Sign in to follow this  
Flaps30

Tried to Install FSX SDK

I just installed FSX on my new homebuilt system (Win 7 -64 bit-SP 1) while following NickN's steps and decided to install the SDK in case I may need it later. After the FSX install I closed FSX then reinserted Disk 1 and found the SDK folder. When I clicked on the folder to open it to find the EXE file, I immediately got the "busy circle" cursor, and the green progress bar at the top of the window. It progressed almost to the end, then just stayed there. My HD light stayed on , and the DVD drive light kept flashing for a half hour or so, and it seemed to be locked up. I had to eject the disk. I retried, and the same thing happpened again. I could not get in that SDK folder to browse to the exe file without it starting the cursor and "green bar".My concern is did this alter my FSX installation in any way since it obviously didn't install properly. Also, how do I install it correctly, and undo any files it may have already altered?? Thanks. Tom

Thanks for the help, Dmaher,The problem is, I can't get into the SDK folder. As soon as I put the disk in the drive, I get the option window to run the FSX install or browse the files on the disk. I go to browse but when I click on the SDK folder the drive light starts blinking and my hd light comes on steady. it's like it goes into a loop. I can only get out of it by ejecting the disk. I think I have the required prerequisite files installed or FSX would not have installed, right? Thanks again, Tom

There is a problem with the W7 explorer when browsing the FSX disks. Try copying the disks to a new folder on your hard drive and run the msi from there.

There is a problem with the W7 explorer when browsing the FSX disks. Try copying the disks to a new folder on your hard drive and run the msi from there.
This happened to me on my current system. I could install FSX, I could get into the SDK folder and start the SDK install, but it would just sit there and never finish. I could not even get the SDK folder copied to my HD. I had to go buy a USB CD drive and use that to get the SDK folders copied to my HD, I still could not install from the FSX CD even using the USB CD drive. So for me it was also my DVD along with the FSX CD that caused problems.

Thanks for the help, guys. Unfortunately, I tried to copy the SDK folder to another folder but as soon as I click on it, the hd and DVD start running in an enless loop. This starts as soon as I open explorer. If I just click on the SDK folder the cursor starts its endless circling. I also tried the Acceleration Disk. Same problem. Tom

I just went through this process two days ago on a brand new i7 2600 computer I bought to replace my now ancient i7 920 'puter. The problem is that the popup menu for the SDK is in the background and can't be seen! Minimize Explorer (and any other open windows) to "see" the popup install menu for the SDK...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

You can also try putting the CD into a Vista or XP computer, copy the SDK folders to a USB jump drive, then copy from the USB jump drive to your Win7 PC HDD.

n4gix,Thanks for the help. I tried again and reduced the explorer window but there is nothing going on behind the window. It simply locks up with a spinning cursor as soon as I click on the folder. Thanks. Tom

n4gix,Thanks for the help. I tried again and reduced the explorer window but there is nothing going on behind the window. It simply locks up with a spinning cursor as soon as I click on the folder. Thanks. Tom
I should have added this as well; right-click on the SDK installer and choose "Run as Administrator."

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks for all the help, guys. I tried right clicking on the folder but "Run as Administrator" is not listed as an option.GHD, FreeCommander worked! I downloaded it and it opened the FSX Disk 1 SDK files with no problems. Thanks again. Case solved. dance.gif Tom

Glad to have helped Whew.gif George

I am grateful to have found this thread - was having the exact same problem and was beginning to suspect the condition of my disc. FreeCommander worked like a charm - can be found here.

Signature.jpg

Mine worked like a charm without the FreeCommander. And Yes, it is Windows 7.