Sign in to follow this  
dave1812

HIgh CPU usage questions

I've got a quad core i7. FSX runs decently, but I see the core is running 100%I googled and noticed a comment about setting jobscheduler to 14 in the fsx.cfg file. I did that.Now I've got all cores maxed out. Is that a PROBLEM, or is that a GOOD THING??This is what I added to the bottom of fsx.cfg: [JOBSCHEDULER]AffinityMask=14

I've got a quad core i7. FSX runs decently, but I see the core is running 100%I googled and noticed a comment about setting jobscheduler to 14 in the fsx.cfg file. I did that.Now I've got all cores maxed out. Is that a PROBLEM, or is that a GOOD THING??This is what I added to the bottom of fsx.cfg: [JOBSCHEDULER]AffinityMask=14
High CPU usage is normal..FSX will use whatever CPU power you give it... especially if you have fps set to unlimited.If you watch the four cores in Windows taskmanager, you'll see that one coreis running at 100% all the time, whereas the other cores will go to low usageas long as there is no scenery to be loaded (or refreshed, every minute or soeven if you are sitting still).AM=14 simply tells FSX not to use Core0, but only the last three cores.

Bert

High CPU usage is normal..FSX will use whatever CPU power you give it... especially if you have fps set to unlimited.If you watch the four cores in Windows taskmanager, you'll see that one coreis running at 100% all the time, whereas the other cores will go to low usageas long as there is no scenery to be loaded (or refreshed, every minute or soeven if you are sitting still).AM=14 simply tells FSX not to use Core0, but only the last three cores.
Thanks, Bert. Should I be using the "14" option? I just started FSX with Resource Monitor open, and see what you mean--core O isn't getting hit by FSX. But I don't know whats the best way to deal with it.

Thanks, Bert. Should I be using the "14" option? I just started FSX with Resource Monitor open, and see what you mean--core O isn't getting hit by FSX. But I don't know whats the best way to deal with it.
It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish...AM=15 has all 4 cores active, but can have micro-stutters because of thread collisionsAM=14 has Core0 free, so it can run OS stuff etc without interfering with FSXAM=12 only uses the last two cores for FSX, so it is very smooth, but the scenery loading capacity is somewhat reducedI run with fps locked at 30 in FSX, and with AM=12 which gives me a very smooth FSX experience... others swear by AM=14..Try it and see what works for you!

Bert

It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish...AM=15 has all 4 cores active, but can have micro-stutters because of thread collisionsAM=14 has Core0 free, so it can run OS stuff etc without interfering with FSXAM=12 only uses the last two cores for FSX, so it is very smooth, but the scenery loading capacity is somewhat reducedI run with fps locked at 30 in FSX, and with AM=12 which gives me a very smooth FSX experience... others swear by AM=14..Try it and see what works for you!
Super! Thanks Bert, for the extra info on what the settings are for, as I AM getting some stuttering both before and after enabling "14". I'll give 12 a shot.

Super! Thanks Bert, for the extra info on what the settings are for, as I AM getting some stuttering both before and after enabling "14". I'll give 12 a shot.
WOW!!! I just set it to "12" and flew from Oakland to SF. Not ONE stutter using VC and FR limit of 54. FR's ran right at 30-34 most everywhere and it was 100% SMOOTH!! Dang! You are my hero Bert!That on a laptop with a 4770 Radeon chip, running at 1366 x 768. Later on I'll switch back to the 1920 monitor and see what FR I get. Thanks again! I LOVE FSX now! I was so afraid it was going to be herky jerky, unlike my FS9 installation which runs super smooth at 60 FPS.