Sign in to follow this  
fencer

PMDG position on 32 bit systems, please?

Hi, Most of the posts I have read so far mention that problems can (must?) be expected if trying to run the latest PMDG sims - and especially the NGX - on a 32 bit system. I have a relatively recent machine (i7 CPU870 2.93/3.30GHz 3.49 Go RAM) with Win XP Pro SP3 installed. Not too sure if installing a 64 bit system is easy or even feasible with some of the applications I run. Could PMDG please advise if problems are to be expected (or point me to a post addressing the question)? And if there are some known limitations to be expected, what are they (maximum flight duration etc.)? Opinions/advise from other users are also welcome. Thanks in advance, Bruno

Im in the same boat.... running a 6 month old system with W7 32bit.... a little worried!

Cheers,
Ryan

Professional Coffee Drinker/BAe146 Driver
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer

I would expect serious problems, mostly related to the lack of memory that XP32 bit supports. The NGX looks amazing and runs amazing on my current system, but only for about 5-10 minutes before I get a crash and an "Out of Memory" error. I currently have: Windows XP 32bitIntel Core i7-970 Six Core hyperthreaded CPUNvidia GTX5704GB Ram (Limited to only 3 by XP) I decided to pull the trigger a little early and upgrade to Win 7 64bit and add an extra 4GB of memory.... I was planning to do it anyway, just not this soon but, now I have a reason. The plane is fantastic and I want to be able to use it. Next week I'll change out to: Windows 7 64bit8GB Ram I'm expecting that set up to work without issue, so here's hoping. Fortunately, PMDG has gone over the top with this one and it is a stellar product, but unfortunately it doesn't appear that 32 bit systems can handle it. My best advice is to RTFM and follow their advice. I noticed *significant* fps and performance improvement following every step in their manual during installation and tweaking of my FSX.cfg file, like, my fps for example was at around 20-30 when in the VC at Imagine Sim's KATL, but after following their tweaking instructions and making some minor settings adjustments, I was seeing between 50-80fps outside and 30-40+ in the VC. Again, RTFM, there's a reason they say: "Best Performance OS: Windows 7 64-bitProcessor: Intel Core i5 or i7 (Sandy Bridge core) or betterRAM: 4GB+Video Card: Nvidia GTX560 Ti, 570 or 580 with 1GB+ of video memory or betterMonitor: Widescreen 1920x1080+ PMDG *highly* recommends the use of 64-bit versions of Windows due to memory limitations in FSX." They also do say that if you don't run a lot of add ons you may be able to get away with lower memory; not possible for me since I'm running REX, ASE, and payware scenery for almost everywhere I go. You can buy and try, but be prepared to upgrade the PC if it isn't working; that's what I did. Best of luck.

I'll second what Dan said. You won't truly know if it will work for you unless you try it-- with the mindset that you may need to upgrade Windows to 64 bit. When I first got the MD-11 a few years ago, at the time I had a 32 bit OS. I could fly it all day long, but would crash with an OOM memory error at certain high density airports. I would say that everything is going 64 bit, and that if you can, you may as well make the leap... -Bill

My system is 32 bit Vista and I turned off UAC, I use my own security. With 4 gig ram and an E6600 3.06 gig but running at 3.32 gig though I could go higher, see little need though. During at least 6 machines and 3 formats per year minimum I always get the OOM error usually as I approach an airport to land, I believe this is the major problem with the 32 bit systems. I do however have a tried and trusted method to combat it and it works for me 100% in stopping the OOM errors immediatelly after 5 mins work. (1) I hit the run command box (start search is the default text in Vista) and type in; BCDEDIT /Set IncreaseUserVa 3072 You need to research the setting for XP to be safe. Try USERVA XP as a search entry in Google. (2) I open the Virtual Memory settings, I`ll not describe the path because its different on different OS types. At default Windows is running Virtual Memory. I set it to Custom and Windows advises the best setting, for me its 4605 so I change it to this. Finally reboot and my lovely 737 NGX and all others do not suffer from the dreaded OOM error ever, I`ve done this almost since FSX first came out and never a problem. Its also reversible but I`ve never had a need to. Careful tuning of FSX and the video card and 32 bit behaves itself and I still get very good settings. The rest is up to you.....

You're going to need an x64 OS if you want to run the aircraft with any sort of non default scenery. At the moment with W7 64 and my specs in sig, I'm still unable to complete a full circuit at an ORBX airport without an OOM, unless I turn FSX sliders right down.

Callum, that can't be right. You're running a very very very good system... I suspect you have other problems, too, like a memory leak.

