Hi guys, after my SB upgrade (for details see sig) I tried FSXMark11 for the first time today with an oc of 4.3 GHz. because of the fact that I´m no expert with overclocking I left the BIOS itselfe oc it. 4.3 are stable since 2 days. So I thought giving FSXMark11 a try and see what results I get. The results were worse. After some tests I got an average of 10 FPS. How can that be? Is it because of my pritty old GFX card? May this be the culprit?Another thing regarding the oc. I just tried to get 4.8 GHz but no avail. It booted and windows worked, but the heat is enormous. With BurnTest I got 95°C on all 4 cores, even with my not that bad aftermarket cooler. Currently I have it clocked at 4.5 with more or less 80°C in BurnTest and prime95. Allready a bit too high. maybe I´ll clock it down to 4.3. These setting seems to be currently the best. How do you guys keep your CPU cool even at high clock speeds?

Auto voltages are always higher than actually needed. Try lowering vcore manually until you experience instability in stress test, then up it a notch or two, and see what temps are.Otherwise I'd recommend the painstaking task of studying up on OC and do it all manually. There's tons of tutorials out there. And there may be specific tweaks and advice for your particular mobo, so look up on that too. Good luck!Bjorn

You should not overclock until you have tested your system throughly on stock clocks to begin with. Do not use Auto Tune, listen to PFL here and do your homework! It's really not that hard and we will all help you in everything you need to know.1.- What's your full load Vcore? 2.- How did you install the cooler (orientation, where did you plug the fan(s) to)? 3.- How many fans does the Mugen have installed and what speed are they running?4.- what TIM did you use, how much and how did you apply it? 5.-Do you have better temps if you remove the side cover of the case?

Steffen,There's nothing wrong with your cooling. Your temperatures are so high because Intel Burn Test (IBT) now takes advantage of the newest instruction set, AVX. A custom water cooling loop is the only thing that will keep temps down to a reasonable level - and I'm not even sure how well that will handle it. Regardless, you do not need to worry because nothing right now uses AVX and even if anything did, it's not going to stress your CPU like IBT. I would recommend prime95 for stability testing instead (use blend).If you see 95C with prime95 as well, let us know, but I'm 99.9% confident it's just the AVX with IBT.

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here

I just tried to get 4.8 GHz but no avail. It booted and windows worked, but the heat is enormous. With BurnTest I got 95°C on all 4 cores, even with my not that bad aftermarket cooler. Currently I have it clocked at 4.5 with more or less 80°C in BurnTest and prime95. How do you guys keep your CPU cool even at high clock speeds?
Hi Stephan; I'll repeat PFL said, with a little more emphasis: (just to make sure you hear us :Talking Ear Off: )NEVER, EVER, overclock with your main CPU voltage, your memory controller voltage, or your main memory voltage on "Auto". This is the absolute #1 best way to kill a proc and/or your memory dimms.When the core temperature reaches TJMax, the Intel docs say, "the processor has reached its maximum safe operating temperature." It doesn't start to thermal throttle until it hits TJMax - which can vary from one CPU to the next. Sandy Bridge CPUs seem to be set to 98C, with Intel setting the THERMTRIP thermal shutdown temperature to TJMax + 25C. Overclock like this guide indicates, here,and for some greater insight go here.Your Muggen should be fine, as the 2600K is a pretty cool proc compared to the 9xx series. I clocked to 4.2 with the same cooler as you have, but changed to water to go higher, so this 2600K just inherited it.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Thanks for your ideas so far. I´ll gonna check them as soon as I can. Does someone know a programm which shows the fan speeds?

Good catch Corey! let's hope it's just AVX@Steffen, you can try Speedfan for the chasis fans, and for the CPU fan look for Q-Fan in your BIOS (under Monitor I think)

Hi Stephan; I'll repeat PFL said, with a little more emphasis: (just to make sure you hear us :Talking Ear Off: )NEVER, EVER, overclock with your main CPU voltage, your memory controller voltage, or your main memory voltage on "Auto". This is the absolute #1 best way to kill a proc and/or your memory dimms.When the core temperature reaches TJMax, the Intel docs say, "the processor has reached its maximum safe operating temperature." It doesn't start to thermal throttle until it hits TJMax - which can vary from one CPU to the next. Sandy Bridge CPUs seem to be set to 98C, with Intel setting the THERMTRIP thermal shutdown temperature to TJMax + 25C. Overclock like this guide indicates, here,and for some greater insight go here.Your Muggen should be fine, as the 2600K is a pretty cool proc compared to the 9xx series. I clocked to 4.2 with the same cooler as you have, but changed to water to go higher, so this 2600K just inherited it.
So far I restetted everything back to default. This guide you´ve linked is relly good. I think I´lll gonna do it the way they say. In this guide they say soemthing about RAm oc and timings. I´ve seen that my RAM has an X.M.P. profile. Isn´t it better to enable this in the bios rather than setting the RAM up by hand? Currently it´s running at 1333MHZ and CL9-9-9. But with X.M.P. it´ll be CL7-9-7.They also say that I should get the newest BIOS version. I´m currently on 1506 version. Is this a good one or should I do an update? Hopefully I get it running on 4.5GHz today so that I can set up the rest of the sim tomotow.

