dramatic). I went back into MSCONFIG and reenabled the NVIDIA Stereoscopic Driver Service, ran the benchmark again, and my score returned to 3977. So that was the culprit. If you want to know what might be slowing down your system, you might want to check out this service and make sure it is disabled if you are not using the 3D program. I like flying in 3D in FSX and I am still able to get good performance with fps limited to 26. It's just that every so often my fps dive into the teens and that didn't happen when I first installed FSX in my new system. 3D Technology is relatively new and pretty neat in FSX and I'm hoping future drivers from NVIDIA will enhance the performance. Best regards,Jim

Jim. This is a DX9 issue, I fear just as we had with the first 3D surround driver. Try FSX DX10 mode in 3D and I bet your frames are trebled.

Keith Sandford.

I recently downloaded and installed 3DMark11 Benchmark and started testing my new system. I was constantly getting benchmark scores of 3977 and the program advised that my system was not comparable to similar systems and gave me a RED X indicating my system was not set up correctly. I checked all my drivers and everything was up-to-date and properly installed. Frustrated I did some checking through Google and a Microsoft Tech recommended one individual go into the System Configuration (msconfig) and disable all non-Microsoft services. After doing this and restarting the system, I ran 3DMark11 and suddenly my benchmark score jumped up to 6207 (a 2000 plus point spread in this program is very dramatic). I went back into MSCONFIG and reenabled the NVIDIA Stereoscopic Driver Service, ran the benchmark again, and my score returned to 3977. So that was the culprit. If you want to know what might be slowing down your system, you might want to check out this service and make sure it is disabled if you are not using the 3D program. I like flying in 3D in FSX and I am still able to get good performance with fps limited to 26. It's just that every so often my fps dive into the teens and that didn't happen when I first installed FSX in my new system. 3D Technology is relatively new and pretty neat in FSX and I'm hoping future drivers from NVIDIA will enhance the performance. Best regards,Jim
I recently made the step to 3D Vision and build myself a new 2600K - GTX580 system anticipating on a performance drop but was very surprised that there was only a small one, say 5 to 10 fps even with 8xAA and 16x AS.I'm using Win7/FSX on a dedicated Vraptor and all the heavy stuff and also using a external fps limiter at 30 fps. The system act very good with only minor drops to 25 fps in very demanding situations.I'm also using the last Nvidia 270.x driver with very good results.Happy landings...

I suspect that this one has recently bit me in the a$$ also. Now I do the avanced install only with only the driver option selected.Cheersjja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Guest firehawk44
Jim. This is a DX9 issue, I fear just as we had with the first 3D surround driver. Try FSX DX10 mode in 3D and I bet your frames are trebled.
Thanks for the info. I'm not really trying to double or triple my fps. I like them at 26 as things are clear and smooth in 3D locked at 26 in DX9 mode. I'm just saying the Stereoscopic Service is taking a massive amount of resources on all systems. As I recall, this Service is installed whether you have 3D glasses or not every time you install/update NVIDIA drivers and is taking up major resources. Those who are not flying FSX in 3D might want to check to make sure this Service is disabled and that might give you better fps and better enjoyment of FSX. I think JJJAllen has it figured out as he has already been "bitten" by this Service. Best regards,Jim

Interesting as I just upgraded to the newest drivers and chose not to install 3Dvision and my framerates went up about a 1/3.

I read on another forum lot's of users moaning that they chose not to install the stereoscopic driver but it did anyway.

Keith Sandford.

Frustrated I did some checking through Google and a Microsoft Tech recommended one individual go into the System Configuration (msconfig) and disable all non-Microsoft services.
There is another 'Non-Microsoft'. NVIDIA DISPLAY DRIVER SERVICE. That one i am assuming should be left 'enabled'. Please pardon my ignorance when it comes to the finer points of PC configuration.I disabled the Stereoscopic driver service though. A very noticeable difference. Many thanks for that one Jim.Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Guest firehawk44
There is another 'Non-Microsoft'. NVIDIA DISPLAY DRIVER SERVICE. That one i am assuming should be left 'enabled'. Please pardon my ignorance when it comes to the finer points of PC configuration.I disabled the Stereoscopic driver service though. A very noticeable difference. Many thanks for that one Jim.Regards,
Glad I was able to help! I do not have the NVIDIA Display Driver Service in the Services section of my Windows 7, 64bit OS and I have the latest drivers installed. In any case, it is safe to disable and, according to EVGA, it's a resourse hog too! http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=3839&mpage=1 It might have been used by Nvidia for older systems/display drivers but it's not installed in the latest systems. Do not disable the Nvidia Display Helper Service as I understand you will no longer be able to get into the Nvidia Control Panel. I use the Nvidia Tweaking Guide at the following link for my info: http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_1.html and for setting up my graphics for FSX. Best regards,Jim

Nvidia Stereo 3d and FSX DX10 preview are incompatible.

Glad I was able to help! I do not have the NVIDIA Display Driver Service in the Services section of my Windows 7, 64bit OS and I have the latest drivers installed. In any case, it is safe to disable and, according to EVGA, it's a resourse hog too! http://www.evga.com/...?m=3839&mpage=1 It might have been used by Nvidia for older systems/display drivers but it's not installed in the latest systems. Do not disable the Nvidia Display Helper Service as I understand you will no longer be able to get into the Nvidia Control Panel. I use the Nvidia Tweaking Guide at the following link for my info: http://www.tweakguid.../NVFORCE_1.html and for setting up my graphics for FSX. Best regards,Jim
Many thanks again. I am using two GTX460s with a core i7-950 on a W7-64bit O.S. along with *******'s tweaks and limiting to 30fps with an external limiter and couldn't understand why FSX wasn't as smooth as i would like. Now i know why.Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Didn't use 3DMark11, but I have to say as excited as I was to stumble on to a serious potential perf booster, I'm afraid it's not happening for me. I noted the nV Stereo Driver Service was indeed running, however disabling it had no appreciable affect on FSX performance. But it didn't hurt either. :( Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Nvidia Stereo 3d and FSX DX10 preview are incompatible.
Absolute bullcrap. 3D surround and 3D vision work perfectly in DX10 preview mode.

Keith Sandford.