Sign in to follow this  
Guest tonyf38

Autoland in the real aircraft

Guest tonyf38

I will clear up some confusion on the Autoland function.. You all know by now the procedures how to set an autoland up, but, no 737 has a autopilot function that will steer the aircraft once you've touched down.. The autopilot must be disconnected, you can disconnect even if you have the runway in sight and land manually, this is done frequently.. This is because the 737's autopilot doesn't have a direct link to the rudder.. 747,767,777 different story, will track the centerline until you disconnect..

Hmmm. I think JAL has Fail Operational autopilots with rollout. On V1 cuts, you can leave your feet on the floor and fly straight as an arrow. Or so I was told by one of the Alteon guys who instructed there.

Matt Cee

Thanks, I have been trying for last three days to replicaty what I am doing in 747X, I wasn't seeing ROLLOUT in the NGX, but I do see FLAIR and ( RETARD on touchdown ) Is this classed as a full autoland in the 737NG? Mark

the 737 does have rollout, you must have the Collins autopilot, the IFSD and set the autoland capability from Fail Passive, to fail operational in the options, once you do that, you WILL get rollout mode, so yes CATIIIB is possiblewith fail passive option selected, you will only get flare but no rollout

the 737 does have rollout, you must have the Collins autopilot, the IFSD and set the autoland capability from Fail Passive, to fail operational in the options, once you do that, you WILL get rollout mode, so yes CATIIIB is possible with fail passive option selected, you will only get flare but no rollout
If I can get the NGX to auto FLAIR before touchdown I only need to select the Collins autopilot and the IFSD and then I will get ROLLOUT? I don't need to set anything elese? Mark

the 737 does have rollout, you must have the Collins autopilot, the IFSD and set the autoland capability from Fail Passive, to fail operational in the options, once you do that, you WILL get rollout mode, so yes CATIIIB is possible with fail passive option selected, you will only get flare but no rollout
... and all of this is described in the Flight Crew Training Manual, Chapter 5. Good reading if in doubt as to the capabilities. I have no doubt that the OP had the best intentions, but the FCTM says otherwise. Possibly "fail operational" systems in real-world 737's is still a rarity?

Are people talking about two different things here in a way? 1. Does the NGX have a rollout function?, and 2. You have to disconnect the a/p before you can steer on the ground. Just a thought.

I will clear up some confusion on the Autoland function.. You all know by now the procedures how to set an autoland up, but, no 737 has a autopilot function that will steer the aircraft once you've touched down.. The autopilot must be disconnected, you can disconnect even if you have the runway in sight and land manually, this is done frequently.. This is because the 737's autopilot doesn't have a direct link to the rudder.. 747,767,777 different story, will track the centerline until you disconnect..
This is actually not true. There is an option called fail operational which has automatic landing with roll out capabilities. Just have a look in the FCOM. Kind regards, Daniel Verhaal edit: sorry, didn't noticed the previous posts! :-)

Yup it has rollout as long as you have the proper equipment selected, interestingly enough, i landed with the fail passive system and taxied off the runway with both autopilots stll engaged, kinda cool

I think its more like:does the rollout function of the NGX autotracks the centerline or not ?If not I think you have to disengage the A/P to track the centerline ... but if it does autotrack the centerline you only need to disengage A/P for taxi

P.L. Tran

AMD Ryzen 5800x; 32 GB Ram; EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3; Win10 64 Bit

I can confirm it tracks the centreline spot on! At least, yesterday it did!One more thing, I'm almost sure that the roll out mode is a function of the nose wheel steering and not the rudder but please correct me if I'm wrong here! Regards, Daniel Verhaal

I can confirm it tracks the centreline spot on! At least, yesterday it did! One more thing, I'm almost sure that the roll out mode is a function of the nose wheel steering and not the rudder but please correct me if I'm wrong here! Regards, Daniel Verhaal
i think it's rudder, considering the fact that the rudder system does provide a little bit of nosewheel steering

I can confirm it tracks the centreline spot on! At least, yesterday it did!
I thought so too ... I haven't done many autolands (maybe 10-20), but all of them were deadcenter on different airports and wind conditions but I'm not sure if it really tracks the centerline or not

P.L. Tran

AMD Ryzen 5800x; 32 GB Ram; EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3; Win10 64 Bit