Sign in to follow this  
pilatus

Porpoising during CLIMB!

Hello,after the Hotfixes I notice that during climb ops in both VNAV & LNAV,the plane tends to rock up and down(oscilating) constantly, I suppose to keep the required climb speed? Anyone having this problem as well? I have loaded the plane via fmc as required. I did have this problem before the Hotfix!Another question to PMDG staff - If I do uninstall the NGX, or format, and reinstall, do I need to use the same activation code sent via e-mail after purchase? If not what am I to do in this scenario? THANKSpilatus

Hello,after the Hotfixes I notice that during climb ops in both VNAV & LNAV,the plane tends to rock up and down(oscilating) constantly, I suppose to keep the required climb speed? Anyone having this problem as well? I have loaded the plane via fmc as required. I did have this problem before the Hotfix!Another question to PMDG staff - If I do uninstall the NGX, or format, and reinstall, do I need to use the same activation code sent via e-mail after purchase? If not what am I to do in this scenario? THANKSpilatus
I'm experiencing this as well. Usually it's not that bad, but sometimes oscillations result in climb speeds of >3000ft/min, only to bounce back to 1500-1800ft the next moment. Not really pleasant for passengers.I wonder whether the real-world NG has some kind of vertical speed limits that is never exceeded in order to prevent such fluctuation.

Dave P. Woycek

I hadn't really noticed the porpoising, except for minimal fluctuations in pitch to maintaina speed. But I did uninstall once, and re-installed. I was expecting to have to re-activate,but it didn't seem to require it the second time for some reason. I fired it up, and off it wentwith no prompts to register like the first time. So maybe it left something in the registry orsomething.. Not sure..

Had this since the first release version. Tried every sort of FSUIPC/ASE option to fix it without success, so will be submitting a ticket for this soon.

Thanks, but would also like to hear from PMDG team before undertaking a format - fearing activation problems after a clean install! NOT to say there will be, I just want peace of mind. pilatus

Is your airspeed fluctuating while this is happening or is it just deciding to climb out of the blue?

I had a similar problem when I had my turbulence effects on, I think that the NGX is highly sensitive to FSX's unrealistic turbulence.In the FS Display/weather and FSUIPC options, you must disable/surpess all turbulence effects. Its also says to do this in the intro manual. Alex

I have disabled turbulence effects in FSX and am having the same problem.

Yes, I have experienced it too, only for me it happened immediately after the TOD was passed and the MCP retarded the throttles. Rate of pitch change was quite high, about one complete porpoise per 2 seconds or so. It did eventually go away, once after I diconnected the A/P, then immediately reconnected it, and one other time I just left it and it eventually went away. I fly with turb effects on usually, so it could very well be that issue, though apart from the occasional mad S turning I don't mind a bit of bumping about.

I haven't seen this so far with my NGX, but in real life, the 737 is doing this sometimes as well ! Especially when in VNAV and with a high climb Mach number it starts pumping while trying to maintain its speed. The only way out is to reduce the climb speed ( increases rate of climb ), or change to Vertical Speed mode ( be careful, not protected !).

Still having the same problem as well during the climbing phase even after trying all FSUPIC/ASE set-ups I found on this and other forums. Sometimes it seems that only 1-2 knots or degrees of wind change is enough to make the NGX oscillate up and down.

Intro Manual !!! Weather section..................page 15 & 16. I always has that porpoising problem until I changed FSX's weather settings as recommended by PMDG.

I have noticed this odd behavior as well and I have not yet installed either of the hotfixes, since I seem to recall several folks reporting that some things stopped working. Just a bit leary since I really have not had any major issues as yet

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

Sorry to resurrect this one but it's a while since I've flown. I have followed the manual to the letter however the aircraft porpoised and oscillated through the entire climb to FL340. That was with a wind on the nose of about 11kts. Ideas? I don't have the full version of FSUIPC so 'weather smoothing' isn't an option for me.

I don't have the full version of FSUIPC so 'weather smoothing' isn't an option for me.
If you do not have ASE or FSUIPC there really is not much more you can do. I would recommend you register fsuipc and keep all weather settings off in FSUIPC except the disable turbulence option. ASE will do the rest and you won't have to disable turbulence in FSX. If you do it in FSX you lose turbulence completely. If you do it in FSUIPC you lose some but not all. FSUIPC and ASE are 2 of the most important add-ons you will invest in for FSX. Not something you want to be without.