Sign in to follow this  
Johnny767

I-Fly 737 Vs 747-400 PMDG

Hi Guys,I'm more into heavies than light airplanes and I am now un-decided if I should get the PMDG 747-400 or the 737 i-Fly. I know they are different aircrafts (and no doubt on the top quality of PMDG), but this month I only want to get one a/c and I want one that has great graphics and great functionality.-- Also, what variants como with the i-fly 737... 737-600 ?Thanks,Johnny

Both airplanes push the learning curve. Both are outstanding. I would at least try the 737NG. It comes with a 30 day guarantee.If you love it, enjoy it. Then, get the 747. If you can afford it, get them both.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Here it comes, more iFly v PMDG..... yuck.To answer your variants question - the iFly has the 600, 700, 800, 900 and BBJs. You can choose engine variations, eyerbow windows (or not), the MCP style, and a bunch of options for the displays etc. There's a lot of variation with the iFly. I don't own the 747, so can't comment there.

The PMDG 747 is the best ever aircraft for FS in my opinion. Graphically it could do with a slight face lift in the VC, but if you want systems fidelity and realism, there is no better flight sim aircraft, it's as simple as that. It's the Queen of the FS skies, and I only wish they'd do a 400D variant.The iFly comes with every NG variant apart from the 900ER although it does have the original 900 (the difference, apart from the range, is the amount of emergency doors and thus the difference in numbers of passengers the two can legally carry), plus there are some BBJs, which are the ones that have the HGS, the normal NG will get the HGS in a later patch. It's a good simulation of a 737, and graphically it is nice.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

If you are into he heavies, my question is why dont you get he MD11 then?

Box version of the PMDG 747 can be had here for $45....http://www.jr.com/aerosoft-n-a--ltd/pe/AEF_10271/

The PMDG 747 is the best ever aircraft for FS in my opinion. Graphically it could do with a slight face lift in the VC, but if you want systems fidelity and realism, there is no better flight sim aircraft, it's as simple as that. It's the Queen of the FS skies, and I only wish they'd do a 400D variant.The iFly comes with every NG variant apart from the 900ER although it does have the original 900 (the difference, apart from the range, is the amount of emergency doors and thus the difference in numbers of passengers the two can legally carry), plus there are some BBJs, which are the ones that have the HGS, the normal NG will get the HGS in a later patch. It's a good simulation of a 737, and graphically it is nice.Al
I would wait for the PMDG for comparisons sake, but if you don't want to wait, both the iFly 737 and PMDG 747 can be had for under $100 total. They both do things that the other can not so I think it would be fine to have either. If I had to pick one, it would be the PMDG 747 because it is a more exciting and intriguing aircraft in my opinion.

If you are into he heavies, my question is why dont you get he MD11 then?
Yep, I already own it; one of my fav.

The PMDG 747 is the best ever aircraft for FS in my opinion. Graphically it could do with a slight face lift in the VC, but if you want systems fidelity and realism, there is no better flight sim aircraft, it's as simple as that. It's the Queen of the FS skies, and I only wish they'd do a 400D variant.
Well they sort of did, at least visually with the ability to remove the winglets. Personally I don't understand the 400D variant. It had less power, it's fuel load was only about 5000 gal less than a regular 400 and it's MTOW was about the same, yet it's range was cut by about 75%. If they used a regular 744, it would have been much more efficient as to go the distance of a 744D would only use 1/4 the fuel, If they wanted to make a new variant, they could have just reduced the size of the fuel tank to match the different range, and probably save even more fuel, as the plane would have been lighter.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Looks wise the iFly winds hands down, but the PMDG 747 is just the greatest addon ever created. It is showing its age though graphics wise, but systems it cannot be beat.

Looks wise the iFly winds hands down, but the PMDG 747 is just the greatest addon ever created. It is showing its age though graphics wise, but systems it cannot be beat.
Before jumping on the IFLY bandwagon, there is one issue which is real annoying which many are reporting (Including myself) is the sensitive click points. The problem can be just a nuisance to ruining a flight. For example when you go to start engine 1 (Left Engine) you can inadvertently cut off APU power, which of cause cuts off all electric power. Since this appears to be a problem in the model (VC) itself, it may take time to correct, if they fix it at all. Another thing that I've noticed, is the Flight Mode Annunciators seem very blurry, relative to other complex models.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Personally if you like heavies then I would go with the PMDG MD-11, extremely well simulated, good on fps and being a new PMDG product the VC is a little nicer over the 400X.

Box version of the PMDG 747 can be had here for $45....http://www.jr.com/aerosoft-n-a--ltd/pe/AEF_10271/
I got my boxed PMDG 747-400X at London Drugs for $30 a few weeks ago while I was in Canada. I wasn't going to buy the 400X for full price but for a $30 DVD version I couldn't resist. Great plane but as mentioned because it is a early FSX product the VC isn't quite a nice (but still good don't worry) as newer payware. External looks fantastic though.A recent pic I took last week5709967021_d5c82ffc2b_b.jpg

Before jumping on the IFLY bandwagon, there is one issue which is real annoying which many are reporting (Including myself) is the sensitive click points.
When it comes to clickspots, PMDG 747 is not perfect either. Using the autopilot in VC is very annoying, because rotaries for heading, speed, vs and altitute take ages to change value. Also pressing alt selector from VC instead of rotating usually takes several tries, because the clickspot for it is so tiny. The MD-11 has been much improved when it comes to VC ergonomics. The 747 is also heavier on FPS than MD11 and has simplified night lightnig compared to this plane.On the other hand you get great aircraft, great systems simulation and very complete documentation. Can't comment on the iFly as I don't have it.
External looks fantastic though.
Yes, in my opinion, 747 has the best external textures from all PMDG planes for FSX.

Mike Krawczyk

A2A Simulations

The Queen still reigns in my book. Solid performer. Not to slight iFly/PMDG 737 efforts, I'm biased as I love 747s.

If you want a heavy jet I would suggest either the PMDG MD-11 (my favorite heavy) or the Level-D 767. The PMDG 747 is a bit of a framerate hog.The iFly 737 comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee in case you dislike it for some reason. It has excellent documentation and a very friendly support forum in case you have trouble.