•  

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!

HOT SPOTS:
 rarrow.gif The 2014 Demographic Survey! - NEW!

rarrow.gif What's new in the Library

rarrow.gif Member Blogs

rarrow.gif Member Reviews - Contribute a Review!
rarrow.gif Bargain Hunters Forum
rarrow.gif Classified, Want, Swap Ads

rarrow.gif AVSIM Team Speak System

rarrow.gif Video Library
rarrow.gif Image Gallery
rarrow.gif Community Links Library
rarrow.gif Tutorials

rarrow.gif FS9. FSX & P3D CTD Guide

rarrow.gif FSX / P3D Configuration Guide

rarrow.gif AVSIM Publications 

Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight and simulation communities. Please help us keep it that way. Donate what you can today! Thank you for your support!

. . .
Photo

Win7 with or without SP1? For FSX

Reinstalling PC

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 KristianN

KristianN

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 1 Month and 20 Days Ago.

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:00 AM

Hello to all, First I'd like to say I'm sorry if this has been asked before and if it's not the right place to ask. With the NGX just around the corner I'm going to completely reinstall everything on my PC.It came to my mind that I own a Danish copy of Win7-64 Home Premium... For FS2Crew I need to change languageto get the speech recognition to work. I can use Vistalizator to do that BUT it doesn't work with SP1 for Win7. So, what I would like to know is if there's any difference in FSX with or without Win7 SP1 installed?Is it okay to not install SP1 regarding performance? Or do I really need SP1 of other reasons? What would you do? I'm not that clever when it comes to this whole OS thing. Thanks in advance for your help!

Kristian Nørregaard
737, 777 and 787

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

#2 steve inwood

steve inwood

DECEASED 09/13

• DECEASED
  • 1,711 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 1 Month and 8 Days Ago.

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:03 AM

SP1 is best for win 7 that's all im saying with out getting into any debate. thanks Ste

Posted Image

Posted Image

Steve Inwood

BACKUP YOUR ORIGINALS GUYS BEFORE USING MY SOUNDS

#3 ckeddf

ckeddf

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 6 Months and 30 Days Ago.

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:36 AM

Just run Vistalizator in Windows7 compatibility mode, it still works with SP1 (at least it did for me).
Christoph Kühne

#4 Sawydz

Sawydz

• Members
  • 783 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 3 Months and 15 Days Ago.

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:44 AM

You always need service packs, the're released for a reason ;) Vistalizator should work, but I always run it right after installing Windows so can;t say for shure. The risk is worth it, because FS2CREW is absolutely outstanding product!Regards,
Grzegorz Galant EPGL
Logitech G940 (crap!!!), Intel i7 860@3.8GHz, MSI P55-GD80, Corsair XMS3 4x2GB, EVGA GTX570SC, W8x64

#5 xflash

xflash

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Joined 5 Years and 24 Days Ago.

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:55 AM

This is in german, sorry for that. But i think you´ll understand it.. http://blog.y-m-e.ne...sional-mit-sp1/
Sebastian S.

#6 Darwinian

Darwinian

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 4 Months and 9 Days Ago.

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:01 AM

I'm running Win7 64bit w/SP1 and FSX with no issues. On a side note I know people say the CPU Is the game changer when it comes to performance, but on my dual core E6600 I noticed a massive increase in performance when I went from 2gb of ram to 6gb and reinstalled everything under Win7 64 bit.
Mike

Posted Image

#7 KristianN

KristianN

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 95 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 1 Month and 20 Days Ago.

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:05 AM

This is in german, sorry for that. But i think you´ll understand it.. http://blog.y-m-e.ne...sional-mit-sp1/

Thanks! Yes I understand it.. Going to give it a try :( To you other guys, thank you as well! Sounds like I need the SP. That's how it's going to be then. Thanks!

Kristian Nørregaard
737, 777 and 787

#8 dazz

dazz

Member - 4,000+

• Members
  • 4,944 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 9 Months and 12 Days Ago.

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:32 AM

Sorry but W7 Home Premium does not allow language updates, SP1 won't fix that. That's a feature of the Professional & Ultimate versionsSP1 is a compilation of regular updates for the most part, it also adds support for the AVX instruction set, all completely irrelevant for FSX. Of course having the OS updated is always a good idea, there are many security patches in those updates
Posted Image

#9 Sawydz

Sawydz

• Members
  • 783 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 3 Months and 15 Days Ago.

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:37 AM

Hi Dario, That's where Vistalizator comes in, it can change the OS language, I have "converted" my Polish Win7 Home Premium into English this way.
Grzegorz Galant EPGL
Logitech G940 (crap!!!), Intel i7 860@3.8GHz, MSI P55-GD80, Corsair XMS3 4x2GB, EVGA GTX570SC, W8x64

#10 dazz

dazz

Member - 4,000+

• Members
  • 4,944 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:50 AM

Hi Dario, That's where Vistalizator comes in, it can change the OS language, I have "converted" my Polish Win7 Home Premium into English this way.

Oh, ok, I missed that. Thanks Grzegorz fot the HU :( I also was wrong in saying that the langauge can be changed in W7 Professional by default :( It's Ultimate and Enterprise
Posted Image

#11 3-2-1-Now

3-2-1-Now

Member - 2,000+

• Commercial Member
  • 2,506 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 4 Months and 25 Days Ago.

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:39 AM

With or without SP1 for Win 7 makes very little to no difference to FSX (on my system it made zero difference, and in fact SP1 is bugged in that it causes menus to expand out the wrong way - extremely annoying!)Best regards,Robin.With or without SP1 for Win 7 makes very little to no difference to FSX (on my system it made zero difference, and in fact SP1 is bugged in that it causes menus to expand out the wrong way - extremely annoying!)Best regards,Robin.
“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.” ― George Bernard Shaw

#12 Tabs

Tabs

PMDG Support

• Commercial Member
  • 13,275 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 5 Months and 22 Days Ago.

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:24 PM

Absolutely no reason not to install SP1 - you're opening yourself to security holes if you don't in fact.

Ryan Maziarz

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

#13 ferdaisy@yahoo.com

ferdaisy@yahoo.com

• Members
  • 89 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 6 Months and 22 Days Ago.

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:08 PM

i have w7 ultimate no service packs all work like champ regards feer..Posted Image
Fernando diaz
Intel Core i7-2600K@4.3
Gigabyte 6 Series GA-P67A-UD3
Thermaltake VN300M1W2N Chaser MK-I
Patriot G2 Series 8GB
Cooler Master RR-V6G
MSI N560GTX Twin Frozr II
Samsung T260HD..

Posted Image

#14 3-2-1-Now

3-2-1-Now

Member - 2,000+

• Commercial Member
  • 2,506 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 4 Months and 25 Days Ago.

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:49 PM

you're opening yourself to security holes if you don't in fact.

If MS can't even catch the fact that menus now open the wrong way post SP1, then closing security loopholes without introducing new ones will be damn near impossible. Writing secure software is much harder than people think. Best regards,Robin.
“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.” ― George Bernard Shaw

#15 dazz

dazz

Member - 4,000+

• Members
  • 4,944 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:55 PM

If MS can't even catch the fact that menus now open the wrong way post SP1, then closing security loopholes without introducing new ones will be damn near impossible. Writing secure software is much harder than people think. Best regards,Robin.

What is that exactly, please Robin?
Posted Image

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!