Sign in to follow this  
EVA 744

manual reversion

That's correct. One of the reasons the controls change a lot on manual reversion is that the gearing of the elevator tabs is altered to reduce their deflection. This is because of the way the system works differently to move the control surface in manual reversion mode, that change also explains the control lag: Instead of smoothly moving the elevator directly, in manual reversion, the power control unit actuator for the elevator has to travel all the way to the stops before it then operates the elevator, the time it takes to do that is apparently what makes the yoke feel sloppy and gives it a big dead zone, and why inputs have to be anticipated more than when the hydraulics are doing things. That also explains why there is often a need to alter the elevator trim massively if the hydraulics are lost.You could theoretically simulate all of that (apart from the actual pressure needed to move the thing) by screwing around with your joystick setting dead zones and sensitivities. I guess all this stuff is for the real propeller-heads, but it will at least be fun if you can play around with that stuff in PMDG's FSX NG via the actual systems in the VC. Perhaps they will include a bottle full of various smelly lubricants and JP that you can tip over yourself so that you can simulate the smells from having done a walkaround too :( Al
This is one thing you DEFINITELY do not want to do in manual reversion. VERY small trim changes is all you want.JackColwill

This is one thing you DEFINITELY do not want to do in manual reversion. VERY small trim changes is all you want.JackColwill
Interesting. What about landing flare? Would you eventually trim aft before touchdown in order to assist flare? Also I found interesting the standby Y/D will actually assist aileron control by moving the rudder during complete hyd loss depending on control column input (not rudder pedal!), wasn't quite aware of that.sig.gif

Well put it this way, your landing wont be a pretty one in the firat place. Try and establish a 3 degree slope and plant it on. Of course you will pull ever so slightly back on the yoke to establish a bit of a flare. Boeings dont mind firm landings. When i fly in the simulator on manual reversion i use thrust to control my pitch moreso than elevator. You would be suprised how small thrust changes can control your pitch with those low slung engines. As well, if i am making small heading adjustments i just ever so slight squeeze the rudder pedals.JackColwill

Boeings dont mind firm landings. When i fly in the simulator on manual reversion i use thrust to control my pitch moreso than elevator. You would be suprised how small thrust changes can control your pitch with those low slung engines.JackColwill
True. That's why Boeings are loved dearly. :( I believe this is something not simulated enough on most add on aircraft. Pitch changes with power adjustments. This is easy to correct with a burst of trim but I've noticed most add ons downplaying this behavior. One that sticks out in my mind as believable is the Feelthere ERJ V2. Love that plane.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

We've invented something we've been calling "fly-by-software" around the virtual office here... essentially all joystick commands to the NGX are intercepted before reaching FSX - we can modify them and cause whatever effect we want this way - that's how we're able to simulate manual reversion, failures to the flight control system etc. It really is the same way that for instance an Airbus or a fighter jet has a computer that sits between the flight controls and the control surfaces augmenting the inputs. Only in our case, we're using that sort of idea to make the control inputs variable and realistic - the controls actually respond differently at slow vs. high airspeeds, situations like manual reversion of failures etc. It's really neat and one of those things that's going to set this apart from a lot of other addons.
That's just awesome.

We've invented something we've been calling "fly-by-software" around the virtual office here... essentially all joystick commands to the NGX are intercepted before reaching FSX - we can modify them and cause whatever effect we want this way...
Please confirm that you have modeled the spool up time of the engines as well. :( Bozhan

Please confirm that you have modeled the spool up time of the engines as well. :( Bozhan
I doubt that of all things that they would've forgotten this biggrin.gif

I am thinking that manual reversion would be like a car losing its power steering, and you have to use much more force than you are used to steer the car. I've driven a few cars without power steering, and the difference with cars with the power assist is night and day, and I'd imagine its the same with aircraft systems and manual reversion!

To the best that we can given the limitation of the FSX engine model - it's well known that it doesn't accelerate as fast as the real life ones do. Nothing can really be done here past a certain point, this is part of what makes a jet engine a jet engine in FSX.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

To the best that we can given the limitation of the FSX engine model - it's well known that it doesn't accelerate as fast as the real life ones do. Nothing can really be done here past a certain point, this is part of what makes a jet engine a jet engine in FSX.
Fair enough, hopefully the new MS Flight will improve these things..Bozhan

Bozhan-If it interests you: We are quality checking the simulation against the same process that the manufacturer and customer airlines use to verify every system and operation of the airplane before it gets flown the first time, and before it gets put into revenue service with an airline.The engine spool times in the NGX meet the minimum acceptance standards for the airplane's type certificate. Just barely- which is a shame- but it DOES meet them.We have tried every trick imaginable to convince FSX to let us control the engine acceleration rates, but unfortunately that part of FSX is locked down pretty tight...For those of you who were interested in manual reversion: I've flown a few approaches with the airplane in reversion and I promise that you will feel quite proud of yourself for having landed the airplane safely in manual reversion! It takes a significant amount of time and effort to get the airplane to the bank/pitch position you desire when you are using nothing by brute force... This mode is a significant challenge!On the topic of "how to fly with broken stuff:" How many of you know that the NGX has three different flap deployment speeds? Not many, I'm guessing- but the real airplane does... and so does the NGX. :( Anyone care to hazard a guess as to how you would see them? I'll give you the first one: Normal operations.Okay: discuss!(I've always wanted to say that... LOL)

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

I guess one of the other to Speeds are when facing an dual engine loss/gliding procedure?Or maybe hydraurlic loss? Just the things which come to my mind, not htat I am an expert :(

Not sure if that's where you're heading but ALTN flaps is definitely slower than normal hyd operation. But in case you mean three different speeds during all normal operation then I wouldn't know. Sorry bout the missing sig too in this post as I'm on a mobile device with limited capabilities atm.

Of course it is. You'll notice a big change in the handling of the aircraft. A At lower speeds you even get some very basic yaw dumping by interconnecting the elevators with the rudder movement. As for the rudder movement in case oh HYD failure you use the standby hydraulic system which is modeled to the last detail.
We've invented something we've been calling "fly-by-software" around the virtual office here... essentially all joystick commands to the NGX are intercepted before reaching FSX - we can modify them and cause whatever effect we want this way - that's how we're able to simulate manual reversion, failures to the flight control system etc. It really is the same way that for instance an Airbus or a fighter jet has a computer that sits between the flight controls and the control surfaces augmenting the inputs. Only in our case, we're using that sort of idea to make the control inputs variable and realistic - the controls actually respond differently at slow vs. high airspeeds, situations like manual reversion of failures etc. It's really neat and one of those things that's going to set this apart from a lot of other addons.
WOW

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

I'm gonna have to fly it sometime in reversion. Sounds interesting, and I'm intrigued by how it will translate through the sim. But I think I should learn how to fly normal procedures first LOLThank-you (in no order of importance!) Robert, Vin, Ryan, Jason, Dr. Vaos, Alex and anyone else who I'm forgetting ( sorry!) for giving life to what will clearly be the standout release in PC Flight sim history.I think I can see the approach lights through the fog!