Sign in to follow this  
Ioan92

Autoland Oddity - Neep Help.

Hi guys, I'm seeing something weird here - I am on landing, CAT III ILS AUTOLAND and, well the PFD does not display LAND 3 and Rollout, only Flare. Now I'm pretty sure that I did everything right - Both course knobs set, both nav radios tuned in, both FD's on, etc. The plane actually autolands very well, it flares and such, but I'm not seeing the PFD confirm it. Any ideas? or is.. is.. this a bug? :( Please tell me I'm screwing up something! Hypnotized.gif

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

Maybe you just have to wait until the next phase (in this case landing) comes alive.

I can see FLARE in white small letter below G/S. Maybe you have to wait until the next phase comes alive...
It stayed like that until i turned it off on the ground. I've tried it about 5 times already, no change.

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

A 737 has a fail passive autopilot (dual channel), which means it can only operate a CAT IIIA autoland, with a 50ft DH requirement and a 200m RVR requirement. This means there is only a flare mode and no rollout mode. On touchdown the crew disengage the autopilot and take control of the aircraft, which is why you need the visability requirement. This is not a bug, it is a true feature of all 737's. Hope this helps.

Same problem here... never get Autoland working. Both Freq are set, course set both, engaged both Autopilots, captured Loc before G/S and so on. No Autoland , e.g. at EDDF 09R. Also set autoland on in the Setup .... No Autoland in the Tutorial approach @ EHAM 18R

think i read similiar prob in another thread the solution i think was going in ur fmc aircraft config and its in there some where to change fail safe to fail pass autopilot

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

think i read similiar prob in another thread the solution i think was going in ur fmc aircraft config and its in there some where to change fail safe to fail pass autopilot
i did this. didnt solve the problem. -> still no autoland.

This is how it should be. In accordance to fail passive logic, no 'LAND 3' and rollout shall display. When intercepted on the ILS fully (LOC and G/S green), push the other CMD that haven't been working until now (if the entire flight was flown by CMD A, click CMD B, thus you engage dual channel landing - fail passive. the AFDS in a proper landing display as followed: A/T mode: MCP SPEED, Roll mode LOC, Pitch mode G/S, SINGLE CH. Below 1500 ft AGL the fail passive engages, thus the SINGLE CH is replaced by CMD annunication, and FLARE is armed (white) in the pitch mode. In case one CMD fails, it goes back to SINGLE CH and FLARE is no longer armed - thus we know an automated landing is not possible. CMD and FLARE armed means it's ok - just make sure FLARE turns green 50 ft AGL.

You guys were right! It's not a bug! Changed to "Fail OP" and the PFD lighted up like a Christmas tree! Thanks for the help!

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

Just to confirm - I flew a circuit around KSFO in the usual morning muck. ILS 28R using the MENLO transition for a smooth intercept and the autoland performed to exact specifications. Ensure both nav radios are tuned to the ILS freq and the course is dialed in on the MCP. I've put about 3 hours into her so far, mostly touch and go's with a couple of engine failures at rotation. Performance was flawless, even on one engine (use the fmc!). Hand flies like a dream too. After flying the heavies for so long, this bird is a really nice change of pace. Thank you PMDG team. You've out done yourselves. Whooo.... I'm giddy. dance.gif Paul Wood

What do you mean with " fail passive " and so on? How can i get an autoland ? Please explain it to me .... sad.png What is the difference between: FAIL OP and FAIL PASSIVE ? What settings i need to get the Autoland working ?

What do you mean with " fail passive " and so on? How can i get an autoland ? Please explain it to me .... sad.png What is the difference between: FAIL OP and FAIL PASSIVE ? What settings i need to get the Autoland working ?
Yes, this is beyond me too. I understand cat III autoland, the two cmd buttons and so on, but I have seen nothing in the tutorial about "failsafe" and "Fail OP". And BTW, "rollout" does appear on the pfd during landing, but in my case it did not work,possibly due to my fault. In a hand landing at the end of the tutorial I had no problem stopping the plane after hitting the runway 2/3 along the length, but in the full cat III autolanding following the tutorial, the aircraft stayed on 2 wheels for half the runway, occasionally rising a few feet despite touchdown at 147 speed, and I was brakiong like hell all the way. I thought I had armed the spoilers, but maybe I had not (should not reversers and spoilers come on automatically when the brakes are armed? Or there should be an indication that the spoilers are armed.), and I had the autobrakes on 2. The plane ran off the end of the runway and crashed into the fence further along. If the spoilers and reversers have to be turned on by hand on touchdown, it is major oversight that there is no pedestal window...Worried.gif Henri

Henri Arsenault

Yes, this is beyond me too. I understand cat III autoland, the two cmd buttons and so on, but I have seen nothing in the tutorial about "failsafe" and "Fail OP". And BTW, "rollout" does appear on the pfd during landing, but in my case it did not work,possibly due to my fault. In a hand landing at the end of the tutorial I had no problem stopping the plane after hitting the runway 2/3 along the length, but in the full cat III autolanding following the tutorial, the aircraft stayed on 2 wheels for half the runway, occasionally rising a few feet despite touchdown at 147 speed, and I was brakiong like hell all the way. I thought I had armed the spoilers, but maybe I had not (should not reversers and spoilers come on automatically when the brakes are armed? Or there should be an indication that the spoilers are armed.), and I had the autobrakes on 2. The plane ran off the end of the runway and crashed into the fence further along. If the spoilers and reversers have to be turned on by hand on touchdown, it is major oversight that there is no pedestal window...Worried.gif Henri
Shift+/ arms spoilers. There's also a click spot in the VC next to "arm". When you touch down they will deploy but you must manually bring in the amount of reverse thrust you need by tapping F2 a couple of times. Then tap F1 @ 80 knots to close the reversers. I suggest mapping them to your flight controls. To my knowledge, all commercial aircraft require the pilot flying to manually engage thrust reversers. With respect to the Fail Op, it's a menu option in the FMC under PMDG SETUP>AIRCRAFT>EQUIPMENT. Scroll through the pages until you find the Fail safe/Fail Op. Please read the Introduction PDF that was included for further explanation. Enjoy Paul Wood