Sign in to follow this  
Thunderbird8

Stopping brakes failing / sticking..?

I had Autobrakes 2 set last night and came in at about 132kts (I was very light). I did as instructed in the tutorial and hit the manual brakes at just under 80kts. The brakes totally failed on landing and they then seemed stuck on. I then engaged and disengaged the parking brake, that released the stuck brakes. Then I had no brakes at all. This is bothering me and can't be at all realistic. Please don't ask me what my brake temperature was as I have no clue. I just want to turn the brake failures off while I'm learning to fly the damn thing.

I've been having some trouble with brake failures and it seems to be due to the use of engine reverser http://forum.avsim.net/topic/343834-rto-brake-heat-strange-discovery-pictures/page__view__findpost__p__2060231 I didn't end up submitting a support ticket as I mentioned in my second post. I am sure one of the staff would have seen the thread and are aware. I don't want to disturb them with a support ticket when they have more important problems to work through first.

I have had the same issue but couldn´t really pinpoint the cause. I did reverse that time as well, so that might be interfering with the brakes somehow.When just using the auto brakes without reverse, there is no problem. Menno

Menno 

i7-11700, 16GB, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, RTX 3070, Windows 11, MSFS 2020 DeLuxe, P3D 4.5

Hmm as for my problem I just tested it again three more times (since yesterday when I made that thread) and the brakes are working properly, gonna do some more checks.

I have had the same issue but couldn´t really pinpoint the cause. I did reverse that time as well, so that might be interfering with the brakes somehow.When just using the auto brakes without reverse, there is no problem. Menno
Yeah exactly.

Hi Guys, I also have issues with brakes. This starts as soon as I taxi. Followed the procedure and have the autobrake on RTO, but of course did nothing with the reverse thrust. Using Period does not brake at all. This does not happen on every flight, so I'm investigating what I do differently during the preparation. Anyone has the same issue? Thanks,Fabrice

Fabrice Lambert

Captains, The period key DOES WORK... As soon as you go below 60 knots on the rollout and the autobrakes kick in, press and HOLD the period key (1-2 secs) TWICE. This action will disarm the autobrakes.

I have found that double application of the footbrakes disconnects autobrake, it is a case of timing it correctly. I normally touch the pedal brakes at around 70kts then again... by then I am at 60 or just below, I have stowed the reversers again, and I roll out under manual braking. My touch down speeds have been around 130kts or perhaps just a little above. I am taking a bit to get used to the ground effect that appears to have been simulated. The last few feet are much more realistic, although my only reference is a Cessna 172! LOL... Andrew

Hmm, mostlyif I use autobrake, I don't use manual braking ...figuring let the autobrake do my work.Also, if I manual brake then I do not push the brake in rather like 70 %. And my brakes (CH pro peddals) are setup so that they work progressivelly meaning if I hit the brakes the first few movements is not picked up bythe system although the hardware is pushed in (the axis is also defined as an "S" for progressive braking). I also never have to taptwice the brake.I push to the metal and autobrakes and parking brakes switches off

Royski, It happens to me not only on landing, but also before takeoff, while taxiing.

Fabrice Lambert

It is very annoying to have the last little bit of a perfect flight ruined by this.
Just a suggestion. Why don't you just set the Auto-Brake to 2 ,then as you are flaring out and touch down don't touch the brakes at all as it gently slows down,or does so for me when carrying out an auto-land. I then pick up the throttle again,turn-off the speedbrake and then taxi to the nearest exit point,and am able to brake without any problems. In other words,let the Auto-Brake do the work for you.

Royski, It happens to me not only on landing, but also before takeoff, while taxiing.
This is probably not an autobrake problem. If you are unable to solve the problem, it's time to send PMDG a ticket.

Good idea, I'm going to do that next time. Now just got to get reverse thrust working...
You won't need the Reverse Thrust if you land at Vref as the Auto-Brake slows the aircraft well within the landing Runway envelope.I've not had the occasion to use the R/T once as I let the A/B do all the work for me.