Sign in to follow this  
fourpoints37

FSX Keyboard problem

I have encountered a strange problem. First I should say that I run FSX and have add-ons, including aircraft and utilities. I was cleaning up(deleting) some old files on my system and afterwords noticed that when I am in FSX my keyboard commands wll only work once and then nothing. It doesn't matter which command I use the first time it will work, then nothing. While in the sim. I can go to options/controls and re-assign any key, even though it is already assigned and when I close out, again I can use any key one time and then nothing works after that. If I shut down and reopen, I get the same thing. I should also say that the keyboard works fine outside of FSX.I've tryed deleting FSX.cfg, and restarting, nothing. I have checked the "standard.xml" file and compared it to my laptop, they are the same.Switched keyboard over to the laptop and it worked fine there. I deleted the files I sent to the recycle bin before noticing a problem. I also completely removed FSX and reloaded everything and yes you guessed it, the same thing. Noticed that the problem seems to only apply to single letter commands, like say "landing gear " which is "G", if I go in and change it to "Shift/G" it will work. At my witts end with this problem and was wondering if anyone could possibly know how to fix this problem. Thank you in advance if anyone knows whats wrong and can help.

Shot in the dark...........If you are using a USB keyboard, try plugging it into a different USB port.

Shot in the dark...........If you are using a USB keyboard, try plugging it into a different USB port.
Opa thanks for the advice. My keyboard and mouse are wireless, but I did change ports and nothing changed

Is it possible to try windows Restore to an earlier point?Peter Sydney Australia

One from the wild &@($* guess school of thought: You could try turning on keyboard 'easy access' (by holding shift down for more than eight seconds if I recall correctly) and then turning it off again. Or changing the keyboard language in the Control Panel, see if that unjams something.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I am having they same damn issue it just started out of the blueabout a week ago anybody have any fixes for this
No havn't resolved this yet. Have had some good advice, but nothing seems to work. There seems to be a setting somewhere that is only allowing macros to work inside FSX. Just keep researching and trying different crap and if I fix it I will post here. Thanks to everyone who has tryed to help.

Unfortunately I am having similar problems and, like you, have no solution. I sort of assumed that one of the recent add-ons I installed had corrupted whatever file controls the standard keyboard. I went in and deleted every add-on going back to before the problem started but no joy.Since several people have hit the same issue recently, I suspect that there was a faulty file (or virus!!) in a download.Does anyone know the name of the standard keyboard config file? It should be on the original installation discs so if I can identify the file I could try to delete and replace.All suggestions welcome!!

Unfortunately I am having similar problems and, like you, have no solution. I sort of assumed that one of the recent add-ons I installed had corrupted whatever file controls the standard keyboard. I went in and deleted every add-on going back to before the problem started but no joy.Since several people have hit the same issue recently, I suspect that there was a faulty file (or virus!!) in a download.Does anyone know the name of the standard keyboard config file? It should be on the original installation discs so if I can identify the file I could try to delete and replace.All suggestions welcome!!
Some additional information:I found Standard.xml on my installation disc. That file is 170kb - the Standard in my FSX installation was only 30kb. So I deleted the one in FSX and replaced it with the original. I started FSX and the keyboard worked fine - until about the 3rd keystroke, then random keyboard errors began. Pressing 'p" for pause worked - but then pressing it again to un-pause would not work. Pressing "g" raised the gear - pressing it again did nothing for about 60 seconds then the gear lowered but other keys failed. I closed FSX down and looked at Standard.xml again and it had grown to 180kb. Something is overwriting and modifying the file!Conclusions:1. Too many people are having the same issue. See similar comments on the forum in FlightSim.com2. Someone has uploaded a faulty and/or malicious file3. The bad file is probably not in FSX itself as others have seen it recur after re-installing FSX, though the problem seems to only affect FSX3. Someone is getting a lot of laughs at us poor dummies who can't find the solution!!!!Help!

Guest jahman
Have you checked the batteries?
Good point!Cheers,- jahman.

I also am having a keyboard corruption within FSX and suspect virus from a recent download of Lear45 panel.Tried most of the standard fixes, reinstalles and deletions, but also not getting the desired results.I would appreciate any input , if there is any, when smarter ppl think this one through.dcramer350

Well everyone I am glad to announce that the problem is with "Comcast's" new "Constant Guard". It scrambles all of your keyboard commands while online and in FSX or FS9. So dump that program out of your computer and restart and you will be a happy camper again. You can thank a fellow by the name of "34Kansas" who posted this fix on another site. I thank all that tried to help me during this crisis (well it was for me) , and hope everyone gets this message so they can fix as well

You are absolutely correct. I killed Constant Guard and rebuilt my standard.xml and FSX now works again.A HUGE THANK YOU to fourpoints37 for posting here and to 34kansas who found the fix and posted it to FlightSim.And don't worry, the word "crisis" is not an exaggeration. After putting a gazzilion hours (and too many $$$) into customizing my FSX and more hours than I care to admit FSXing around, I was experiencing withdrawal symptoms. Maybe a message there?Thanks again!