Sign in to follow this  
Iccccie

Start-up from cold and dark

Ok guys it makes me really sad seeing some of you complaining about PMDG's works and efforts and for not releasing the tutorial 2 yet.They have some issues to deal with before they finnish the second tutorial, and for me, this is absolutely the right approach from PMDG, please respect it. So i thought why not write a small guide for starting this bird up from cold and dark state.This is just to get you going, if you want more details about all the checks you do in the real bird you really should read the supplied FCOM 1 & 2. Don't complain about this.Set panelstate to cold and dark. So, first we need some electrical power:- On the overhead panel - 1. Battery Switch ------------ Guard Closed. Just close the guard, this will flick the bat switch to ON - Voila ! You now have DC power in the plane -2. Standby Power switch ------- Guard closed. Same here, just close the guard and it will flick the switch to Auto. - This will power up some more, like the FMC, DU (PFD & ND display screens)But we need more then just DC power from the battery, or we will drain the battery. There are two means of getting AC. We either start the APU, or we use the Ground Power. Lets go with the ground power since some airports have restrictions of how long you can run the APU before leaving the gate. Press MENU on the CDU (FMC screen) Press the right key next to FS ACTIONS. Then the LEFT key left of GROUND CONNECTIONS. Make sure the Wheel Chocks are set. (SET shown in red). Now press the key left of Ground Power so "connected" show up in red. Now head up for the Overhead panel again, a blue GRD Power Available should be illuminated. Click the GRD Power switch. You should see several lights illuminating and some lights extinguishes. The lights that should go out is: Transfer bus OFF and Source OFF.- You now have AC and DC coming from the ground cart outside your window, well actually only 115V 400hz AC but is then rectified in the airplane to 28V DC. That was it for the power bit. Lets continue with cockpit preperation: - On the aft overhead panel -1. IRS mode selectors---------- OFF, then Nav. Switch both rotary selectors first to OFF then to ALIGN. - On DC will first illuminate then extinguish and a white ALIGN light will illuminate. This means that the aircrafts two inertial reference systems will warm up and align them self. This Align process will take som time, depending on your settings on the CDU options. You can find it through: Press MENU on CDU, PMDG Setup > Option > Simulation > IRS OPTION. Here you can choose between: Realistic (about 10 minutes), Fast 30 seconds or Instant. When the IRS's have finnished aligning the white ALIGN ligts will begin flashing and you will have a FMC message saying "Enter IRS position". - Log on to the FMC on the CDU. This will get you to the IDENT page. On the lower left corner on the screen you will have "POS INIT" press the key next to it.2. Now you are on the POS INIT page. -Press CLR on the CDU a couple of times if you have any messages like "Enter IRS Position" and "Dual FMC restored" -Enter the ICAO designators for the airport you are at and click the key next to "Ref Airport" -Press Next page one time -You will se GPS R and GPS L and their positions. Click one of them and the position will be copied to the CDU scratchpad. -Press Prev page -You should se some square boxes below "SET IRS POS", click the key next to it on the right side. - Voila, you've set the aircrafts IRS position, the aircraft now now exactly where it is and the PFD and ND display come alive. Now lets start with the overhead panel flow:-On the overhead- 1. Flight Control Panel ----------- Check This is the panel in the upper left corner, there are four black guarded switches and one red guarded. - All the guarded switches should be closed. - Switch Yaw Damper ON. The Yaw damper light should go out. - You should have two LOW Pressure lights illuminated.2. Navigation Panel ----------- SET. The panel just below the flight control panel -All switches should be set to NORMAL3. Display panel ----------- SET. Yes just one panel below - Rotary switch set to Auto and the flip switch to Normal4. Fuel Panel ------------ Set. Panel below that is white -All Fuel Pumps should be switched to OFF. And allt the LOW PRESSURE light should be illuminated5. Now move to top again just and just right to the Flight Control Panel6. Battery Switch ----------- ON, Gaurded. It already should be in this position.7. CAB/UTIL switch ---------- ON This is so the cabin and galleys get their power8. IFE/PASS Seat ----------- ON This is power for the In Flight Entertainment system and Passenger power outlets.9. STANDBY POWER switch -------- Guard closed It already should be in this positionBUS TRANSFER switch -------- Guard closed10. Once again move up to the top and move one panel to the right (Starting to get the flow?)11. EQUIPMENT COOLING switches ---------- NORM Both switches (supply and exhaust) should be in Norm12. EMER EXIT Lights -------- ARMED Just close the Guard, this puts the switch to armed.13. Passenger Signs -------- ON or AUTO14. Window Heat Switches --------- ON Throw all four switches to on. (you already knew you should point up here, right?)15. Probe Heat Switches --------- OFF Both to off, for now.16. Wing Anti-Ice and Engine Anti Ice ----- OFF17. Hydraulic Panel ---------------- Set - ENG pumps -------------- ON Always leave them on to reduce wear on the valve. - ELEC pumps ------------- OFF18. Air conditioning panel---------------- SET - Trim Air switch ----------------------- ON - Recirculation Fan switches ------- Auto Both L and R - L & R Pack switches --------------- Auto or High - Isolation Valve Switch ------------- Open - Engine Bleed switches ------------ ON They are just numbered 1 and 2 - APU Bleed switch ------------------- ON -Set CRZ and landing altitud on the pressurization panel.That finnishes the overhead panel. Now you can start your FMC programming. I will not talk about it because its already in tutorial 1. When you have finnished programming you can continue with next step, starting the APU. -Starting APU On overhead panel - 1. Just flip the switch to START. It requires two clicks, one click sets it just to ON, it wont start.- The LOW Oil Pressure light will illuminate for some seconds and then extinguish. You will also se the EGT rising and peak then decrease a bit.- The APU is ready to be used when the APU GEN OFF light illuminates on the ELEC Panel.- You can click both APU gen switches downwards, this will switch from ground power to APU GEN power. Ready for starting the engines? Sure? Okay, lets go. - Start on the overhead -1. Put all the Fuel pumps to ON2. Switch on the Anti Collision Light.3. Packs -------- OFF switch both L & R Pack switches to OFF4. The ignition switch between the engine start switches can be in either L or R or BOTH, it really doesn't matter. It doesn't have anything to do with ignition to the right or left engine. Both engines have two seperate ignitions systems for redundancy, one left and one right on each engine.5. Start one of the engines by rotating the Engine start switch to GRD. The engine will spool up.6. Now look down on the DU that displays the N2 value. ( Click the ENG button just left of the autobrake selector if you don't see any N2 value) - When N2 reaches 24-25% N2 Flip the fuel cutoff lever behind the throttle on the respective engine to IDLE now watch your engine instruments. You should se a stable EGT increase and N1% and N2%.7. Do the same for the next engine.8. When both engines are running, Move up to the overhead again and put both Engine Generators ---- ON.9. Now you can shut down you APU.10. Switch on both Probe heaters11. Packs L+R------ ON12. Switch on both ELEC HYD Pumps. Now you are ready for taxi!I hope this little guide will help some of you to startup from cold and dark state!Happy Flying!

