Sign in to follow this  
CrashEd

How to fly practice circuits

Last night I was messing around trying to fly a few practice circuits at EGKK. I basically hand flew the jet on a rough circuit and intercepted the glide slope at the correct altitude. Is there a more elegant way of doing this? Could I make better use of the autopilot to fly the downwind and base legs? I'd be interested to see how other people fly practice circuits and what their procedure is. Cheers,Ed

Ed Haslam

Circuits are flown manually, just put a 3.5NM range ring around the airport on the ND and fly the pattern at 1500'AGL. After that it's just basic flying skill. There's no point in flying a circuit with the AP engaged as the point of flying in the pattern is to get a feel for how the aircraft handles... Takeoff with flaps 25, retract flaps to 5 after takeoff, flaps 30 for landing, on touch down, stand the throttles up, set flaps to 25, trim the aircraft then advance the power levers to TOGA power for the takeoff, don't arm autobrakes or spoilers on final. That's all I can think of ATM...

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Flaps 25 for TO? Just wondering, I have never realized so a high flap setting is actually used for TO. I had in mind, 5 or 10 as max.

Lennart

Banner_MJC11.png

If you want to try doing them semi-autopilot then... Enter route to FMC to/from your airport, from dep/arr page put the departing and arrving runways and put in a low cruise altitude (say 3000) and a low speed(say 220-240), do all the normal FMC stuff for a departure, you can fly using a combination of LVL CHG, HDG SEL and SPD. Adjust your heading via HDG SEL for crosswind, downwind,base leg and intercept course. Descent you can use LVL CHG, speed adjustments via the SPD knob etc. Set up for a normal arrival (ILS or otherwise) so FMC flaps etc. On short final you can hit TOGA to go around and repeat the above. Remembering to reset INIT REF for each approach and making sure the G/S is reset to ON on the INIT REF page. Don't forget on Downwind that it's your chance to go and fetch another beer. It's more fun hand-flying it but you don't get the extra beer.

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

Circuits are flown manually, just put a 3.5NM range ring around the airport on the ND and fly the pattern at 1500'AGL. After that it's just basic flying skill. There's no point in flying a circuit with the AP engaged as the point of flying in the pattern is to get a feel for how the aircraft handles... Takeoff with flaps 25, retract flaps to 5 after takeoff, flaps 30 for landing, on touch down, stand the throttles up, set flaps to 25, trim the aircraft then advance the power levers to TOGA power for the takeoff, don't arm autobrakes or spoilers on final. That's all I can think of ATM...
That's a really good rundown, thanks I was interested in knowing that. I have seen that famous youtube real life vid where they do this again and again.I suppose Flaps25 is all you can get because Flaps 5 would take too long to reach during the brief time on the runway?

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

depends on the payload and fuel - i flew the last two legs empty and with 1/3 of Fuel. TO with Flaps 5°, 22k thrust and my good baby just skyrocketed out of 31°C Vegas towards Portland, OR. (Still training flight with missed approaches, holdings, alternates, .... - i fly those in the us somewhere near and around KBFI before ferrying it to its ultimate destination AUSTRIA)

For a little more SA, perf the FMC. Load the departure airport in the origin and destination. Select the runway in the departure page. Now you will have an extended center line on your nav display. Dial in the ILS if there is one available, just gives more SA. If you want, use the HGS for the flight path vector. I like to use 15 flaps since it's the flap of choice for go-around. That way I keep the touch n go and go around the same.

True. And don't forget to reset your trim. Furthermore basic FMS initialization makes sense because of speeds. I don't even know if you need retract the flaps completely during the procedure, I'd probably leave them at 5. sig.gif

Not going to say it! Have you tried starting out with the Cessna tutorials in FSX.VFR, IFR, Precision App etc Something similiar as we do in the RW? Or ,, never mind
Yeah, really useful mate, thanks for that. Why don't you try and read the thread properly before posting. Many others have read it perfectly, and have posted some very useful advice. If you are going to at least try to be funny and smart you should put some effort into your spelling and punctuation. Never mind... Back on topic...
Excellent Ronan, just what I was after. The range ring is a great tip for hand flying.
If you want to try doing them semi-autopilot then... Enter route to FMC to/from your airport, from dep/arr page put the departing and arrving runways and put in a low cruise altitude (say 3000) and a low speed(say 220-240), do all the normal FMC stuff for a departure, you can fly using a combination of LVL CHG, HDG SEL and SPD. Adjust your heading via HDG SEL for crosswind, downwind,base leg and intercept course. Descent you can use LVL CHG, speed adjustments via the SPD knob etc. Set up for a normal arrival (ILS or otherwise) so FMC flaps etc. On short final you can hit TOGA to go around and repeat the above. Remembering to reset INIT REF for each approach and making sure the G/S is reset to ON on the INIT REF page. Don't forget on Downwind that it's your chance to go and fetch another beer. It's more fun hand-flying it but you don't get the extra beer.
Great procedure Bill, I'll give that a go. Many thanks. Good beer tactics too! Peace.gif
For a little more SA, perf the FMC. Load the departure airport in the origin and destination. Select the runway in the departure page. Now you will have an extended center line on your nav display. Dial in the ILS if there is one available, just gives more SA. If you want, use the HGS for the flight path vector. I like to use 15 flaps since it's the flap of choice for go-around. That way I keep the touch n go and go around the same.
Nice!

Ed Haslam

This is THE video to learn how to fly touch and goes/visual patterns with the 737:

Regards, Christopher Volle I just LOVE the "Flare - Squeeze - Flaps 15 - Stand 'em up - Push 'em up - Rotate"- Thing...

Regards,
Chris Volle

i7700k @ 4,7, 32gb ram, Win10, MSI GTX1070.

hmm flaps 25 way to much use flaps 15.. then once the gear comes up retract to 5.... On crosswind leg you should be flaps 5 gear up 192 kts. on downwind you should be slowing the airplane to VREF + 30 Select flaps 15 mid field. Starting base leg turn drop gear Select landing flaps. On final you should be at VREF +5 gear down and stabilized by 700 feet. LAND AS NORMAL. As soon as the mains touch bring throttles to about 50% N1 and retract flaps to 15 then add TO THRUST rotate at VREF +20 and repeat

Here it is, knew this was out on the internet somewhere..... http://www.smartcock.../diagrams/0012/
Exactly what is demonstrated in the video - he/they did a perfect job..... tongue.png Christopher Volle

Regards,
Chris Volle

i7700k @ 4,7, 32gb ram, Win10, MSI GTX1070.

I just LOVE the "Flare - Squeeze - Flaps 15 - Stand 'em up - Push 'em up - Rotate"- Thing...
Me too, but I'm not quite familiar with the term 'squeeze' in this context...!? sig.gif