Sign in to follow this  
Jetblst

FMC honeywellfmc.zip (Garrett Smith)

First let me say this is not a bad FMC/FMS/CDU what have you for FS9/FSX. Second I am having some issues with it and have not been able to get in touch with Garrett. One main issue I am having is that when using the MENU / NAV DATA / AIRPORT IDENT feature, I rarely get the system to work. Sometimes I can page through all the pages for an airport other times I am only able to look at 1 or 2 pages. Other times still the PREV and NEXT buttons do not work. At all. I am wondering if it is on my end, or does this thing just has a lot of issues with it. It is installed correctly. I have the cab file currently in the panel of the aircraft I am trying to get it to work withand I have it added to the panel correctly. 95% certain anyway. Everything else works pretty well.I was hoping to be able to get real time airport information from this. The rare times it does work for this it is awesome. Any ideas. Any fixes? Third, at this point does anyone know of any other good FMCs for FSX. Freeware or payware is fine. I am looking for one that works for ALL aircraft though. I am reluctant to us vasFMC as too many people say it only works with airbus. I did purchase the Friendly Panel. Wish I hadn't. Does the same thing as this one. Does anyone know if anyone has made a virtual EFB for FSX yet? That would work too. That is my next stop. One that works real time though. Thanks so much in advance! Windows 7 FSX GOLD non default installation. (C: Flight Simulator X).

Respectfully,

Jet

One main issue I am having is that when using the MENU / NAV DATA / AIRPORT IDENT feature, I rarely get the system to work. Sometimes I can page through all the pages for an airport other times I am only able to look at 1 or 2 pages. Other times still the PREV and NEXT buttons do not work. At all. I am wondering if it is on my end, or does this thing just has a lot of issues with it. It is installed correctly. I have the cab file currently in the panel of the aircraft I am trying to get it to work with and I have it added to the panel correctly. 95% certain anyway. Everything else works pretty well. I was hoping to be able to get real time airport information from this. The rare times it does work for this it is awesome.Any ideas. Any fixes?
Agreed. Like you, sometimes I can page through all the pages for an airport, but other times I am only able to look at 1 or 2 pages. Sometimes the PREV and NEXT buttons do not work (when this happens for me, one of the buttons does work fine, but the opposite one does not). Sometimes you press NEXT and the page count does not roll over back to page 1, but instead just keeps increasing and increasing, ad-infinitum, and you cannot go back. So, confirmed ... what you describe happens for me with Garrett's FMC as well. However, I don't have any problems getting the MENU, NAV DATA, AIRPORT IDENT features to work. All the features designed to search and display data work fine for me. (It's just that sometimes, once the data is displayed, the PREV and NEXT buttons do not always work 100%.) Whilst the FMC works for me for searching and displaying data (aside from the odd glitch with the PREV and NEXT buttons) ... I do have a pet hate ... that being that the pink flight plan line is not updated when you change from the enroute phase of the flight to the approach phase (selecting the desired approach and runway choice from the menus and then "activating" it). This is reflected in the Garmin GPS in the aircraft, with the pink flight path line changing to show the selected approach ... but the pink flight path line does NOT change in the FMC as it does in the GPS, instead it stubbornly continues to display the original enroute path straight to the airport without change. Other pet hates are the DTO function not allowing me to enter vertical navigation options for speed/altitude, and not being able to follow vertical navigation for an activated approach. It also does not do more than 6 pages for a flight plan making its use for long-haul flights quite restricted. There are also a few other obvious bugs and a number of various niggles providing the impression the work was not fully finished, or this is not the latest up-to-date complete version. However, despite this, Garrett's FMC can still be very useful ... and it is offered free.

Regards,

Freddy

Another update I'd like to see to along with all of yours would be a method to adjust ROC in the Vnav. I got a response from Garrett on this today. He is busy working. But he said he'll take a look at the FMC this Winter. So we shall see...

