Sign in to follow this  
SpiritFlyer

BIOS Settings Examples Displayed

Need a bit of help here and in a bit of a rush.A friend has just dropped off his computer for a couple of days for me to try to get it running better in FSX. It's a stock clocked i7 950 on an MSI X58 Pro MB (which I am unfamiliar with), with 12g of 1600MHz ram and an ATI 5870 GPU. What I really need is someone to post step by step pictures of their MSI X58 BIOS settings for a stable OC. I would like to take this somewheres around 170x23 or so in a stable OC. Need help fast so it is done up nice and pretty before he comes to pick it back up on Saturday.Thanks guys.Kind regards,

Prime 95 knocked it out heat wise anything over 3.35GHz. If he wants a new cooler on there I think he can have 4.0Gz and a bit more. But for now it has hit the 99C wall. It is so much fun setting up machines and testing that I literally forgot to breathe sometimes. :) Got it bad, huh?Kind regards,

99ºC?!?!?!?!? Shocked.gifI guess it's the stock cooler. Those 130W chips won't OC on the stock cooler.Are temps ok even on stock clocks? If it hits 99C at 3.35 might be running too hot even with no OC

It's the heatsink. I am going to recommend an H80 for him. Can't do much the way it is, but every bit counts, so it is running quite good at 3.35Ghz for now. Hardware problems can only be solved by hardware solutions. The rest doesn't matter much when the wall is reached so early.Kind regards,

So, here are my settings, I thought I'd contribute here too, maybe someone finds something usefull here.Relevant pages to stability and overclocking:Main.jpgAI1.jpgAI2.jpgAI3.jpgCPU-Conf1.jpgCPU-Conf2.jpgAPM.jpgCPU-PM.jpg

Edited by Kosta

Hmm, after flying a bit with the NGX it seems that I´ll have top get a bit higher than 4.2 GHz. Thanks for your settings, I´ll take them into consideration for oc.Btw. what´s C3 and C6? I know that C1E is speedstep but the others I don´t know. And another thing: Should I use the XMP RAM profile?

C3 and C6 are powersaving functions. But tell you the truth, I have been unable to identify the difference - if I enable or disable it, I can still S3 sleep normally, and power usage is in both 0.0 on my meter (cheap one, but nevertheless, I don't think power usage is by 50watt off).Anyway, I have them disabled, I think I have less problems that way.XMP: definitely.

Edited by Kosta

http://www.intel.com...rofile-xmp.htmlBut possibly to explain better (though googling is probably going to provide better info): XMP is a memory profile saved in the memory module for extreme performance. Edited by Kosta

Word Not Allowed, I just used your setting for the offset voltage and I got at 4,5GHz 1,52V and very high temparatures. How do I have to set the offset to get a lower Vcore?!

Word Not Allowed, I just used your setting for the offset voltage and I got at 4,5GHz 1,52V and very high temparatures. How do I have to set the offset to get a lower Vcore?!
OMG, LOL. Steffen: you can't just go setting my settings without knowing what's behind! I run this with a custom made watercooling setup! My temps don't rise above 65 in allday use, even with heavy use of FSX, not nearly 65c! I do get 73c when on Prime95 for quite a while...Just lower the offset, say to 1.5 or 1.4, depending what's stable. But I wouldn't just go setting multi 50x like that. Edited by Kosta

Well, after that first test I've set the offset to 0.080 as it's just a bit lower than my 4.2 setting at 0,070. It'll give me in an quick 10 min OCCT test a max Vcore of arround 1,44 - 1,424V with the temps reaching in spikes 87c. A bit too high for my gust. I'll try lowering the offset a bit and see what it'll does. Hopefully the volts and the temparatures go a bit down. On my 4,2 GHz setting the Vcore was about 1,328V and the temps between 70 and 73c.

87c is definitely not an area where I'd want my CPU.You are running with HT off, right? And what freq?

87c is definitely not an area where I'd want my CPU.You are running with HT off, right? And what freq?
As it´s an i5-2500K it doesn´t support HT, so it´s obviously off. :smile:Uh, I forgot to mention that I´m trying to get it running at 4,5 GHz. I did get it running at 4,6 GHz with my 4.2 GHz settings but for some reason the system crashed on an test with these setting after I upgraded my PSU from 420 to 750W (I had the 4,6 Ghz successfully running with the lower PSU but after installing the new one I got an BSOD and reverted to 4.2 GHz).Btw. i don´t think I´ll ever see that much CPU utilisation and heat while flying FSX cause only one (periodically 3) cores are used and they don´t run 100% all of the time. I remember that I had only 66°c with 4.2 in FSX some time back.