Sign in to follow this  
CoolP

DRIFTER ULTRALIGHT FOR FLIGHT SIMULATOR X

I just saw that FSS lists Anthony's new creation, the Drifter Ultralight. If it comes in the same fidelity as his Tecnam Sierra, this thing is a no-brainer and well worth to be supported.aai002pic2.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.usSo if the new Katana is too fast for you, get the Drifter or take both (which is my plan, putting the Drifter in the basket). :smile:Here's the featureset. When looking at the price of that thing you'll go :(.This particular aircraft is a virtual nuts and bolts recreation of the real world aircraft 25-455 and includes the following features:

• Smooth 3D gauges
  • Custom made radio and GPS units
  • Incredibly detailed model
  • Wheeled version plus Float plane version
  • Bump and specular mapped textures
  • 13 paint variations in total
  • Paint variations included with user settable registration numbers
  • Genuine engine sounds
  • Stall buffet effect
  • Animations for tiedowns, pitot covers and wheel chocks
  • Animated pilot and passenger models which can be displayed or hidden
  • In game Animation manager to control animations
  • Separate Setup Program to manage preferences and load settings
  • Demo version available so you can try before you buy

Just installed and now look at that setup program to see the mentioned fidelity.setupet.jpgThere also is a special GPS gauge included and the thing comes in a wheeled and float version. Talking about a 20 AUD addon! Impressive.gpsmr.jpgSome more shots there. The pilot looks a bit like some flight sim celebrity, doesn't he? Catch the engine detail and the nice texture of the insulation for example. As you've guessed, framerates aren't a problem on this bird as on all of Anthony's planes.engineas.th.jpgengine2a.th.jpgtwoguys.th.jpg91676176.th.jpg

It's fun little plane.Check out the demo if you're not sure.Good for low and slow

Good for low and slow
Indeed!The sounds are well done too, you can hear the structure vibrating here and there.Currently checking the GPS though, a unique gauge and very useful while offering more atmosphere and features than standard gauges. A 2D popup is included, so no trouble when operating the thing.The VC is done with nice and fluent 3D gauges, offering realistic reflections. Oh, I just found this small Yaw string, it's working of course.I just came in too slow on the approach and she then behaved quite touchy, so expect some detail on the FDE too. Well done, Anthony!Oh, Alan is reading this. I guess he's planing to attach some weapons then. Awaiting the tactical estimation of the Drifter. How will it compete against the Spit and the 777? :( Have to admit, I'm asking myself too.Ah, and be aware of one logical limitation. No night lighting or such things there, so don't try to light up things with that GPS display, ok? The radio is backlit too, the rest will need moonlight.

It looks pretty good, probably gonna get this little fella, although I should imagine if the Rotax is accurately modeled from a sound point of view, then I'll need some earplugs. Hey, there's nothing wrong with sticking weapons on a small aircraft, you never seen You Only Live Twice?Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Hey, there's nothing wrong with sticking weapons on a small aircraft, you never seen You Only Live Twice?Al
I knew that I saw your face before, Alan.
And you're right about the earplugs of course. I wanted to cover the "noisy" character with the simple 'authentic sounds' statements. Now, as they seem to be authentic, your mentioned equipment is indeed a good idea.Seems like the Rotax devs were up for producing noise in the first place, with power output as a sideeffect. LOL.gifI'd like to mention that there a three manuals included. One Overview, a Tutorial and the one for the GPS. So although the thing may seem easy, it has some detail to offer and to read about.The GPS for example offers a HSI view, so you can either have the moving map or that additional instrument (which doesn't measure things of course, but calculates them. Same with the VSI on the GPS, which is very useful).gps2.th.jpg

Small list (maybe Anthony reads this, he doesn't have a own forum) with reports/suggestions1) The GPS popup is really neat for operating the unit. Since the radio is done in great detail (clicksounds, memory storage for freq) too, a popup for it might help the users to actually "hit the spot" since the VC is shaking in flight. Just suggesting, no complain.1.5) A clickspot in the VC for toggling the 2D GPS popup would be neat.2) The Tutorial manual shows another animation manager than the current product. The one showing in the manual is "tabbed", the one on the product is simplified (no tabs) but very useful of course.3) A big complain: The thing is to cheap! Sorry, but I've already complained at another dev that his Katana comes in too low on the price for the value given and your plane now even beats this value. 20 bucks and that much details? Incredible! The GPS alone would be worth the price (you can edit your flight plans there, so far more options than the default gauges for example).In Euros, I've payed 15. Feels like stealing.4) (which is valid for Alan only)Thanks for including this 'after the dogfight' item in the VC. :(foralan.th.jpg

