Sign in to follow this  
Tatave

Ifly 737 NG FSX vs PMDG 737 NGX

Well, the whole operation in the 747 cockpit isn't very 'FSX native' all. One would have to define that phrase by the way. The MCP operation is a p in the a with the left click/right click thingy. But that's personal preference I guess.A rather old FS9 ported Maddog shows how it's done there. But that's not on topic, sorry. I may sound a bit rude, but before even starting to think about a possible 747 remake or any other projects, we may focus on a possible SP1 for the NGX within the next time and, therefore, without further delays.I think that one will not only enable a fair view in the review aspect, but may also help some folks still struggling with the NGX.The SDK is missing too, so that will be another nice one to come up. While I understand that the fans are eagerly awaiting the next thing, I may also state that a J41 SP2 and a more final touch on the MD-11 would be appreciated too. So it's not that there isn't anything in the pipeline for PMDG. smile.png

Sorry no way
Sorry, yes way. PMDG has said so many times! Just because it might not texturally appear as nice or share functions that are in common with FS9 doesn't mean its not FSX native.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Well, the whole operation in the 747 cockpit isn't very 'FSX native' all. One would have to define that phrase by the way. The MCP operation is a p in the a with the left click/right click thingy. But that's personal preference I guess.
FSX Native = made for FSX rather than a FS9 port .. .. .. Nothing to do with MCP operation .. .. .. G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

Thanks for pointing out that the whole 'FSX native' talk isn't relevant when it comes to the operation of a plane for example. You can screw up things with the FS9 and the FSX SDK, as seen and not only limited to that aspect.Some 'native' planes easily perform as bad as some portovers while not necessarily offering any more depth by design. This leads to the conclusion that 'FSX native' doesn't relate to quality, performance or even the very subjective enjoyment factor of an addon. Not to mention stability. For a strange reason though, people seem to like that buzz word on their box.It sort of shares this character trait with the magic 'tested by real pilots' phrase I guess. happy.png Will we find the way back to the topic? mellow.png

Thanks for pointing out that the whole 'FSX native' talk isn't relevant when it comes to the operation of a plane for example.
Not actually what I said or meant, but don't worry about it. You seem to have confused yourself. G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

Sorry no way
Sorry, yes way. Straight from their website description of the product:

Version 2.10.0040, (Most Current Version: Released 22MAY08)

The PMDG 747-400X for FSX. For more information, please visit the

product page.

This version includes both the 747-400 and 747-400F airplanes!

This is a native FSX add-on aircraft that takes full advantage of new FSX capabilities.

http://www.precision...5&idcategory=13 I think you are misunderstanding this because the 747 was originally built for FS9.

Sorry, yes way. Straight from their website description of the product:

Version 2.10.0040, (Most Current Version: Released 22MAY08)

The PMDG 747-400X for FSX. For more information, please visit the

product page.

This version includes both the 747-400 and 747-400F airplanes!

This is a native FSX add-on aircraft that takes full advantage of new FSX capabilities.

http://www.precision...5&idcategory=13 I think you are misunderstanding this because the 747 was originally built for FS9. Just to add to that, what makes a model a FS9 port vs FSX native, is the method the 3D model is made. As well as the way the systems DLL (Not the plane simulation the actual code) is designed. Which is using Simconnect, if it was a FS9 port it would still use FSUIPC. As for the 3D model it is FSX Native because it was rebuilt according to the FSX SDK standards with separate Exterior and Interior models, FS9 models the Interior and Exterior model is integrated. Other FS9 models that were rebuilt to FSX Native models, include the LDS-767, and Wilco Airbus (and others). An example of a FS9 port would be the Wilco PIC 737, which retains the integrated Exterior/VC. There is no way that any of it could be considered a port.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Informative post. When I think about it, the upcoming Wilco PIC2, the CS -100/200 and the already available NGs will render the sim to a complete and current tech 737 household. cool.png

Informative post. When I think about it, the upcoming Wilco PIC2, the CS -100/200 and the already available NGs will render the sim to a complete and current tech 737 household. cool.png
Yay competition and varietydance.gif

And what about when the SP1 gets released in a few days ? Most of those issues you mentioned will be academic, including low res textures for the memory impaired. Who said FS2crew won't be available for the PMDG ? It will once the SDK is released. FS2 Crew was not released the same day as Ifly 737 either. System modeling is spot on in the PMDG, think you might have thrown the baby out with the bath water on this one Paul. I am not bagging the iFly either, it serves a niche market, but to compare it to the PMDG is folly if you don't realize that the two products are miles apart. biggrin.png
I wish people would actually read posts properly before replying to them..... Ho hum if I must.....I did not say that FS2Crew would not be available for FS2Crew, I said that the ifly has an API (True) and indicated that the PMDG did not (Also true as of this moment in time) SP1 has not been released for the PMDG and we have no firm date. You can only based assessments on what is actually there, not what may be there or may be fixed in the next SP which may be coming in a few days (or may not) Systems modeling....Mmmm thats a big one, you may be correct in saying the systems modeling is better in the PMDG. Or then again, it may be fair to say the systems modeling is more expansive, thats to say it may do more, more accurately. "Better" would say to me that it's been implemented better, functions better and is more performant. You can't really model real time embedded systems that well on normal PC hardware, so all this is rather subjective. I knew this was going to be contentious with the PMDG fan boys (which I am normally one) but it's good to have some dialouge around the comparison.
The problem with the turbulence in FSX is that its nothing like real life turbulence at all. There is no real life effect similar to the FSX turbulence. Turning turbulence completely off makes the sim far more realistic than keeping it on
I'd rather have less than perfect simulated turbulence than no turbulence at all. Unfortunately I don't have regular access to a 6 DOF level D sim.

I wish people would actually read posts properly before replying to them..... Ho hum if I must.....I did not say that FS2Crew would not be available for FS2Crew, I said that the ifly has an API (True) and indicated that the PMDG did not (Also true as of this moment in time) SP1 has not been released for the PMDG and we have no firm date. You can only based assessments on what is actually there, not what may be there or may be fixed in the next SP which may be coming in a few days (or may not) Systems modeling....Mmmm thats a big one, you may be correct in saying the systems modeling is better in the PMDG. Or then again, it may be fair to say the systems modeling is more expansive, thats to say it may do more, more accurately. "Better" would say to me that it's been implemented better, functions better and is more performant. You can't really model real time embedded systems that well on normal PC hardware, so all this is rather subjective. I knew this was going to be contentious with the PMDG fan boys (which I am normally one) but it's good to have some dialouge around the comparison. I'd rather have less than perfect simulated turbulence than no turbulence at all. Unfortunately I don't have regular access to a 6 DOF level D sim.
Your original post was not very balanced, in fact was negative through out. Your comment regarding FS2crew could easily be taken as it would not be available on PMDG due to API. Please consider how mis-understandings can occur,I don't consider myself a ###### of PMDG, just like I don't consider you a ###### of iFly. I also own the iFly 737, and I did not bag them at all, if you read my post correctly. Having read your post correctly, I would ask that you could also do the same.Cheers

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Just so there's no confusion: There will be (99 percent chance) an FS2Crew for the PMDG 737NGX. But I'm waiting on the SDK from PMDG. The SDK will allow for "clean and direct" integration, like what I currently have with the iFly, Jetstream, Maddog and other versions. I don't know when the SDK will be available... but I'm sure PMDG is anxious to get it out. It's not just FS2Crew that needs it; it's hardware vendors and the home cockpit people. Cheers,