Sign in to follow this  
dskviator

LNAV chasing at Cruise Wind>30kts

I apologize if this has been brought up earlier, but with 100s of topics in the last few days, I have been only following a few. I have had this problem at cruise where the acft will make wide turns to the left and right. Even limiting bank angles to 10 did not help. Switching to heading hold also did not help. All this happened when the wind touched 30 kts. I use registered version of FSUIPC and ASE and I have done recommended settings for Wind smoothing etc. I also use FSInn with weather disabled in it and ASE controls the weather with VATSIM Online option. To confirm what I was seeing, I 'Disabled Winds Aloft' and as soon as the wind dropped below 29 the acft straightened up. I enabled it and as the wind touched 30 kts, it did it again. Repeated it a few times and was able to reproduce the effect. I have had similar problems elsewhere too, but in those cases I wasn't paying attn, but yesterday it just caught my eye. Anybody else notice this? I am not near my computer now, so I can't remember all my ASE/FSUIPC settings, but would be glad to post info later in the evening PDT if anything specific is reqd. Cheers!!

Charan Kumar
FSX/XPX vPilot
VATSIM ZOA and Oceanic Controller (Pacific)

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has - Margaret Mead

FSX is notoriously not fond of winds aloft. I used to get major headaches in the 767. I think that's partly why PMDG did not model any weather radar.

I had exactly the same problems, it appeared to be something to do with FSUIPC.dll. You could try deleting FSUIPC.ini and then starting again. (this is mentioned in the NGX manual) you could also try re-installing FSUIPC and disabling the additional weather functions. Whilst not totally illuminating the problem, this did appear to help.

Interesting...I shall give that a try. Cheers!!

Charan Kumar
FSX/XPX vPilot
VATSIM ZOA and Oceanic Controller (Pacific)

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has - Margaret Mead

In FSUIPC, make sure you enable "Wind Smoothing" and check the box next to "turbulence" to supress the effect. If that still doesn't work, ceck the other two boxe supressing "gusts" and "variance". Always works.

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

FSX is notoriously not fond of winds aloft. I used to get major headaches in the 767. I think that's partly why PMDG did not model any weather radar.
Winds aloft has nothing to do with the issues modelling weather radar. The way FSX handles (or doesn't rather) precipitation modelling is the root reason.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

This is turning into a real problem for me.....it appears not to be related to time acceleration as yesterday the issue came back worse than ever. The NGX ended up turning 90 degrees ether side of track and I had to disable the AP. I haven't seen this issue so bad on ANY other addon including the whole stable of PMDG aircraft. Interestingly, removing ALL weather and re-setting the AP seems to help, but this is not a real option. It looks like some kind off over sensitivity in the AP algorithms and/or a problem with handling real world weather.

Root reason eh? That's why I used the word partly?
Perception modeling mentioned as root reason - winds aloft not even involved, probably not even semi-partly.

Ah finally someone with the same problem. I also have this issue sometimes, happened twice counting only yesterday. Also using FSUIPC and ASE for the weather. The airplane just goes turning like it has gone insane. Bank angle goes up to 90 degrees and even made a 180 turn yesterday. Switching to heading mode does not change anything, only way to resolve is to disconnect autopilot.

This is turning into a real problem for me.....it appears not to be related to time acceleration as yesterday the issue came back worse than ever. The NGX ended up turning 90 degrees ether side of track and I had to disable the AP. I haven't seen this issue so bad on ANY other addon including the whole stable of PMDG aircraft. Interestingly, removing ALL weather and re-setting the AP seems to help, but this is not a real option. It looks like some kind off over sensitivity in the AP algorithms and/or a problem with handling real world weather.
Ticket raised: 0C9-15DD14F3-66C6