Looking at that Yaw String when in cruise (which is some sympathetic 2500ft at 65kts GS) really shows the sim pilot (which is me) how the wind plays tricks with your intended direction and the real one. Nice practise and only known from the Gliders which I haven't used for ages.That t-shirt of the front guy may get quite "thin" when using current weather. Hoping the best for him, seems like a tough guy.cruiselevel.th.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.us

Is that a new feature on this aircraft, the whole reflections on e. g. the windscreen? From knowing some of Anthony's posts he always goes for new and "impossible" stuff.I've seen some static glossy instruments on many planes, windscreen reflections too, but the interactive stuff really adds something to the scene in this open cockpit.Took the chance to go to some warmer places with my buddy and looking at Luis' rw location, this seems to be a good idea too, for the next location change.warmerride.th.jpgwarmerride2.th.jpg

Interests:Flying fun in the tropical sun!
Nice focus. Will copy it. :(

Thanks for visiting us, your pictures look very nice. And this is the kind of place where you want to use Anthony's Drifter. We have perfect CAVU every day, 80 degrees, soft trade winds, and lots of white sand and aquamarine waters.Best regards.Luis

We have perfect CAVU every day, 80 degrees, soft trade winds, and lots of white sand and aquamarine waters.
Not to mention the friendly people. :smile:Heading towards your place later, these 65kts groundspeed will eat up some time then. But the view is great.

Really nice textures everywhere. The attention to detail is fantastic; the pilot and passenger are particularly good compared to most earlier FSX add ons. Great value for money if you want low and slow.Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

g'day from the tough 'celebrity' guy in the light t-shirt, my first post here455 is my real-life aircraft, Anthony is a good mate of mine and he spent a lot of time photographing 455, not to mention the flying so he could record the sounds from the back seatall of the beta testers spent a fair bit of time getting everything spot on, i went back to Ant with lots of emails and he kept working on the numbers to get the flight dynamics perfectbtw, most Drifter pilots fly a 'glide approach' for landing, going to zero throttle from the end of the downwind leg - the Drifter is a 'high drag, low inertia' aircraft so you have to get that stick forward as soon as you chop the throttle455 lives at a small private airfield at a little place called Roadvale (you can GoggleEarth the airfield) - the wonderful thing is that Ant has also produced this 'strip for FSX, it's on his website @ Ant's Airplanes (freeware)he has also produced YBOA Boonah (the airfield near where I live - it;s freeware too) and he has done a brilliant job of that - Roadvale is about 6nm north of YBOA - look for a red Hilux ute parked at the Roadvale hangar (mine too, of course)the combination of YBOA and Roadvale will work much better if you have Orbx's FTX scenery installed, you can buy all of Oz or just the Gold section to cover this areayou will find the Rotax a bit noisy at takeoff and climb but it settles down a fair bit at cruise revs of 5,400rpmAnt has spent a fair bit of time on both the Drifter (zoom in on those air filters - Wow) and the hangar at Roadvale, it's very accuratefor those in Oz, you might have read my flightsim reviews in Aviator and Australian Flying magazinesanyway, looking forward to seeing some screenies of the Drifter from all of you rag and tube afficionados, either at Roadvale or in other locations around the worldcheers for nowBP

Great post there! Thanks for that and welcome to the forums. :smile:Yes, this t-shirt guy (=you) is tough, I took him through heavy rain before I went to the Marshall Islands and later Santo Domingo where I could see some kind of relief in his face. :biggrin:Anthony is a tough one too it seems, a perfect little aircraft there and fun to fly, even with the noise. Whatever his next project is, I'll buy it. I'm a fan, obviously.For the guys wondering, here's Anthony's freeware scenery you've mentioned. http://www.antsairpl...om/scenery.html