Sign in to follow this  
northridge

Bringing RC4 into the new Millenium

Seeing as "RC5" is still just a long-awaited dream is most users heads, is there any way to update the "Airline or Company Name" list to include more recent airlines and exclude long-defunct ones.?

For those airlines that were acquired or merged that use existing radio call signs the data file c4.csv in your rcv4\data folder can be edited in notepad or wordpad since those radio call sign .wav files already exist. You must use a text editor and not a spreadsheet. To prevent the need for a reinstall make a copy of c4.csv in another folder somewhere as a backup.Here's an example from c4.csv:CACTUS,CACTUS,America West Airlines Inc - USA,0, 0 was acquired by US Airways:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America_West_Airlines see paragraph four.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_AirwaysHere is the current c4.csv line for US Airways;US AIR,US AIR,US Airways Inc - USA,0, 0What is returned to RC for AI is from the aircraft.cfg:atc_airline=Citrus as an example for Airtran models/paints where Citrus in that radio call.So in this case the easiest change might be:US AIR,US AIR,US Airways Inc - USA,0, 0 to CACTUS,CACTUS,US Airways Inc - USA,0, 0 and delete the line:CACTUS,CACTUS,America West Airlines Inc - USA,0, 0Make sure you do not add any spaces or extra line formatting characters and preserve existing spaces as in the last field following the comma.In some cases there are lines like these in this file in a lower section of it such as:AIRTRAN,CITRUS,,0, 0 AIRTRAN AIRWAYS,CITRUS,,0, 0 which have to do with AI. Note the third field is ,, where in other lines that is the description displayed when you choose your airline or company name in RC General options and the blank field indicates it is there for AI chatter.The reason for the duplicate lines above is the variation of AI calls returned for the same airline - I think - so if you search c4.csv again for an existing radio call you might find these extra sets to modify.Finally there is a number at the top of the file:'4025If you delete a line reduce this by one so in the example '4025 becomes '4024.Remember to keep that safe copy of c4.csv in case of errors in editing it. If you don't the only way to restore it is a reinstall.Where .wav files do not exist for radio call you will get a phonetic alphabet call out.The expert here is team member Subs and he may have some comments.If you want to record a bunch of .wav files to add you will need to place each new .wav file in the appropriate winwood folder and modify the script folders which relate the textual information to the name of the .wav file - a lot of work.So you can do some updating but not all you need.You may have to edit your aircraft.cfg files under their appropriate fightsim() section as well. If you have modified AI files then just see if you can update the RC data.

Finally there is a number at the top of the file:'4025If you delete a line reduce this by one so in the example '4025 becomes '4024.
Yes as Ron says, there are ways to include and exclude certain airlines as required. But I would suggest changing the atc airline= line in your aircraft.cfg first as the preferred method as it is much easier to undo what you changed if you have to. The America West / US Air / CACTUS is a good example of this. It's far easier to change the US Air atc airline= line to CACTUS than to change RC's data file.Also be aware of recording your own callsign wavs as an addition or substitution to the exsisting set as your own voice will sound different to the original recorders. If you're ok with that, have fun recording any updates that you may wish to make.One note about what Ron said - don't change the first line of '4025 to anything else. Keep it as '4025 regardless of how many lines you take out or add.I also cannot stress enough the importance of making a backup copy before modifying. Trust me, I've spent days at a time trying to work out where a extra comma is or where it shouldn't be. One character out and RC can misbehave :)Subs

Still confused. I want to use the callsign "Dan Air" - could you please provide step-by-step instructions on how to do that. My aircraft.cfg is already setup with that callsign, RC ignores it. I added a line to the C4.csv file patterned after the others, and RC shows a callsign of (D)an Air, which it reads back as "Delta". Do I have to record a WAV, if so, where are the WAV files located?

Still confused. I want to use the callsign "Dan Air" - could you please provide step-by-step instructions on how to do that. My aircraft.cfg is already setup with that callsign, RC ignores it. I added a line to the C4.csv file patterned after the others, and RC shows a callsign of (D)an Air, which it reads back as "Delta". Do I have to record a WAV, if so, where are the WAV files located?
DAN AIR isn't an airline was included in v4, and it is a little complicated to add it now. But if you want to, yes, you'll have to record the DAN AIR callsign yourself with a mic. Name the wav "Dan Air.wav" and it has to be recorded/saved as single channel 8-bit PCM 11025Hz. Now copy that file into all folders between (inclusive):..\RCv4\winwood\0 to ..\RCv4\winwood\22and..\RCv4\winwood\50 to ..\RCv4\winwood\63and..\RCv4\winwood\84 to ..\RCv4\winwood\95.Now create a plain text file called DAN AIR.txt and make the contents of it a single line at the top that says DAN AIR. Copy this DAN AIR.txt file into:..\RCv43\script\controllerscripts and ..\RCv43\script\pilotscripts.And then just to verify, the line you should have added (alphabetical order) into c4.csv is:DAN AIR,DAN AIR,Dan Air,0, 0 See how that goes. Make backups etc every step of the way. And just a word of warning before you put the effort in - whenever you have the original recorder's voices mixed in with your own it isn't going to sound very good because of the mix-n-match. But if you don't mind, go for it :)Subs

FYI;Dan Air (UK call sign Dan Air)ceased operations in 1992 as a separate airline being absorbed into British Airways:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan-AirDanAir (Denmark) ceased operations in 1995. I don't have a call sign for that defunct airline:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DanairThat's why they are not in RC being not in the active IACO airline call sign list at the time it was developed, at least RC3.