Sign in to follow this  
KristianN

Win7 with or without SP1? For FSX

Hello to all, First I'd like to say I'm sorry if this has been asked before and if it's not the right place to ask. With the NGX just around the corner I'm going to completely reinstall everything on my PC.It came to my mind that I own a Danish copy of Win7-64 Home Premium... For FS2Crew I need to change languageto get the speech recognition to work. I can use Vistalizator to do that BUT it doesn't work with SP1 for Win7. So, what I would like to know is if there's any difference in FSX with or without Win7 SP1 installed?Is it okay to not install SP1 regarding performance? Or do I really need SP1 of other reasons? What would you do? I'm not that clever when it comes to this whole OS thing. Thanks in advance for your help!

Just run Vistalizator in Windows7 compatibility mode, it still works with SP1 (at least it did for me).

You always need service packs, the're released for a reason ;) Vistalizator should work, but I always run it right after installing Windows so can;t say for shure. The risk is worth it, because FS2CREW is absolutely outstanding product!Regards,

I'm running Win7 64bit w/SP1 and FSX with no issues. On a side note I know people say the CPU Is the game changer when it comes to performance, but on my dual core E6600 I noticed a massive increase in performance when I went from 2gb of ram to 6gb and reinstalled everything under Win7 64 bit.

This is in german, sorry for that. But i think you´ll understand it.. http://blog.y-m-e.ne...sional-mit-sp1/
Thanks! Yes I understand it.. Going to give it a try :( To you other guys, thank you as well! Sounds like I need the SP. That's how it's going to be then. Thanks!

Sorry but W7 Home Premium does not allow language updates, SP1 won't fix that. That's a feature of the Professional & Ultimate versionsSP1 is a compilation of regular updates for the most part, it also adds support for the AVX instruction set, all completely irrelevant for FSX. Of course having the OS updated is always a good idea, there are many security patches in those updates

Hi Dario, That's where Vistalizator comes in, it can change the OS language, I have "converted" my Polish Win7 Home Premium into English this way.

Hi Dario, That's where Vistalizator comes in, it can change the OS language, I have "converted" my Polish Win7 Home Premium into English this way.
Oh, ok, I missed that. Thanks Grzegorz fot the HU :( I also was wrong in saying that the langauge can be changed in W7 Professional by default :( It's Ultimate and Enterprise

With or without SP1 for Win 7 makes very little to no difference to FSX (on my system it made zero difference, and in fact SP1 is bugged in that it causes menus to expand out the wrong way - extremely annoying!)Best regards,Robin.With or without SP1 for Win 7 makes very little to no difference to FSX (on my system it made zero difference, and in fact SP1 is bugged in that it causes menus to expand out the wrong way - extremely annoying!)Best regards,Robin.

Absolutely no reason not to install SP1 - you're opening yourself to security holes if you don't in fact.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

you're opening yourself to security holes if you don't in fact.
If MS can't even catch the fact that menus now open the wrong way post SP1, then closing security loopholes without introducing new ones will be damn near impossible. Writing secure software is much harder than people think. Best regards,Robin.

If MS can't even catch the fact that menus now open the wrong way post SP1, then closing security loopholes without introducing new ones will be damn near impossible. Writing secure software is much harder than people think. Best regards,Robin.
What is that exactly, please Robin?