I apologize if this has been brought up earlier, but with 100s of topics in the last few days, I have been only following a few. I have had this problem at cruise where the acft will make wide turns to the left and right. Even limiting bank angles to 10 did not help. Switching to heading hold also did not help. All this happened when the wind touched 30 kts. I use registered version of FSUIPC and ASE and I have done recommended settings for Wind smoothing etc. I also use FSInn with weather disabled in it and ASE controls the weather with VATSIM Online option. To confirm what I was seeing, I 'Disabled Winds Aloft' and as soon as the wind dropped below 29 the acft straightened up. I enabled it and as the wind touched 30 kts, it did it again. Repeated it a few times and was able to reproduce the effect. I have had similar problems elsewhere too, but in those cases I wasn't paying attn, but yesterday it just caught my eye. Anybody else notice this? I am not near my computer now, so I can't remember all my ASE/FSUIPC settings, but would be glad to post info later in the evening PDT if anything specific is reqd. Cheers!!
Charan : LNAV does not really care about your winds aloft. All it cares is your true track (not true or mag heading but true track). By the term chasing I suspect you mean changing course. That would be a result of violent wind shifts. Use smoothing. This not an NGx problem but a common issue. Compared to previous PMDG planes the NGx has two LNAV modes : capturing and on course. In the latter case the system relaxes considerably the gains. Note that a wind shift of 20 knots in half a second would result in a heck of a wind shear situation in real life. Sustained wind gradients of this magnitude would break a plane. At altitude even worse. General Advice to All concerned: I understand from many comments in the forum that a lot of people writing here and posting issues comprise a new generation of simmers (welcome aboard) that never flew enough the old NG or the 74 or the MD. For a few folk this is their first complex add on. A lot of weather related issues reported are with us the last 10 years or more. To a very large extent FSX is still FS98 in a lot of areas (or even older). While a few of the answers provided are useful I suggest some googling and search. Something useful will surely come up (e.g. how to smooth). Check out also Pete Dowson's and ASE's forum (if you use these products) there is a lot of specific info there regarding weather that would take pages to copy. We cannot provide supports for 10 different add on's from 10 different vendors in the final analysis. Note that despite considerable experience I do the same from time to time because it is always useful to check out new ideas.

====================================

E M V

Precision Manuals Development Group

====================================

Charan : LNAV does not really care about your winds aloft. All it cares is your true track (not true or mag heading but true track). By the term chasing I suspect you mean changing course. That would be a result of violent wind shifts. Use smoothing. This not an NGx problem but a common issue. Compared to previous PMDG planes the NGx has two LNAV modes : capturing and on course. In the latter case the system relaxes considerably the gains. Note that a wind shift of 20 knots in half a second would result in a heck of a wind shear situation in real life. Sustained wind gradients of this magnitude would break a plane. At altitude even worse. General Advice to All concerned: I understand from many comments in the forum that a lot of people writing here and posting issues comprise a new generation of simmers (welcome aboard) that never flew enough the old NG or the 74 or the MD. For a few folk this is their first complex add on. A lot of weather related issues reported are with us the last 10 years or more. To a very large extent FSX is still FS98 in a lot of areas (or even older). While a few of the answers provided are useful I suggest some googling and search. Something useful will surely come up (e.g. how to smooth). Check out also Pete Dowson's and ASE's forum (if you use these products) there is a lot of specific info there regarding weather that would take pages to copy. We cannot provide supports for 10 different add on's from 10 different vendors in the final analysis. Note that despite considerable experience I do the same from time to time because it is always useful to check out new ideas.
Firstly thanks for your input, it's appreciated. In my humble opinion this is not just a winds issue. I am seeing the same behavior without violent wind shifts. In fact I've noticed it with wind shifts below 5 degrees of less than 5 knots which would not be unusual in real life. I have extensive sim experience and have never seen this in 20 years on any add-on aircraft in similar circumstances. I don't believe the severity of the issue is common because as I've said, I've never seen it this extreme before on any other aircraft. I'll attempt to nail down the variables over the next few days and post some videos. I'll concentrate on various weather configurations and FSUIPC configurations. Also running comparisons with PMDG MD11 and 747X may be useful.