Sign in to follow this  
davjones

Advice on a DC-9 for FS9?

After a bit of a hiatus from FS9 to work on some AI projects and more recently to work on an airline history site (www.60sairlineantiques.net), I'm coming back and find that myself wanting a really nice DC-9.Here are the possibilities that I know of: 1) The old Iron Knuckles DC-9 with the FS9 patch. It's OK, but some of the systems are not modeled very realistically and the panel isn't the greatest. 2) The FFX/SGA model using the Stellan Hilmerby panel. That panel is good and is a great place to start but could benefit by transplanting some gauges from the Coolsky/Flight1 MD80 and some other mods. The sound file that I have now isn't the best either but I can fix that pretty easily. This is probably my first choice, as I see things right now. As an aside, does anyone have or know where I can get the manual for the Hilmerby panel? The docs refer you do a defunct site for it. 3) The Sky Simulations model is tantalizing based on superb visuals both inside and out, but I read of serious handling difficulties in trying to fly it. No good! There is a temptation to try to use its panel with the FFX/SGA model, or even possibly trying to substitute another FDE file to come out with a decent DC-9. Has anyone tried anything like this with any success or am I just chasing rainbows?Just to give you an idea of what I'm trying to get, I like good systems modeling, has to fly well, 3D cockpit would be nice but isn't essential, but wing views are. The exterior model needs to look good, and I think all three that I've mentioned do. If I had just a series 30, that would be enough, but a -50 would be good to have.I hope this generates good discussion about the different ways you can go. Is there another possibility I'm not thinking about???Many thanks for all comments....DaveDave JonesFort McCoy, Florida USA

Hi David,Thanks for your suggestion. Yes, I am sort of acquainted with CalClassic, and in fact have provided a small measure of sideline help on a couple of their AI projects.It's probably not a good place to look for something as "new" as a DC-9 :( -- unless there's something hiding there that I just haven't found yet... ...Dave

Have you checked the CalClassics website?http://www.calclassic.com/Aircraft and much more available there.
Opa, do you mean Historic Jetliners Group? There you may find Hilmerby's panel customized for each DC-9 variant.Best regards from Colombia,Luis Miguel

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@23-144 Hz (locked at 120 Hz, FreeSync ON), Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4.

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Luis -Well, I thought I was also pretty familiar with the Historic Jetliners Group site -- in fact there is a link from my website to theirs. Yet I completely missed that they had a complete assortment of DC-9s, panels and repaints there. Where have I been?That was the answer I need. The panels are beautiful refinements of the basic Hilmerby panel, and 95% of the changes I envisioned making are already done. The only thing I don't know about yet is whether I can add wing views, but even if the HJG model doesn't accept them, I can presumably merge their wonderful panels and sound sets with the FFX/SGA model. They may even be the one and the same; so far I have seen no mention of the origin of the HJG model. I will be experimenting today!My highest hopes have been realized. Thanks very much for your help. ...Dave

After a bit of a hiatus from FS9 to work on some AI projects and more recently to work on an airline history site (www.60sairlineantiques.net), I'm coming back and find that myself wanting a really nice DC-9.Here are the possibilities that I know of: 1) The old Iron Knuckles DC-9 with the FS9 patch. It's OK, but some of the systems are not modeled very realistically and the panel isn't the greatest. 2) The FFX/SGA model using the Stellan Hilmerby panel. That panel is good and is a great place to start but could benefit by transplanting some gauges from the Coolsky/Flight1 MD80 and some other mods. The sound file that I have now isn't the best either but I can fix that pretty easily. This is probably my first choice, as I see things right now. As an aside, does anyone have or know where I can get the manual for the Hilmerby panel? The docs refer you do a defunct site for it. 3) The Sky Simulations model is tantalizing based on superb visuals both inside and out, but I read of serious handling difficulties in trying to fly it. No good! There is a temptation to try to use its panel with the FFX/SGA model, or even possibly trying to substitute another FDE file to come out with a decent DC-9. Has anyone tried anything like this with any success or am I just chasing rainbows?Just to give you an idea of what I'm trying to get, I like good systems modeling, has to fly well, 3D cockpit would be nice but isn't essential, but wing views are. The exterior model needs to look good, and I think all three that I've mentioned do. If I had just a series 30, that would be enough, but a -50 would be good to have.I hope this generates good discussion about the different ways you can go. Is there another possibility I'm not thinking about???Many thanks for all comments....DaveDave JonesFort McCoy, Florida USA
Hi,It's pretty old, but nevertheless still very good and freeware:http://www.hilmerby.com/fs/panelv50/50panel.htmlCan not be flown without the checklist.Developed by a former SAS DC9 (and MD80/A340) Captain

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

The best payware one is the Leonardo MD82 - extremely accurate and most enjoyable to flyTrevor

The best payware one is the Leonardo MD82 - extremely accurate and most enjoyable to flyTrevor
Well, you are probably right on this but this is an MD-80. He´s searching for an DC-9 which is something really different.

