Sign in to follow this  
Chrisjh999

PMDG B737 or IFLY B737 for FS9?

iFly. PMDG had it's time. You won't be sorry with the iFly.

Clarke Kruger - CYEG 

If you decide to get the PMDG series look for the for in one CD from Aerosoft with the 600, 700, 800, 900. http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/us/iboshop.cgi?showd80!0,5892475820,11787 for $36 US. I've been happy with it so no need to look elsewhere. Extra liveries are on the PMDG site as well as various download sites. Aerosoft provides any needed service packs for the CD version. That said I've have noticed many favorable comments in forums. PMDG reviews can be searched for. It does the job and FDE and systems are well integrated. One negative item is the PMDG policy is not to offer weather radar in the cockpit because rightly so the data supplied by FS9 and FSX does not fuuly support modeled precipitation (it is done with textures I believe). I think I fly implemented one vendor's version. I have an unsupported merge of Reality-XP's WX500 into the ND which basically uses 3D cloud data to predict precip areas. It doesn't work well in flat overcasts but does show cells in build-ups. Both iFly 737 and PMDG 737 are supported with subscriptions to Navigraph's FMC database including terminal procedures. With either one I would recommend using FS Build 2.4 which also now uses Navigraph AIRAC cycles for terminal procedures and navaid and waypoint data. Since FS Build supports many FMC formats you can export plans from that to ATC applications and FMC's to keep ATC in sync. I have a hint paper I can PM regarding doing this with an FMC and ATC application using FSBuild. See if you can find a manual for the iFly version to see if it fits your needs.

Ifly gets the nod here too. Recently picked it up and love it.

I'm very happy with the iFly product and am happy to recommend it. I'm sure PMDG's model was good for it's time, but it looks a little dated to me now. As for their new FSX model, that looks like a work of art and if I could get FSX to work on my comp, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

If you decide to get the PMDG series look for the for in one CD from Aerosoft with the 600, 700, 800, 900. http://www.aerosoft....892475820,11787 for $36 US. I've been happy with it so no need to look elsewhere. Extra liveries are on the PMDG site as well as various download sites. Aerosoft provides any needed service packs for the CD version. That said I've have noticed many favorable comments in forums. PMDG reviews can be searched for. It does the job and FDE and systems are well integrated. One negative item is the PMDG policy is not to offer weather radar in the cockpit because rightly so the data supplied by FS9 and FSX does not fuuly support modeled precipitation (it is done with textures I believe). I think I fly implemented one vendor's version. I have an unsupported merge of Reality-XP's WX500 into the ND which basically uses 3D cloud data to predict precip areas. It doesn't work well in flat overcasts but does show cells in build-ups. Both iFly 737 and PMDG 737 are supported with subscriptions to Navigraph's FMC database including terminal procedures. With either one I would recommend using FS Build 2.4 which also now uses Navigraph AIRAC cycles for terminal procedures and navaid and waypoint data. Since FS Build supports many FMC formats you can export plans from that to ATC applications and FMC's to keep ATC in sync. I have a hint paper I can PM regarding doing this with an FMC and ATC application using FSBuild. See if you can find a manual for the iFly version to see if it fits your needs.
Neither iFly nor PMDG implement weather radar, and both vendors have stated they will not do so - for very good reasons IMHO. DJ

both vendors have stated they will not do so - for very good reasons IMHO. DJ
huh.png There's is not a good reason when the real bird has one. Furthermore RealityXP and other vendors that model weather radar do a pretty good job in capturing the real world gauge. If we're going into how real it can be implemented in Flight Simulator versus the real world every add-on on the market is open for debate...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

huh.png There's is not a good reason when the real bird has one. Furthermore RealityXP and other vendors that model weather radar do a pretty good job in capturing the real world gauge. If we're going into how real it can be implemented in Flight Simulator every add-on is open for debate and scrutiny...
You've been around for a while Dillon and you know as well as I that this discussion has gone on and on and on and on and... The vendors have made it clear that they are not interested, that it's not technically feasible in any useful way, and that they flat aren't going to do it. If a user must have the eyecandy (and I'm as guilty as anyone) there are planes that have it and the RXP500 unit for those that don't. In the FS world it's useless for any other purpose - you can't create weather that is a real danger. DJ

I have implemented the captain sim radar into the 747-400 x.It is on the lower crt, so not absolutely realisitic, but it is still a weather radar....

How big is the download?

How big is the download?
For iFly it's around 500+ Mbytes, for PMDG quite a bit smaller... DJ