I would expect serious problems, mostly related to the lack of memory that XP32 bit supports. The NGX looks amazing and runs amazing on my currentMy best advice is to RTFM and follow their advice. Again, RTFM, there's a reason they say: "Best Performance OS: Windows 7 64-bit PMDG *highly* recommends the use of 64-bit versions of Windows due to memory limitations in FSX." They also do say that if you don't run a lot of add ons you may be able to get away with lower memory; not possible for me since I'm running REX, ASE, and payware scenery for almost everywhere I go. You can buy and try, but be prepared to upgrade the PC if it isn't working; that's what I did. Best of luck.
Thanks Dan, and I promise I'll RTFM when I "F..." buy the "F..." NGX (unless you find a way for me to do it beforehand) laugh.png
My system is 32 bit Vista and I turned off UAC.../...Finally reboot and my lovely 737 NGX and all others do not suffer from the dreaded OOM error ever,
Thanks Steve Out of curiosity, are you running many add-ons? Bruno

Guys,We did have testers running on 32bit (in fact EV himself did some on XP32) - the memory issues are just a reality though with it, that's why we have the recommendation to use 64-bit. As soon as you hit that 2GB address space limit it's going to crash - unfortunately pretty easy to do as things advance like this. We just can't do what we're doing without pushing the limits... XP's 10 years old in October - time to move on.To the OP - what applications are you worried about if you switch to 64-bit? There's very very few issues in my experience. Only extremely old 16-bit apps won't work and there's ways around that with virtual machines and stuff anyway. (XP mode, VM Ware etc)

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

In response to Bruno: I have a fair few add ons installed. But as someone who likes to refresh the system every so often with a complete harddrive wipe I have momentarilly started up a flight before all my add ons are back on. Especially if its late in the day and I intend to continue the next day or I do my tune ups before adding the rest. The OOM error in this case is still in evidence and seems to appear regardless of how many add ons are in use at that time. Have them unloaded, have them loaded and the OOM error will at some point rear its ugly head. In my personal experience only as soon as I apply the fix the problem is gone. As stated the 64 bit systems run better, with no remedial work needed I guess. I have run 64 bit and saw the difference in FSX. At the end of the day though we face a balancing act between what we want to run on our systems and how we achieve it, their are still some programs and hardware that will not run on 64 bit. I continue to run my 32 bit system as it works how I want for me personally. I knew before I started it would run the NGX, call it gut instinct or whatever but the girl works. The fix holds out, theirs a weakness in 32 bit systems but they can be managed.

I am experiencing many framerate problems when running Windows 7 32-bit with this aircraft. I run FSX as admin, etc. but still, framerates are poor even using an external limiter (rapidly fluctuating between 6-25 fps). This is an example of a time when there seemed to be a problem after pushing the STD button on the EFIS, and a minute later (for the first time since buying the 737) i get the OOM message:

I've spent the first day with the 737-800 trying to get it to run reliably on my Win XP32, Q6600, 4GB Ram, GTX460, FSX SP2 system. After numerous permutations of tweaks, I just cannot get the aircraft to fly for more than about 20 mins before getting OOM, and the FPS is pretty poor at best. I observe a FSX process size just in excess of 1.8MB and reckon FSX on a 32 bits system just can't cut it. I guess this was always going to happen at some point...... Shame as every other aircraft I own (eg PMDG 747, CS 757, Level-F 767), flys quite well. Goodbye WinXP old friend. As I can't afford a new rig just at the moment, I've ordered a new harddrive and will install WIn7 64 and a fresh copy of FSX to see if I can persevere without buying more memory for my system (all slots are full to give 4GB). A real pain as I will need to reinstall all my add-ons with associated activations etc. Fingers crossed :)

Gerard Marley

Gerard - please let us know if the Win7 upgrade solves your issue.

I am experiencing many framerate problems when running Windows 7 32-bit with this aircraft. I run FSX as admin, etc. but still, framerates are poor even using an external limiter (rapidly fluctuating between 6-25 fps). This is an example of a time when there seemed to be a problem after pushing the STD button on the EFIS, and a minute later (for the first time since buying the 737) i get the OOM message:
What are your system specs?

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Gerard - please let us know if the Win7 upgrade solves your issue. What are your system specs?
Windows 7 32-bit | Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop | Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E6550 @2.33 Ghz | 3 GB RAM | Nvidia 9800gt | 1440x900x16 Res |This all proved to be more than enough to run the 747-400x using medium-high graphics settings w/ FlyTampa scenery as a frame of reference.

Just out of interest, i run windows vista premium 32bit...if i wanted to upgrade to windows 7 64 what else would i need to change in my computer for example motherboards etc etc?? cheers Wayne