•  

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!

There have been 489 of your fellow community members and guests in the forums and elsewhere on AVSIM within the last 15 minutes!

SUBMIT YOUR NEWS TO AVSIM

HOT SPOTS:
 rarrow.gif What's new in the Library
rarrow.gif The Market Place!

rarrow.gif What's New In the Market

rarrow.gif What's Popular In the Market

rarrow.gif Member Blogs

rarrow.gif AVSIM Social Groups - NEW!

rarrow.gif Member Reviews
rarrow.gif Bargain Hunters Forum
rarrow.gif Classified, Want, Swap Ads

rarrow.gif AVSIM Team Speak System - NEW!

rarrow.gif Video Library
rarrow.gif Live Video Streaming
rarrow.gif Image Gallery
rarrow.gif Community Links Library
rarrow.gif Tutorials

rarrow.gif FS9. FSX & P3D CTD Guide

rarrow.gif FSX / P3D Configuration Guide

rarrow.gif AVSIM Publications 

Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight and simulation communities. Please help us keep it that way. Donate what you can today! Thank you for your support!

AVSIM Market Place
Featured Products!

. . .
Photo
- - - - -

FSX Pushback Steering

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 mdexter

mdexter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • Joined 2 Years, 10 Months and 17 Days Ago.

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:14 PM

Hi all,New to the forum here, just a question about Pushback steering....I cannot for the life of me get the steering to work in pushback, I hit SHIFT+P to start the pushback then straight after I hit the number 1 above the q key, doesnt do anything, do I need to have the engines off for the steering to work?Many thanks allRegardsMat

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

#2 sho69607

sho69607

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 8 Months and 6 Days Ago.
  • Interests:Battlefield Bad Company 2 & Battlefield BC2 Vietnam
    The Sims 3
    BATTLEFIELD 3!!!!!! :))))

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:27 PM

it should be 1 for turning left and 2 for turning right. Make sure you press one of these keys AFTER you start to pushback.

#3 Pete Dowson

Pete Dowson

Member - 1,000+

• Commercial Member
  • 1,082 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 7 Months and 7 Days Ago.

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:49 PM

New to the forum here, just a question about Pushback steering....I cannot for the life of me get the steering to work in pushback, I hit SHIFT+P to start the pushback then straight after I hit the number 1 above the q key, doesnt do anything

Does it do this with default aircraft? If so there's something wrong.However, many add-on aircraft have panels which continually send controls to FS. When these come between the Shift+P and the 1 or 2 they defeat the latter. FS is no longer able to associate the 1 and 2 with the pushback because other functions intervened.There are facilities in FSUIPC to fix that. But it has to be registered.RegardsPete

#4 mdexter

mdexter

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:09 PM

Does it do this with default aircraft? If so there's something wrong.However, many add-on aircraft have panels which continually send controls to FS. When these come between the Shift+P and the 1 or 2 they defeat the latter. FS is no longer able to associate the 1 and 2 with the pushback because other functions intervened.There are facilities in FSUIPC to fix that. But it has to be registered.RegardsPete

Thanks Pete,can the default 1 and 2 ketys be remapped, if so what are the key descriptions, or is the best thing to get a registred version of FSUIPC Pete, your thoughts??Cheers

#5 raymar

raymar

When Pigs Fly

• Members
  • 2,261 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 6 Months and 20 Days Ago.
  • My PC
  • My Simulator
  • About Me

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:51 PM

Make sure you give the plane a minute or so of straight time before the turn starts. I think that is the case will every one of them. Maybe 30 - 50 feet straight back before any turning.It sounds like you are hitting the keystrokes correctly. Make sure the parking brake is off, then SHIFT + P then 1 or 2. I have always used the numbers across the top of the keyboard. Bet you are just not holding your mouth right. Try it again and be patient.Ray

#6 mdexter

mdexter

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:38 PM

Make sure you give the plane a minute or so of straight time before the turn starts. I think that is the case will every one of them. Maybe 30 - 50 feet straight back before any turning.It sounds like you are hitting the keystrokes correctly. Make sure the parking brake is off, then SHIFT + P then 1 or 2. I have always used the numbers across the top of the keyboard. Bet you are just not holding your mouth right. Try it again and be patient.Ray

Many thanks for that, can you remap these keys?And example when I am at TNCM and the first three jetways are used and I have to squeeze into the last one on the right I would not have 50 feet without coming too close to the buildings behind say with a 777. I need to make the turn using 1 pretty much after the pushback begins, just wondering in an instance like this.is there any addons which make steering more functionable at all?Many thanks anyone....

#7 Pete Dowson

Pete Dowson

Member - 1,000+

• Commercial Member
  • 1,082 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 7 Months and 7 Days Ago.