sorry but couldn't get the forum "list"-function to work properly, this is as good as i got it

Well done !!Lots of people have been asking about the startup procedure.

Thankyou! Hopefully this will cut down the posts for a C&D - C&D tutorial!!! im Not Worthy.gif

I actually found that PMDG "Cold & Dark" is not so cold and dark for me, I edited the CFG that initializes the plane and turned off even more switches and such, I now have a truly DARK panel on start-up.... :)

Ok guys it makes me really sad seeing some of you complaining about PMDG's works and efforts and for not releasing the tutorial 2 yet.They have some issues to deal with before they finnish the second tutorial, and for me, this is absolutely the right approach from PMDG, please respect it. So i thought why not write a small guide for starting this bird up from cold and dark state.This is just to get you going, if you want more details about all the checks you do in the real bird you really should read the supplied FCOM 1 & 2. Don't complain about this. Set panel state to Cold and Dark. I hope this little guide will help some of you to startup from cold and dark state!Happy Flying!lcccie
I cleaned this up just a little, spell checked it, added a bit of bold highlighting and made a pdf for you to download. All credit to lcccie. Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Thank you Ray, how kind of you!
My pleasure. Ray

There's a missing line just before spooling up an engine. First and for always Engine 2 is started up unless being told by the captain. While using ASU (Air Starter Unit) some of the captains want you to check engine 1 and then engine 1 is started up but it's a very rare procedure.

Outstanding post! Well done for taking the time to create this. Should city down some of the pointless 'I want tutorial #2' threads. Ray, as ever, thank you! :(

Ed Haslam

Hey all, this tutorial is fantastic but I do have one question though. When I go to set up the IRS, two things are not happening and i am not sure why. First, the white align lights do not flash and there is no message on the FMC saying "Enter IRS position" (I am set for 30 second align)second, I do not get the "SET IRS POS" and square boxes when I page back to first page. The result of this is I cannot set my ground position thus no PFD and ND, etc etc I have tried a number of ways of doing this and still no luck. I am sure i am doing something wrong but not sure what. Incidently, I did install hotfix, do not know if this is related Thanks in advanceforget all this, i got it to work. Here is how: I set IRS to align just like it stated and let the lights go out. I then reset L and R to off then back to NAV and voila Never fails, after fighting with it for an hour then posting, I finally find the method, lol Thanks

Thank for great tutorial but add this things at end page 1irs mode selectors - navpage 3 before starting engineground connection - wheel chocks - removedground pwr - offend page 3no 11 : auto not onadd this linesno 13 : apu bleed - offno 14 : isolation valve - auto ClémentQuébecCanada

Thank for great tutorial but add this things at end page 1irs mode selectors - navpage 3 before starting engineground connection - wheel chocks - removedground pwr - offend page 3no 11 : auto not onadd this linesno 13 : apu bleed - offno 14 : isolation valve - auto ClémentQuébecCanada
Should we have a Pushback Section?

Should we have a Pushback Section?
No need Ray !! This is just startup.