Respectfully,

Jet

What's with the FriendlyPanels FMC and Garrett Smith's one? Looking at the xml files shows that they're practically identical, down to the macro and variable names, with minor variations for the different bitmaps. Is there a connection or is someone ripping off someone else?

Hi there!

I thought an fmc follows the route and I can't get the Garrett Smith one to do it

so how do I connect it to the autopilot, yes I have followed the instruction but do I need to connect by pressing the gps or nav buttons on the autopilot?

sorry I am struggling with a stroke

Garrett's FMC is a front-end for the standard FSX GPS, so you use it just like you would the standard GPS. 

Create or load up a flight plan with the FSX flight planner, then make sure the NAV/GPS switch is set to 'GPS' and hit 'NAV' on the autopilot.

Thank you! absolutely over the moon, its working!

Are you new to FMS FMC?  I think when we were discussing this I hadn't found ISG panels.  If interested let me know.

Respectfully,

Jet

I know this old post keeps getting restarted.  But it's the only one that seems relevant.

My only problem is that when you go to calc VNAV it keeps putting Ground Speed along the entire route instead of IAS.  So what happens when you activate it?  It uses that number to auto adjust your AP when your AP is looking for IAS.

Example:  I was flying my A380 at .85 Mach and was already at cruise alt FL390.  I entered my cruise alt (39000) into VNAV and hit Calc.  It showed 510/39000 at each Cruise Alt waypoint.  So each time I passed the next waypoint it auto set my Mach setting to over 1.15! (which would be the correct Mach number if 510 was IAS).  I would be overspeed before I even realized it and would have to quickly disengage the AT, reduce throttle, set it again, and re-engage it.  It's definitely a PITA (Pain It The...)

So I had to manually edit each and every waypoint to read 270/39000 (which is .85 Mach at that Alt) in the VNAV and Activate and it worked fine after that.  But why should you have to do that?  I gave up and have come to the conclusion that I cannot use VNAV. :(

I already know that the FS flight planner has it's bugs.  If you click on NavLog it shows ground speed settings along the route instead of IAS.  Obviously that is the problem.

Does anyone know of a fix to this so that the Honeywell FMC imports the speeds properly?

Note: Yes I have made sure it was installed correctly.  Everything else works fine about it except that.  I also tested it in several other airliners at different altitudes and speeds and it does the same.

So sorry I missed this and did not get back to ya.  

First what FMS are you using?

Example:  I was flying my A380 at .85 Mach and was already at cruise alt FL390.  I entered my cruise alt (39000) into VNAV and hit Calc.  It showed 510/39000 at each Cruise Alt waypoint.  So each time I passed the next waypoint it auto set my Mach setting to over 1.15! (which would be the correct Mach number if 510 was IAS). 

If I understand you correctly, you are using VNAV during cruise?  VNAV is used for mostly descents from cruise attitude.  If you are pressing VNAV during cruise you will get undesirable results.  That is as far as I can answer until I know your situation a little better.     

Respectfully,

Jet

Interesting topic, I got this little FMC a few days ago by downloading the updated default 737-800 at http://simviation.com/fsnd/Downloads.htm.  I'm starting to learn how to use it.  What I really like is the TCAS which shows where the airplanes are and where they are going.  It's really cool.  Anyway, I pressed calculate VNAV the other day and for some reason, I wondered why the speed kept changing.  Silly me, I'm guess I'm used to the complete default 737 without FMC.  Anyway, yea, it kept setting my speed what was in the FSX navlog which was the ground speed.  I haven't messed with VNAV anymore.  Maybe if there's a way to change it and make it more realistic then I'll probably use it.  And slightly off topic, but does anyone know with the FSND update know how to turn on the windshield wipers.  I tried turning them on with the button in the cockpit, but it didn't work.  I'm hoping this is not another bug.  I'm sure it all installed right, everything else seems to work.  Anyway, thanks in advance.