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:10 AM

can the default 1 and 2 ketys be remapped, if so what are the key descriptions

They are simply "Select 1" and "Select 2", and that's what they send. Re-mapping does no good because they would have to be mapped to the same controls. The problem is that the 4 Selects (1 - 4) only have meaning with the previous control -- Shift+P for Pushback, Shift+E for Exits, E for Engines, and if the previous control isn't one they apply to, they do nothing. The FSUIPC facility gets around that by reinstating the flag for the control in FS's innards.It can be useful even for default aircraft which don't keep sending controls which interfere. For instance you can start pushback, then use View controls to look to see where you've got to then press 1 or 2 to commence the turn. This is in fact why I implemented it in the first place.Note also that even when it is going to do the turn, it continues directly backwards for the length of the aircraft. Allow for that in your timing.

is there any addons which make steering more functionable at all?

For pushback you mean? Aerosoft's AES provides a proper pushback for the airports it supports, and it often knows the correct direction and where the taxi lines are.RegardsPete

#8 raymar

raymar

When Pigs Fly

• Members
  • 2,261 posts
  • My PC
  • My Simulator
  • About Me

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:32 AM

Many thanks for that, can you remap these keys?is there any addons which make steering more functionable at all?Many thanks anyone....

Actually there are several nice free ones. Just search for the free files. I have used two different ones that that was panel mounted (2d) and was very easy to use - you basically dial up the distance and direction of pushaback, release the brake and watch. I remember a couple that came with some 737 PIC panel modifcation files. Might have been FS9 stuff that had been updated for fsx.Ray

#9 toriu

toriu

• Members
  • 275 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 8 Months and 4 Days Ago.
  • My PC
  • My Simulator

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:59 PM

I use this groundhandling gauge,it has automated pushback with conversation sounds, a Taxispeed controller, by Rob Barendregt. Its in the AVSIM Libary.rcbgh-50.zip

#10 mdexter

mdexter

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:25 PM

Many thanks Toriu, I will check this out, many thanks again guys

#11 fsxenthusiast

fsxenthusiast

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 3 Months and 23 Days Ago.
  • My PC
  • My Simulator

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:51 PM

are you hitting 1 after releasing shift+P? cause you need to continue holding all 3 keys down but press them in order:Shift + P + 1 (left) orShift + P + 2 (right)Gotta hit the 1/2 while the Shift+P are still held down.

#12 mdexter

mdexter

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:40 AM

Awesome folks.....finally got it working, thanks again for everyones input, with regards Mat

#13 raymar

raymar

When Pigs Fly

• Members
  • 2,261 posts
  • My PC
  • My Simulator
  • About Me

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:17 AM

Awesome folks.....finally got it working, thanks again for everyones input, with regards Mat

Avsim strikes again. Good to hear you can back up now. :( Tell us how you got it going, or did you use the add-on freeware?Ray

#14 PIC007

PIC007

Member - 1,000+

• Members
  • 1,876 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 11 Months and 8 Days Ago.
  • My PC
  • My Simulator

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:29 AM

are you hitting 1 after releasing shift+P? cause you need to continue holding all 3 keys down but press them in order:Shift + P + 1 (left) orShift + P + 2 (right)Gotta hit the 1/2 while the Shift+P are still held down.

Nope, just press the 1 or 2 within a second or so after Shift+P, there is a time limit.

#15 Squishy

Squishy

• Members
  • 609 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 9 Months and 27 Days Ago.
  • My PC
  • My Simulator

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:38 AM

Get a proper addon like PMDG 747 which has pusback control integrated :(

#16 raymar

raymar

When Pigs Fly

• Members
  • 2,261 posts
  • My PC
  • My Simulator
  • About Me

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:46 AM

Get a proper addon like PMDG 747 which has pusback control integrated http://static.avsim.net/forum/public/sty...

I have that 'proper' add on and I think the freeware version that was linked above is as a minimum as good as the 'proper' one and can be used on any of your add-ons. It may even be superior. :( Ray

#17 duckbilled

duckbilled

Member - 1,000+

• Members
  • 1,861 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 9 Months and 27 Days Ago.
  • Interests:Aviation
    Travel
    Urban Planning
    GIS
  • My PC
  • My Simulator

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:32 AM

Glad you got it working. 2 things:1. AFAIK, there is no time limit between shift P and the turn. Watch the pushback in spot view. When you hit 1 or 2, note the position of you main gears. When your nose gear reaches that position, your turn should start.2. AES eliminates all of this deep thought about pushback. You simply call up the AES menu and pick the option for pushback. AES does the rest and lines you up ready to taxi.

#18 B747400F

B747400F

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 1 Month and 10 Days Ago.

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:43 AM

AES seems to pushback correctly on the line, the default way and the pmdg 747 way both park you in the grass or crashed into another airplane nearbyI just started using AES last week but love it, now I can't fly into an airport without it!

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!