Sign in to follow this  
Kagan Ozgul

Another Fuel Planner

Hello.I've created an excel fuel planner for the 747-400 model, using tables from PMDG's manual. I know there are many but it felt like none of them suit my needs fully.The planner, calculates fuel very precisely (at least theoratically). It not just use table values, but calculates the correct fuel for the values you entered. It also gives the percentage of max weights for critical weight values (like ZFW, GTOW etc). And shows FMC entry values for ZFW and Reserves.My trials were good. But I need some feedback so I can continue and finish the metric one, then I'll copy and paste, editr and create an imperial one. Here it is. I'll appreciate any feedback. https://rapidshare.com/files/2039226876/747_FuelPlanner.xlsBTW, can anyone confirm if the PMDG's manual missed to calculate weight adjusting for the flight fuel? The table states, for every 4.500 Kg over or below 216.000 Kg (planned landing weight), you need to add/subtract the adjust value beneath the appropriate column to the calculated fuel. In the example on PMDG's manual, the landing weight is like 232.000 Kg's and table values used directly without adjusting. If this is correct, I need to change the code of my planner, since it calculates for 216.000 Kgs then adds or subtratcs fuel according to planned aircraft weight on landing, as the table states.Thank you.

Remember to add your name.It appears that cells J9, J14, H24, and M20 are not set for anything. They appear as zeros or blanks to me. J20 is also not connected to J19 for APU, only GTOW and Taxi.I noticed you included APU on time, that is something I haven't seen before, even on my sheet. Where did you get the 300kg/h from?The way the extra fuel works is that for every 4,500kgs above or below, you add or subtract the amount of fuel on the adjust row per hour of flight time. Read the whole example, you will see that the extra fuel is added for a final fuel load on the last row of the paragraph.

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

You need to allow macros and hit the Calculate button, below the data entry cells.300 Kg came from some source on the web (RL 747 pilot AFAIK). It may be a airline standart for them. Another standart was 1000 Kg for taxi, which I was not fixated that way. Oh and my name is already set as my login name. Regards.Kagan Ozgul

Good evening,I cannot download it. Rapidshare asks me to create an account and I prefer not to do it. Could you give me an alternative download link?Thank you in advance,Lluís
Down where it says "Download Now" on the bottom-right, click that. It is not the RapidPro file like it seems it is, its the excel file. Its deceiving, but that is the business of free file hosting.

Eric Vander

My 747 Fuel Calculator

Hi,

Here it is. I'll appreciate any feedback.
I have used it a couple of times and works fine for me. I am using the imperial system and I wonder when are you planning to deliver this version.Thank you very much for your time and effort.Lluís

Lluís del Cerro
VATSIM Senior Instructor

Catalonian Airlines

vatsim_5000h.png

Hi,I have used it a couple of times and works fine for me. I am using the imperial system and I wonder when are you planning to deliver this version.Thank you very much for your time and effort.Lluís
Try this one. I made it according to the PMDG manual. All you have to do is to enable macros and fill in the green cells (you cannot select the others anyway). I've also included some performance calculations which might be useful for some.http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OS9UCU0ILet me know what you think and maybe I can try uploading it at AVSIM library...

Good evening,

Try this one. I made it according to the PMDG manual.
Thank you also. Give me a few days to test it. I must also train some controllers and I have to share the time between piloting and controlling. Also thank you very much for your effort.Best regards,Lluís

Lluís del Cerro
VATSIM Senior Instructor

Catalonian Airlines

vatsim_5000h.png

Possibly this weekend it will be done.