Hi Guys,You all have re-sparked my interest in flying the ole Diesel-9! I have to say after trying out the panel and flight models from HJG, I was extremely impressed! I ended up merging the Stellan DC-9 panels modified by HJG and their flight model with the Jet City aircraft and am very pleased! I was using the Skysim DC-9 which in it's own right is a pleasure to fly but have found nirvana with these new additions! The HJG seems so realistic with it's slower engine spool-up times and it just feels more like an older turbojet and handles wonderfully. Thanks for bringing this topic to light!!Mike

I came here just to post the outcome of yesterday's doubt about being able to add wingviews to the HJG model. There's no problem -- I rigged them up and all works just fine. The HJG site says that it's not their policy to support wing views, but know that it can be done.The panel is so good that I'm taking the time to add large, invisible click areas for very fast & easy switching between panels. A lesser panel wouldn't be worth the time and effort.Now I see that Mike has brought up another discussion point or two. First, the Jet City DC-9 which I had completely forgotten about. Is that payware or freeware? Not to challenge you in any way, I'm just wondering what it is about that model that made you want to merge the HJG panel with it instead of just sticking with the HJG package or merging it with the FFX/SGA model for that matter. The two apparently share the same origin, but are not now the same animal. May you know something that I need to know.... :( Further, you said that you've found the Sky Simulation model to be nice to fly. But I read quite a bit about handling and autopilot troubles, especially with the A/P trying to capture the localizer. Granted, I think some of those posts were from before SP1 (and there is no SP2 for FS9), but other posts referred to the patched version. I was left with the impression, right or wrong, that they had worked the problem, but only to a degree. If it's really fixed, I'm still interested. If there's anything better than a DC-9, it's two of them...I'm glad I brought this subject up -- most educational. If we keep this going it could become the definitive thread on selecting the best DC-9. :( ...Dave

Yeah, HJG does make really nice packages, esspecially the panels. I discovered the 727, for me the most beautiful plane ever build, at HJG and flew it exessively. Then I´ve switched to the Dreamfleet 727. The HJG panel is eventually a bit sharper but the Dreamfleet systems are unbeatable. But however, HJG makes solid packages with true beauties.

Dave,I can say the SkySim DC-9 is nice but I will have to check out the way it handles APPR mode. I usually hand fly ILS approaches and it is really nice in that respect. The Jet City Aircraft are in fact payware but are really worth it. The visual models are outstanding! I actaully modified the HJG panel.config to add my own wing views and it turned out really nice. I'd be happy to share those settings with you if you'd like, just let me know. One more thing again about the HJG DC-9 .air files, they are unreal. Flying approaches the last couple days with this plane is just a joy. The delayed spool up times from throttle inputs and the response of the aircraft makes it rock solid. Kudos to the developers! As i said previously, the Jet City/Stellan DC-9 merge is my new favorite!Mike

With every new post this gets more interesting. When I brought it up I wondered if there was any good DC-9 for FS9, and now it's turned to a question of which of three great choices is the best -- or does the "best" lie in a combination (merge) of two of them?First to quickly comment on Steffen on his 727 experiences, mine are identical. I too have the HJG 7-2 (well, it's old and at the time it was the FFX/SGA model merged with the Richard Probst panel.) It was great but in the end I bought the Dreamfleet 2000 model and consider it to be one of the best FS models I've ever seen. Has the HJG model/panel been upgraded since it went to their collection? Might be worth a look. I'm nuts on the 727!And for Mike, I see that you and I have been over the same ground on creating wing views for the HJG DC-9. Thanks for offering to share them with me, but I think I'm ok. I may call on you for a bit of help if I decide to go the Jet City - HJG panel merge route though. Total agreement on the delayed spin up time of the engines - this thing has all the marks of a big-time winner IMO. Further, Mike, if you want to report on A/P localizer capture when you get a chance to try it, that would be great.For all this excitement, I have to confess to not having had it off the ground yet. The panel is so good that I decided to take the time to add transparent panel click areas to quickly switch between panels. Never mind -- I already posted that bit!Only three things left:1) Does anybody know of any docs for the HJG panel? Maybe I just missed it. Probably is a question for the HJG board, but since their model is already under discussion here....2) How similar are the FFX and SGA models? At a glance it appears that the repaints will not interchange?3) Can anyone comment on the alleged handing difficulties of the Sky Simulations model?Thanks again for all the info that has come to the surface in this thread....Dave

Well Dave, I don´t know when you had a look at the HJG panel but I can say that only one major thig is missing: An APU control panel. This made the decission for the DF very easy. It means that you´ll have to switch at least one engine on (very unreal) to do your pre flight preperations. If they incorporate this, it would be very interesting again.Btw. I have also no manual for the HJG, just try and error.

Steffen and others interested -I found some documentation on the HJG DC-9 panels. Go to the HJG site, forums, Douglas Support, and the first item there is a long post on using the panels. Or you can try this:My linkIt starts off slow, general info on the DC-9, the models they offer, then all of the various aircraft/panel combinations, after awhile coming to installation, but if you drill down you'll get to the real meat.Hope this helps. There's a lot to be discovered in there that isn't apparent on the surface. Wonderful job those guys did....Dave