Sign in to follow this  
Jetman67

Real World NGX Pilots how on earth do you remember all this

You have to be really above average to get a cadetship, its ridiculous the hoops you have to jump through. I am an average person and think i could have been a really good airline pilot but I never would have passed the aptitude testing as there is people much smarter abd some also have lots of money to position themself, thats life the rich the poor, the smart and the not so smart Wayne
+1.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Oh but it's the age hahaha , Let's c I have some ground training which I did a few years back just barely remember anything :), wow that's a whooping sponsorship amount. And plus there is a different commitment now but whenever I can I will try for it. gracias.
Oh well, yeah, most of those cadet pilot programs have age restrictions... basically they want people who are right out of highschool and that have no pilot training at all. Seems unreasonable considering the amount of unemployed pilots around the world. Only in Spain there are some 6000 pilots that have no jobs. Most come from airlines that went bankrupt on the last recession so, most have many thousands of jet hours (737s). It's gotten impossible to compete with them as most airlines have raised their entry requisites.

Omar Josef
737/757/767

This is a very honest and realistic recommendation to the younger simmers. Go and become pilots BUT:. If you have the slightest doubt that you will not be able to go on and on for years seeing your school mates get successful at other more boring jobs, and that you might not have enough money to pay and pay and then pay for more training as the market dictates (and it will)... study something else too, and take pilot training easy. Don't waste your life on a career that has nothing to do with what it was in the 90s (80s).
Or do it through the military first, then become a civilian pilot after you've 'retired'. I went for an RAF scholarship some time ago and passed everything but my eyesight test. Sometime you just have to deal with the cards your given! It's PMDG for me all the way now :( Very interesting insights guys, thanks for sharing.

Ed Haslam

I have my health, my family and the PMDG 737 NGX whilst I wish I was a FO on a 737 I am grateful for the goods things I do have. If I really want to I can go jump in a duchess and go for a spin, I did let me flying lapse as I just get tired of the constant cost but I always have the option of getting into it if I get my mo jo back Wayne

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

Oh well, yeah, most of those cadet pilot programs have age restrictions... basically they want people who are right out of highschool and that have no pilot training at all. Seems unreasonable considering the amount of unemployed pilots around the world. Only in Spain there are some 6000 pilots that have no jobs. Most come from airlines that went bankrupt on the last recession so, most have many thousands of jet hours (737s). It's gotten impossible to compete with them as most airlines have raised their entry requisites.
Yeah they want to catch them just at the right age, probably could be due to the SA and the younger ones pick up faster , that's bad that 6000 pilots are without jobs. Some who do the training are not too good at even basic maths LIKE ME Big Grin.gif , if you ask me to calculate a deviation I will start wondering now how on earth would I do that, but I will give you the answer after a couple of minutes. So the SA and the quickness matters a lot. There are many who start from the Air Force and then jump to the greener versions.

i suppose it all about their return on investment, would be a lot cheaper though to employ experienced pilots that are out of work and would make a lot more sense Wayne

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

There are many who start from the Air Force and then jump to the greener versions.
That is not as common today. The new tendencies is to reduce cost and time for training and even new licenses exist now. An example is the multi-pilot license (which i think is bull***t). It allows you to fly multipilot airplanes, and only multipilot airplanes. The training is done purely on simulator. ...people flying on the right seat of passenger airplanes with no general aviation experience or solo flight.

Omar Josef
737/757/767

Hard work and dedication! If I could do this for a living I would be in heaven! (and it would be worth all of the hard work and dedication!)
You really think so? I'm not a pilot but my imagination tells me that up to 8 rotations a day, flying in and out of airports I've flown in and out of countless times before, with the stress of meeting tight schedules and trying to get enough sleep could lose it's attraction after a while. Iain Smith

That is not as common today. The new tendencies is to reduce cost and time for training and even new licenses exist now. An example is the multi-pilot license (which i think is bull***t). It allows you to fly multipilot airplanes, and only multipilot airplanes. The training is done purely on simulator. ...people flying on the right seat of passenger airplanes with no general aviation experience or solo flight.
Does that have an age limit ?

i think that is very true it would become draining after several years but at least you doing what you love, i have met a few that have left the airline game burnt out so does happen, a lot of stress Wayne

Wayne such

Yes stress we hear it all the time.

What Flexman says about ending up in Africa flying dodgy aircraft is so true, I know many people in the same situation. And even those flying shiny new jets out in the sandpit or far east have a really tough time and are overworked beyond belief. One thing loading up the NGX at your leisure, a completely diiferent story flying the real thing late at night with tech issues, dog tired and one screw up means best case scenario you get a grilling from management, worst case you are out of a job or not going home to see your family. Best advice my old man gave me, earn enough money to fly your own aircraft.

Rob Prest

This is a very honest and realistic recommendation to the younger simmers. Go and become pilots BUT:. If you have the slightest doubt that you will not be able to go on and on for years seeing your school mates get successful at other more boring jobs, and that you might not have enough money to pay and pay and then pay for more training as the market dictates (and it will)... study something else too, and take pilot training easy. Don't waste your life on a career that has nothing to do with what it was in the 90s (80s).
It's a real shame just how much our industry has deteriorated since I began back in the mid 80's. The past 8-10 years have been particularly grim, with make young and skilled people being turned away from our industry. Things are changing though, for those who don't know, EIN, BA, KLM, Lufthansa, Flybe, WX, Cathay Pacific, Ethihad and Emirates are all now running their own form of pilot sponsorship. It's not what it was back when I was taken on, but it's a hell of an improvement over the last few years of having to pay to work the line... My advice to anyone coming to this industry, is to get a degree, then apply for a sponsorship and accept nothing less, write to airlines not running sponsorships and request one. You have to come across as being worth the investment to the airline, but if it means a garanteed place at the end of your training, you'll be a foot up on everyone else. Our profession may have as much glamour as it did in the 60's and 70's, but if you love flying then you wouldn't change it for the world. Just be realistic about it.... Rónán.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

I would never be turned away from it, just love flying. I was thinking if I could just get all the endorsements, ppl, cpl, multi engine endorsement, IFR, retractable gear etc could I then apply write to an airline. If I pass year 12 and everything and have all the necessary licences, how could they say no.

I would never be turned away from it, just love flying. I was thinking if I could just get all the endorsements, ppl, cpl, multi engine endorsement, IFR, retractable gear etc could I then apply write to an airline. If I pass year 12 and everything and have all the necessary licences, how could they say no.
Very easily unfortunately, sorry to burst your bubblemellow.png ....

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg