Sign in to follow this  
RickSinGA

Running FSX across 2 computers

I have read, somewhere, that it is possible to run FSX across at least two computers. I recently added most of the Saitek Pro Flight series panels etc and my system took a really large FPS hit. I run 13 Saitek USB devices and 4 monitors, 3 on TH2Go de.I do have another cpmputer that could take up some of the load if this is possible,Any direction to similar threads and or how too's would be a big help.ThanksRick S.

What exactly are you trying to do or move over to the other computer? The FSUIPC/WideFS is not that hard to set up nor that expensive(IMO). There is SimConnect that is part of FSX, but I'm not sure all of what can be done remotely via that route. FSUIPC has been the way to go for many years now. With the TH2Go, I'm assuming you will have your views/panels displayed across them. So, the other computer could then be used to run weather and some other add ons. I think we'd need to know more at this point about what you have and what your goal is.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

What exactly are you trying to do or move over to the other computer? The FSUIPC/WideFS is not that hard to set up nor that expensive(IMO). There is SimConnect that is part of FSX, but I'm not sure all of what can be done remotely via that route. FSUIPC has been the way to go for many years now. With the TH2Go, I'm assuming you will have your views/panels displayed across them. So, the other computer could then be used to run weather and some other add ons. I think we'd need to know more at this point about what you have and what your goal is.
Sorry if I am not clear, not sure exactly what is do-able.I typically fly GA with the TH2Go panels for my windscreen and use my 46" W/S for my Garmin and other assorted digital panels etc. I tweaked my system using Nick's setup outline and the system ran great from a low of around20 FPS in a commercial area and higher at elevation. Very smooth.After adding 6 Saitek Instrument panels and BIP yesterday I have taken a large hit in FPS, still do-able but with some screen jerkiness and a few tears at times in congested areas flying low.I was hoping there was a way to use the other computer, already on my desk, that could take some of the processing or video load. I would love to be able to add another smaller screen to put down low for my Garmin type instruments.Is this possible? Thanks againRick S.

Hi,Everything directly from FSX must be run on the FSX computer or attached to the FSX computer.

Hi,Everything directly from FSX must be run on the FSX computer or attached to the FSX computer.
Bummer, I must have mis-read or not understood what I saw.ThanksRick S.

Actually, you can use WidevieW to run multiple applications of FSX. Use one as the server that connects all of your interfaces but has the out of cockpit graphics set to low. Then run your TH2GO on the client computer for the scenery stuff and set the sliders accordingly. I'm using that approach with a twist. Three clients projecting a seamless left/center/right projected image on a curved screen for a full 180 degree wrap around effect on the flightdeck.With FS9 the clouds and traffic are not synchronized so it was unsatisfactory. With FSX, if you also use WideTraffic, the AI as well as the clouds synchronize.Cheers

Guest jahman
Thanks Kevin but that all looks Greek to me!
With 13 Saitek devices and 4 monitors, your best bet is to learn greek a.s.a.p.!Dive into FSUIPC, WideView, etc. and in the long-run you will save time.Cheers,- jahman.

With 13 Saitek devices and 4 monitors, your best bet is to learn greek a.s.a.p.!Dive into FSUIPC, WideView, etc. and in the long-run you will save time.Cheers,- jahman.
Thanks, sounds like I need to find if Rossetta Stone does Greek!Rick S.

I might be asking this question wrong. If I am running several computers in a local network, can I offload any of my USB devices to a networked computer? I believe WidevieW and FSUIPC would be needed if I get your gist correctly. Also, what about weather programs like REX's WAsys etc?I am getting into trouble with FPS landing at major airports (9 and 10 at times; mostly better but spikey). I know, turn down some candy; but I have a sweet tooth.ThanksRick S.

Guest jahman
Thanks, sounds like I need to find if Rossetta Stone does Greek!Rick S.
In the context of FSX the Rosetta Stone is FSUIPC4!Master FSUIPC4 and you will be able to control FSX at will! :Big Grin:Cheers,- jahman.

In the context of FSX the Rosetta Stone is FSUIPC4!Master FSUIPC4 and you will be able to control FSX at will! :Big Grin:Cheers,- jahman.
I don't mean to beat this to death jahman, but does that mean that what I suggest is possible with FSUIPC4? And if that is so; will that significantly improve my FSX performance? ThanksRick S.

I think you should be able to move at least the Saitek instrument panels to your second computer, using SimConnect, so you shouldn't have to buy anything extra to move those. In the manual I downloaded from Saitek's website (here) there are instructions of what you need to do on page 3 (in the PDF, page 5 in the printed version). I think you need the FSX SDK from FSX Deluxe (or Gold) in order to get the SimConnect.msi file mentioned.If any programs use SimConnect you should be able to install them on your other computer as well after setting this up. I guess most programs written for FSX use SimConnect, but FS9 programs would use FSUIPC, in which case you would need WideFS (and a registered FSUIPC) to run the programs from your other computer.

Guest jahman
Time to head for the FSUIPC Forum, download the documentation (Page 15 of thedocument "FSUIPC4 for Advanced Users.pdf" directly applies) and see for yourself.FSUIPC4 is incredibly powerful so it is not trivial to work with until you getthe hang of it (but once you do, it is trivial), so you might want to getstarted with a simple setup using the SimSamurai Tutorial. Eventually when yougrow confident you will even be able to use your Saitek hardware buttonsand switches (e.g. if you own GoFlight modules) to control buttons andswitches on complex aircraft like the B-17 or the B-377 from A2A Accu-Simby writing very simple macros in the LUA Language. See the "FSUIPC4 LuaLibrary.pdf" and FSUIPC4 Lua Plug-Ins.pdf" documents. Heck, with Lua youcan now even open an Internet connection (a "TCP/IP Socket") fromínside FSX to connect with a server anywhere, Lua is that powerful.Finally, with FSUIPC4 all your control assignments (axes, buttons, switches,keystrokes) can change automatically depending on the aircraft you load, anincredible boon. So me, I run FSX with no hardware assignments at all (zero,zilch, nada) from inside FSX and do all my assignments in FSUIPC4. Neverlooked back!IMHO with a complex setup like yours you will eventually, one way or another,end-up running FSUIPC4 with WideFS Client, so the earlier you dive-in the lesstime and effort you will be wasting in the long run.Cheers.- jahman.