Sign in to follow this  
philbrown

Hydraulic Electric Pumps - Overheat

In the process of dpoing my first flight, and throughout the flight, I've got the Overheat lights and Low Pressure lights on for both A and B hydraulic electric pump switches. Hydraulic system is getting pressure, I'm assuming from the engine pumps Should the electric pumps be off once the engines are running? I've found no references to this issue in any of the manuals.

Phil, No both engine driven pumps and electric pumps should be ON. It is in the normal procedures somewhere. What does the QRH or SP state about the above problem? Cheers,

page 13.1 QRH. Just says turn off affected side. Still trying to find its limitations as they are mentioned in the introduction but i cant find hehe.

In the process of dpoing my first flight, and throughout the flight, I've got the Overheat lights and Low Pressure lights on for both A and B hydraulic electric pump switches. Hydraulic system is getting pressure, I'm assuming from the engine pumps Should the electric pumps be off once the engines are running? I've found no references to this issue in any of the manuals.
Hmm, just posted the same thing ... http://forum.avsim.net/topic/342365-1st-failure/ Well at least I now know ;o)

I had this failure on the A side, I think it was from leaving the NGX parked overnight without doing a proper shutdown ... I left electric hydraulic pumps on.

I've just finished a flight that was about 1 hour long. I had an overheat issue constantly throughout, despite the pumps being switched off and low pressure lights illuminated. The manual says it should take about 30 minutes to cool, but mine never did. The manuals don't make it clear under what conditions the pumps can overheat, other than low fuel levels, but I had much more fuel than the specified amount.

The manuals don't make it clear under what conditions the pumps can overheat, other than low fuel levels, but I had much more fuel than the specified amount.
Are you talking about hydraulic pumps or fuel pumps???Please clarify. Thanks,

Mats, He mentioned fuel level because we all know (:() that the hydraulic fluid is ran through the left and right wing tanks through a heat exchanger...and without sufficient fuel in the tanks there's nothing to dissipate the heat into! Maybe all the backround PMDG stuff isn't reading the fuel load correctly. Did you adjust the fuel load through the FMS options or through the default FSX stuff?

Phil et al, Hydraulic pumps does not, as far as I know, have anything to do with fuel levels. Hence the question. Of course we all know that the hydraulic fluid is run through the left and right wing tanks and through a heat exchanger... ;) I have been flying several hour flights without getting the ELEC HYD pumps to overheat. With all kinds of different fuel loads. Cheers,

Edited by Mats_J

Fuel cools Skydrol...Skydrol warms fuel....works great. Skydrol makes skin irritable....everyone's happy he he

Fuel cools Skydrol...Skydrol warms fuel....works great.
Makes perfect sense to an HVAC engineer. Now when I think about it... lol. Sorry guys. Cheers,

Yes ! Fred.

Should the electric pumps be off once the engines are running? I've found no references to this issue in any of the manuals.
Yes !
Fred,Are you sure about this? I was always under the impression EDP and ELEC was to be ON at all times during flight. Cheers,

Fred,Are you sure about this? I was always under the impression EDP and ELEC was to be ON at all times during flight. Cheers,
Sorry Mats ! I meant that YES the pumps should always be on !! Fred.