Sign in to follow this  
CaptKornDog

Trying to hunt down FS9 stutters

I have also set "none" for page files for my FS hard drive and 3072-3072 (as seems to be recommended by a few on here) for my OS drive.I'm now using the following [Terrain] entries[TERRAIN]TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=2TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.500000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=3.800000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4At this point, I'm worried I'm just chasing placebos. When I run in high-contrast Windows 7 themes, stutters seems to disappear but I get what appears to be half texture tearing/half shimmer. It's hard to describe, I can almost see half of the screen update faster than the other, so when I pan around it creates a little bit of a waving effect.When I run in a regular aero Windows 7 theme, I'll have stutters. When I lock to 60 FPS and pan/taxi, it's smooth for about 2 seconds then I see some "chattering." Best example is if I look at a taxi sign while taxiing it almost stutters forward a bit then backward, then is smooth. When I lock to 100 FPS (or something other than 60), the "chattering" is gone but it almost looks like the image around me aircraft pops and jerks as a pan around or taxi.I continue to appreciate any suggestions people may have.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

I finally got around to putting a short video together that demonstrates this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdm6IqpiOwUIt may not be readily apparent while panning, but look at the taxiway signs while on the interior shot.Thanks.

Didn't realize 3.0 came out. Thanks for the heads up. I do usually use GameBooster. Haven't really looked at FSAutoStart.GameBooster does seem to help a bit but the above videos use GameBooster 2.0.

Can't believe no one has asked what AI texture format you are using...32 bit or even DXt3 textures on Ai (A LOT of it!!) cause horrible stuttering on my box. AI set to DXt1 results in them looking great and not affecting performance at all....maybe someone else brought it up and I missed it but what AI format are you running?-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I have AI disabled.
And have you tried in the middle of nowhere to see if it is scenery induced? Sorry if I am asking basic stupid stuff but as an ex engineer I am a firm believer in KISS and always start with the easiest solutions first. For example on my box at LLBG I am butter butter smooth locked to 60FPS (Frames unlocked vsync app controlled) but at KEWR around NYC i too get stuttering with heavy add-on planes when I get down to 30-40FPS and it is SOO much worse when banking or turning... I am just waiting for that new Intel tera chip to finally conquer KEWR and the NYC area LOLJust my .02 again, sorry for the basic stuff...

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

What degree is your hard drive fragmented?? You about ready to start over :)
I defragment weekly (roughly, if not more often).
And have you tried in the middle of nowhere to see if it is scenery induced? Sorry if I am asking basic stupid stuff but as an ex engineer I am a firm believer in KISS and always start with the easiest solutions first. For example on my box at LLBG I am butter butter smooth locked to 60FPS (Frames unlocked vsync app controlled) but at KEWR around NYC i too get stuttering with heavy add-on planes when I get down to 30-40FPS and it is SOO much worse when banking or turning... I am just waiting for that new Intel tera chip to finally conquer KEWR and the NYC area LOLJust my .02 again, sorry for the basic stuff...
No worries, I appreciate it (I understand, I'm a flight test engineer myself tongue.png). I can pick a landmark or a tree or building from above at 30-someodd-thousand feed and see similar effects unfortunately. Of course not as pronounced since it's a smaller object, but it's still definitely present.With frames unlocked, do you get sound clipping/stuttering? It seems if I run unlocked it's kinda smooth, but especially with planes like the MD-11, I get a terrible rattling noise. Not as smooth as FPS locked at 60, but as I mention the stutters become the worse every few seconds in between the ultra-smoothness.I haven't been able to find a definitive aanswer regarding FS9, Vsync use, windowed/full screen mode, aero themes, etc. and their impact. Hence why I know at some point I'm chasing placebos.

I defragment weekly (roughly, if not more often).No worries, I appreciate it (I understand, I'm a flight test engineer myself tongue.png). I can pick a landmark or a tree or building from above at 30-someodd-thousand feed and see similar effects unfortunately. Of course not as pronounced since it's a smaller object, but it's still definitely present.With frames unlocked, do you get sound clipping/stuttering? It seems if I run unlocked it's kinda smooth, but especially with planes like the MD-11, I get a terrible rattling noise. Not as smooth as FPS locked at 60, but as I mention the stutters become the worse every few seconds in between the ultra-smoothness.I haven't been able to find a definitive aanswer regarding FS9, Vsync use, windowed/full screen mode, aero themes, etc. and their impact. Hence why I know at some point I'm chasing placebos. I guess I'll add this high memory 3GB usage mod that I've seen referenced as well.

If you set weather to be absolutely clear, does the stuttering still occur?

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

You could install FSX then the stutters would be normal. Straight%20Face.gif
HelloIf he ran FSX on that rig he would have much smoother performance than with FS9I have smoother performance with FSX than I ever had with FS9 given that FS9 is limited to only one core.Even when I had my E8600 that was still true.

If you set weather to be absolutely clear, does the stuttering still occur?
Yes.
HelloIf he ran FSX on that rig he would have much smoother performance than with FS9I have smoother performance with FSX than I ever had with FS9 given that FS9 is limited to only one core.Even when I had my E8600 that was still true.
Believe it or not, I get similar performance in FSX. So I'm hoping there is a common link between the two. I've never been able to totally jump over to FSX because of the difficult time I've had with VATSIM pilot clients and FSX, the stutters/performance issues, and several add-ons that FSX doesn't support (mostly aircraft).Other games like BF3 and CoD, I can run near maximum with almost no impact on performance.What FS9.cfg display/terrain settings do you run? What Windows themes and Vsync do you run?

Hey CaptKornDog,Hmmm... Is this maybe a video/driver rather than FS9 issue?What driver version are you using for the GTX570?I've a GTS250. The 28x drivers were rather unstable with both Flight SIms, so I went back to 275.33 and it's much better.Do you use MSI afterburner - that can induce better graphics performance as well.Hope this helps.Must be a real b**** to buy an expensive shiny new machine and get this shtick from FS9! I feel for you...

I use the 285.62 drivers. I also play a bit of Battlefield 3, so I didn't have much of a choice but to update.I'm not positive what MSI afterburner is, guess I'll have to research.Thanks.

My FSX looks very similar unfortunately. Stutters as I pan or taxi or move around the free world.Maybe the key to getting FSX running well is to fix FS9? (sounds like a riddle)

And for some reason I now don't have FSDT JFK terminal buildings tongue.png *sigh*