Guest PFL

Hmmm... Learning by doing, and by errors here I guess!Don´t use XMP when manual overclocking, it tends to overvolt, and you really do not need that, again, right?BIOS update? Yes, if it fixes something that needs to be fixed, read the comments on the Asus support/download page..

Just a side note - - many current guru's, including NickN recommend using OCCT to stress test your clock as it relates more to what the system will run into using FSX than the typical Prime95 tests. If you can run OCCT for 1 hour wiht no issues and keep temps down, you should be good to go.Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Today I did some oc. With the settinmgs from the guide from http://www.clunk.org...-beginners.html but they were unstable even on 4 GHz. Every boot was followed by a BSOD, so I gave this version up. I currently try to get a 4.6 GHz oc nailed. This are my settings:AIOverclock Tuner: ManualBLCK Freq:100.00TurboRatio: Enabled (All Cores)By AllCores: 46InternalPLL OverVoltage: EnabledMem Freq:(AS PER YOUR RAM)EPU PowerSaving: Disabled Load-LineCalibration: RegularVRM Freq:Manual Set to 350PhaseControl: ExtremeDutyContorl: ExtremeCPU CurrentCapability: 100%CPUOverVoltage: Offset ModeCPU Offset:+ 0.070DRAMVoltage: (AS PER YOUR RAM)VCCSA Voltage: AutoVCCIO Voltage: AutoCPU PLL Voltage: AutoPCH Voltage: AutoCPU SpreadSpectrum: DisabledCPU Ratio:AutoIntelAdaptive Thermal Monitor: EnabledIntelVirtualization: DisabledIntelSpeedStep: EnabledTurbo Mode:EnabledCPU C1E,C3, C6: EnabledThis setting is one of the ones you adviced me to use. But I´m a bit dissapointed about the temps. With prime95 I got temperatures arround 85°C and the Vcore went up to 1.344V whereas the guy who wrote this settings says, that this should give 1.3V max and 70°C.I´m currently checking this setting with OCCT because someone said that this refleckte the FSX demand better that prime95.Update: The system passed the OCCT test without any error. The highest temp was 86°C ( I think this can be a bit lower) but it seems to be stable. Maybe I get lower temps if I scale down the Vcore but I´m a bit unknown with the offset. What do I have to set to archieve a lower vcore than 1.34V? Another question: What is the latest BIOS version?

Guest PFL

Looks OK, but try with these corrections:Load Line Calibration: Ultra High Offset Voltage: 0.020 C3, C6: Disabled CPU Power - Additional Turbo Voltage: 0.016 I don´t understand your temps, there must be something wrong... I have a cheap Coolermaster Hyper 212+ with one fan only, and my temps are max. 73 C - load with Prime, and max. 66 C in FSX...Maybe check if your cooler and paste is mounted properly?

Looks OK, but try with these corrections:Load Line Calibration: Ultra High Offset Voltage: 0.020 C3, C6: Disabled CPU Power - Additional Turbo Voltage: 0.016 I don´t understand your temps, there must be something wrong... I have a cheap Coolermaster Hyper 212+ with one fan only, and my temps are max. 73 C - load with Prime, and max. 66 C in FSX...Maybe check if your cooler and paste is mounted properly?
Thanks for the additional settings. I´ll do that tomorow. The thermal paste is "Arctic Silver 5". I´ve heared that this is a very good one, so the temps should really be a bit lower. But this is a good tip. Maybe I did too less. How much should a apply do the CPU? I´m not sure after I drowned my last CPU with tonnes of paste.

A very thin layer should be applied, difficult to quantify...I usually make a Z of the paste on the chip, then spread it evenly with a plastic gloved fingertip. Some of the applied paste will come off in the process, of course. I make sure to earth myself before touching the chip. I know some would just put some paste on the center and let the squeeze of the heat sink spread it out, but I like to see it guaranteed evenly distributed. Other methods, anyone?!Bjorn