Sign in to follow this  
Thunderbird8

'Autoland cancelled' message in the CDU / CMD B on, CMD A goes out

I carried out the tutorial flight with no problems then did a short flight of my own into Gatwick using the same principles and basically using the tutorial as a checklist. The only difference between the two flights was that I had about a 5kt wind on the nose on the final approach. Both Nav radios were tuned correctly, course was laid in on both, LOC button pressed then APP after LOC capture. CMD B then engaged when I got the glide-slope. I noticed on the PFD that 'Land 3' did not engage so I waited to see what would happen. I then noticed a/p CMD A has gone out and just CMD B was green. The aircraft did land OK but I noticed after I landed that there was a message in the CDU scratchpad window saying 'Autoland cancelled' (or something very like that, I'm afraid I can't recall the exact message). I think what actually happened was that the aircraft came down successfully but it wasn't a proper autoland. Thoughts?

Guest tonyf38

Did you have both Flight Directors on?

I had somethign similar last night, except the message was "NO LAND 3" which i know means there is no redundancy for autoland, but i couldnt figure out why.

I carried out the tutorial flight with no problems then did a short flight of my own into Gatwick using the same principles and basically using the tutorial as a checklist. The only difference between the two flights was that I had about a 5kt wind on the nose on the final approach. Both Nav radios were tuned correctly, course was laid in on both, LOC button pressed then APP after LOC capture. CMD B then engaged when I got the glide-slope. I noticed on the PFD that 'Land 3' did not engage so I waited to see what would happen. I then noticed a/p CMD A has gone out and just CMD B was green. The aircraft did land OK but I noticed after I landed that there was a message in the CDU scratchpad window saying 'Autoland cancelled' (or something very like that, I'm afraid I can't recall the exact message). I think what actually happened was that the aircraft came down successfully but it wasn't a proper autoland. Thoughts?
Make sure you wait until the proper intercept alt to capture the G/S . On the PFD make sure the carrot appears (it looks like a white diamond) once you hit approach and it captures it turns magenta. If you hit APP too soon then it goes into G/P mode instead. Guthrie Z

I may indeed have hit APP too soon. I did it once the aircraft stabilised as level on the LOC. So the procedure is: LOC - stabilise - wait for the carrot - hit APP - then engage CMD B?

I may indeed have hit APP too soon. I did it once the aircraft stabilised as level on the LOC. So the procedure is: LOC - stabilise - wait for the carrot - hit APP - then engage CMD B?
Yes... once you see the white diamond shaped carrot show up you then hit APP wait for Glide Slope capture G/S will annuciate on the PFD and carrot turns magenta. then hit CMD B and you will autoland. If you have access to approach plates you can get the G/S intercept altitude for your runway so you will know what altitude you need to be at for G/S capture instead of guessing. Guthrie Z

OK - update on this. 'Land 3' STILL not appearing however the aircraft still appears to carry out a perfect autoland. Weird.

FCOMV2 page 228 (40.20.16) (Operating Manual Vol 2) 18gglz.jpg This has also been a reason on why I could not perform a dual AP autoland... What I usually do back in the 747 is to confirm that ILS frequency is tuned on NAV1 and the nearest VOR tuned on NAV2. Now I don't really see the point why you have to tune the ILS frequency on BOTH NAV1 and NAV2...

FCOMV2 page 228 (40.20.16) (Operating Manual Vol 2) 18gglz.jpg This has also been a reason on why I could not perform a dual AP autoland... What I usually do back in the 747 is to confirm that ILS frequency is tuned on NAV1 and the nearest VOR tuned on NAV2. Now I don't really see the point why you have to tune the ILS frequency on BOTH NAV1 and NAV2...
The reason is because is the way Boeing design his 737 and the same reason as because you need to do it on the NGX

Can you post a picture of your panel when you hit CMD B?

Was the ground equipment certified to Cat II or higher standards?
Gatwick ILS' are both CAT3.