Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

Magnetic variation updates for FS9 and FSX!

Excellent detective work Diego!   I was going crazy trying to figure out why the link wasn't working, I'll remember this next time I see a webpage link act screwy on me.

• Upvote 1

Excellent detective work Diego!   I was going crazy trying to figure out why the link wasn't working, I'll remember this next time I see a webpage link act screwy on me.

Yeah, weird that it blocked that site. Under the "Protection" tab, tick "Show tooltip balloon when malicious website is blocked." for it to show a popup every time it blocks a site (I had this on, I just didn't see it for some reason...  :Doh:). I'll see what I can do to report this false positive.

This is a massive 'FS gotcha'

IRL the LOC for RWY 22R @ JFK is OFFSET & the Final Approach Course (FAC) crosses the Extended RWY Centreline 2152ft from the threshold.

The charted RWY HDG is 225 degrees, the charted FAC for the LOC is 222 degrees.

The MAGDEC file DOES NOT affect the position or the course of ANY NAVAIDs within the base FSX files or the same in any addon scenery layer a user installs above the base FSX layer.

Your picture shows you lines up on the extended RWY centreline with the LOC indication on the PFD offset to the right - as it should be.

Another common 'FS Gotcha' is your positioning of the MCP SPEED BUG right over the FMC computed VREF...under normal circumstances YOU the pilot add 5 kts to the FMC computed VREF to obtain your VAPP or Target Speed (a very relevant topic in itself ATM). Couple this with being under the Glide Slope indicator with Flap 40 set puts you behind the 'energy curve' (again a very relevant topic in itself ATM). 'Mr Boeing' was very clever in that regarding the PFD SPD Tape if you place the base of the magenta SPD BUG on the top of the green FMC computed VREF numbers you instantly have the 5 knots additive as used under normal conditions.

The Manuals that come with the product give more detail on additives to the FMC computed VREF due to windy/gusty conditions.

Looks like you are right. I tested ILS 22L and also various approaches at KATL and they all worked great. Thanks for explaining the mistakes and proper approach procedure Steve!

Are these files not working for anyone else? I recently did a fresh FSX after a CPU upgrade and I can't get the magdec update to work. Neither the 2010 or 2013 updates align the purple path with the extended runway centerline. I've used these before and it's worked perfectly so I have no idea what's wrong. 

I have both the 2013 MagVar and World Navaids updates installed but still on some airports the approach waypoints are not lined up with the extended runway centerline on the ND. The centerline seems to be wrong however, the waypoints always seem to be spot-on compared to the localizer but the extended runway centerline is always often a degree or two off it seems. One of the worst cases for me is KLAX. Final approach heading is 270/090 but the extended runway centerline is always a few degrees off there. 

I have both the 2013 MagVar and World Navaids updates installed but still on some airports the approach waypoints are not lined up with the extended runway centerline on the ND. The centerline seems to be wrong however, the waypoints always seem to be spot-on compared to the localizer but the extended runway centerline is always often a degree or two off it seems. One of the worst cases for me is KLAX. Final approach heading is 270/090 but the extended runway centerline is always a few degrees off there. 

Hi

Use the 2010 file for USA airports and check that the Airport AFCAD file has the correct VAR set which is 12.8E under 2010 .. on approach the final app track should be 250,.. some Add on NDs display TRACK north or HEADING north ... if yours has  HEADING north then it takes into acount the wind so the runway heading is 250 but you could be heading 245 due wind but tracking 250 ... i have TRACK north selected on my 737 ND .

Rich

ugcx_banner.png

So I know I am hashing an old topic but I was having some problems with the MD-11 which if I look at ye ND it showed I was not aligned with the runway at LAX rw25r or what ever runway. Even had problems on approach to SLC same AC. Tried the flight1 reg utility but still no alignment possible. I have the new magdec.bgl file so I followed the advise of another user from the 737 forum. Not going into a whole lot of detail but look in that forum towards the bottom and follow the instructions on page 3. Worked great

Sorry that should be the pmdg 747 forum

Thanks for this great find!

I wanted some elaboration if this file has any relation to the "FIX FSX LOC CRS" option on the NGX and the 777?

Ok so I use navigraph's airac cycles and everything seems to line up just fine (I think), does the data in their updates account for this outdated magnetic variation data, making this update essentially a downgrade, or do I just not notice it and this update will make their airac cycles more accurate?

No, Navigraph data comes directly from the real world AIRAC - their AIRACs are as accurate as any airline's; it's FS and dated sceneries that have issues.

DJ

Hello guys. Thanks for the link by the way Tabs, I was Googling for this and came across the exact same link right before searching here. I have some questions. Please correct me if I'm wrong as well:

According to what I read, runway designations (i.e. 01-19) have a range, outside of which runway designations should be changed. In this example, it would be 005º - 014º for runway 01, and 185º - 194º for runway 19. I also read that this change is not always done immediately when a runway's magnetic direction goes offset just 1 degree out of said range.

Two of my local airport's are a perfect example: my hometown airport's magnetic direction just moved to 015º - 195º when AIRAC 1413 went effective (that's 1 degree out of the range), but runway designations remained 01-19. In the other hand, for our second biggest airport (SKRG)'s runways (18-36), magnetic direction moved to 186º - 006º; that's 2 degrees out of range. For this airport runway desigations WERE changed, and now they're 01-19.

At first I was wondering if by upgrading the .bgl file designations would be changed automatically in FSX if runways went out of range, but that doesn't make any sense because of the above exposed reasons, and it wouldn't be reflected on add-on sceneries (for those runway markings are custom-made by the addon developer, no?)

Then here comes my question: when this happens in the real world, how can runway designations be updated in FSX? One option of course, is that if it's an addon scenery, developer would normally publish an update. But when it's a default scenery, or the developer doesn't publish any update, what can be done in that case? Thanks!