Hi,I have used it a couple of times and works fine for me. I am using the imperial system and I wonder when are you planning to deliver this version.Thank you very much for your time and effort.Lluís

George,I just downloaded your Fuel Planner; it looks very nice. So, I must have really screwed up somewhere but I just used it for a flight from KSFO-KDEN and double checked it with two other programs. Here's a run down of what I inputedTotal payload: 127,400 lbs (pax and cargo)Trip Distance: 960 nmFlight level: 370Wind: 23 Knots TLMin. Landing: 19,000alt fuel: 100 mi for 8000 lbsTaxi: 2500 lbsTotal Trip Fuel: 99,092I checked with TOPCAT (I know it's not accurate): 75,550 lbs fuelVroute Premium: 65,380There's some pretty big discrepancy's. I'm sure I've inputted something incorrectly but I was very surprised. I would be curious if you noticed anything strange.I'm flying the route right now with the fuel load from your spread sheet and the FMC is stating 49,900 remaining on arrival. Your spreadsheet gave me 31,500. I'll see how it turns out; I was pretty bad at math in school and the couple of G&T's probably isn't helping, so I'm sure i messed up something along the way.Cheers, Chris K.

Chris B. Trane

TOPCAT is one of the premium flight planners on the market. I would personally trust that more than the others. Point in case being I tested out my sheet with the specs you gave me (some were vague, used 45 min holding, alternate fuel is incorrect. The distance I got using GCM was 840 nm direct, is it really 960 while on route?)The sheet runs as follows,Payload - 127.4KSFO-KDENAlt - KPUBHolding - 45 minPLW - 561.1Wind - -23 ktsAir miles - 834 nmFL 370Fuel to load was 76.2, much closer to TOPCAT than the others. Try it yourself, spreadsheet in signature.

Eric Vander

My 747 Fuel Calculator

George,I just downloaded your Fuel Planner; it looks very nice. So, I must have really screwed up somewhere but I just used it for a flight from KSFO-KDEN and double checked it with two other programs. Here's a run down of what I inputedTotal payload: 127,400 lbs (pax and cargo)Trip Distance: 960 nmFlight level: 370Wind: 23 Knots TLMin. Landing: 19,000alt fuel: 100 mi for 8000 lbsTaxi: 2500 lbsTotal Trip Fuel: 99,092I checked with TOPCAT (I know it's not accurate): 75,550 lbs fuelVroute Premium: 65,380There's some pretty big discrepancy's. I'm sure I've inputted something incorrectly but I was very surprised. I would be curious if you noticed anything strange.I'm flying the route right now with the fuel load from your spread sheet and the FMC is stating 49,900 remaining on arrival. Your spreadsheet gave me 31,500. I'll see how it turns out; I was pretty bad at math in school and the couple of G&T's probably isn't helping, so I'm sure i messed up something along the way.Cheers, Chris K.
Chris,You haven't screwed up anything as I get the same figures with you.Hopefully there is no calculation error as every step was checked again and again between excel and the PMDG manual. Of course this cannot guarantee there aren't any so I'll try to find some time to check it again (cannot promise how soon).Another thing that comes into my mind is that the calculations are based on a 0.86M cruise speed, while most of us cruise at ECON. I cannot say if this leads to such big differences in fuel consumption but it could be a place to start digging.Thanks for your good words anyway! :(

George,Thanks for the point about cruise speed, I didn't take that into consideration. I did use ECON.I also agree TOPCAT is an amazing program; I use for every flight. I was only referencing their fuel calculation fields. I've heard that they are just estimates, whereas VRoute Premium factors in weather when performing the calculation. I could be completely wrong about that but I do use both when fuel planning. Another mistake I made was was the distance calculation, I used a real world flight plane for that day, which was 960 nm ( I didn't update TOPCAT). Eric: You mentioned the alternate fuel was incorrect. I don't quite understand. My alternate was KCOS, which I didn't mention before. Just curious, since I'm here to learn. I just took a look at your spreadsheet after writing the message and like it quite a bit. I'll try another flight tonight and mess around with it. Now I need a good one for the MD-11, I hardly fly the 747 anymore.Thanks all,Chris K.

Chris B. Trane

Hi George & Kagan, If it's alright with you I'd like to post links for both your fuel planners to the Dantrix site as a reference.I'm keeping a list of the fuel planners out there. Is this OK with you? Here's the link to the thread... http://www.dantrix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=303&hilit=fuel Let me know? ThxMark

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!